Velocity Reviews

-   -   Upgrading IOS on 1841 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t433827-upgrading-ios-on-1841-a.html)

Larry 01-27-2007 08:25 PM

Upgrading IOS on 1841

I'm trying to upgrade the IOS on a 1841 router. Since I'm not
a Cisco whiz I thought I would check here to make sure I'm not
screwing things up beyond repair.

Current version is 12.3(8)YG
Upgrading to 12.4(11)T
Device has 128M RAM (116736/14336)
Flash has 32M

There is not enough room on the flash card for both images
currently. Not sure what all of the other files are but will
leave them alone.

I have a couple of options:
Try replacing the image on the flash card with the newer
one... or
Boot via TFTP and make sure everything works before replacing
the image.

I'm not sure of the safest method. I think I know how to do
either but don't have a clue how to recover if I screw things
up.

Here's the plan for replacing the image...
Backup current IOS image and config (already done)
Delete current image from flash to make room for the new
image. (delete flash:/<image_name>)
Copy new image to flash. (copy tftp: flash:)
Change the boot config. (boot system flash <image_name>)
Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
Issue reload command.

or

Change the boot config. (boot system tftp <image_name>)
Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
If things work correctly, replace the image using the above
procedure.

Am I completely clueless or will this work? How do I recover
if things go bad?

Searching the Cisco website is like the proverbial needle in a
haystack. If anyone can point me to a place with the info I
need that would great. I've searched but everything seems to
point back to Cisco.

Thanks,
Larry

headsetadapter.com 01-27-2007 08:40 PM

Re: Upgrading IOS on 1841

Larry,

You can use either way. Booting from TFTP will give you a "warm and fuzzy
feeling" that new IOS is working fine. At the same time you can format your
flash, copy a new image, and set a local IOS file as a first in the
sequence, and use TFTP Boot option with an old IOS as a fallback.

By the way, why don't you try a "Cisco Network Assistant" to upgrade your
software? It works good for me...

Good luck,

Mike
------
Cisco IP Phone Headset Adapters
www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

www.BradReese.Com 01-27-2007 10:47 PM

Re: Upgrading IOS on 1841

Hi Larry,

Restrictions for Upgrading the System Image:

Cisco 1800 series routers support only external compact flash memory
cards.

Internal flash memory is not supported.

For more details, see:

Troubleshooting and Maintenance: Using CompactFlash Memory Cards

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/
prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a00802c35d3.html

as well as Cisco 1800 series routers - Troubleshooting and
Maintenance: Upgrading the System Image:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/
prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a00802c35d5.html

Larry, hope this helps.

Brad Reese
Cisco Resumes
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-resumes.htm

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk 01-28-2007 01:12 AM

Re: Upgrading IOS on 1841

On 27 Jan, 22:47, "www.BradReese.Com" <R...@BradReese.Com> wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> Restrictions for Upgrading the System Image:
>
> Cisco 1800 series routers support only external compact flash memory
> cards.
>
> Internal flash memory is not supported.
>
> For more details, see:
>
> Troubleshooting and Maintenance: Using CompactFlash Memory Cards
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/
> prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a00802c35d3.html
>
> as well as Cisco 1800 series routers - Troubleshooting and
> Maintenance: Upgrading the System Image:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/
> prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a00802c35d5.html
>
> Larry, hope this helps.
>
> Brad Reese
> Cisco Resumeshttp://www.bradreese.com/cisco-resumes.htm

There are a number of issues here.

Firstly, do you need to change the software? If it's working
then leaving it as it is, may be worth considering.

2.
The T train is likely to be less stable than the mainline
12.4 e.g. 12.4(12) or 12.4(10)b. I would never use the T
train unless I needed its features.

Unless yo have console access to the router then
there is always going to be a risk associate with this process.
If you have console access then you can always recover.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/
prod_configuration_guide09186a00802c35e9.html
Seems to describe recovery.

If you are going to do it remotely check the md5 of the image
before you send it to the router and before rebooting it
check the image with a
verify some.file
command.

Also worth checking the file length on sh flash.

You need a backout plan. If you can't visit site then you
need to consider vary carefully the driving force behind the
proposed change.

If the router is remote, one solution might be to send a
flash card to site and get a local to swap the card.
If it doesn't come up then simply swap back.

Larry 01-28-2007 03:23 AM

Re: Upgrading IOS on 1841

Larry <riding@my.valkyrie> wrote in

> I'm trying to upgrade the IOS on a 1841 router. Since I'm
> not a Cisco whiz I thought I would check here to make sure
> I'm not screwing things up beyond repair.
>
> Current version is 12.3(8)YG
> Upgrading to 12.4(11)T
> Device has 128M RAM (116736/14336)
> Flash has 32M
>
> There is not enough room on the flash card for both images
> currently. Not sure what all of the other files are but
> will leave them alone.
>
> I have a couple of options:
> Try replacing the image on the flash card with the newer
> one... or
> Boot via TFTP and make sure everything works before
> replacing the image.
>
> I'm not sure of the safest method. I think I know how to do
> either but don't have a clue how to recover if I screw
> things up.
>
> Here's the plan for replacing the image...
> Backup current IOS image and config (already done)
> Delete current image from flash to make room for the new
> image. (delete flash:/<image_name>)
> Copy new image to flash. (copy tftp: flash:)
> Change the boot config. (boot system flash <image_name>)
> Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
> Issue reload command.
>
> or
>
> Change the boot config. (boot system tftp <image_name>)
> Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
> If things work correctly, replace the image using the above
> procedure.
>
> Am I completely clueless or will this work? How do I
> recover if things go bad?
>
> Searching the Cisco website is like the proverbial needle
> in a haystack. If anyone can point me to a place with the
> info I need that would great. I've searched but everything
> seems to point back to Cisco.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

All good responses... exactly what I was looking for but was
unable to find. Seems at though my fail-safe is to boot from
the image on the flash with the option of booting from TFTP if
it fails. Worst case, ROM Monitor will allow me to restore the
old image if necessary.

Thanks again. Next round is on me...

Larry

Darren Green 01-28-2007 09:31 AM

Re: Upgrading IOS on 1841

"Larry" <riding@my.valkyrie> wrote in message
> I'm trying to upgrade the IOS on a 1841 router. Since I'm not
> a Cisco whiz I thought I would check here to make sure I'm not
> screwing things up beyond repair.
>
> Current version is 12.3(8)YG
> Upgrading to 12.4(11)T
> Device has 128M RAM (116736/14336)
> Flash has 32M
>
> There is not enough room on the flash card for both images
> currently. Not sure what all of the other files are but will
> leave them alone.
>
> I have a couple of options:
> Try replacing the image on the flash card with the newer
> one... or
> Boot via TFTP and make sure everything works before replacing
> the image.
>
> I'm not sure of the safest method. I think I know how to do
> either but don't have a clue how to recover if I screw things
> up.
>
> Here's the plan for replacing the image...
> Backup current IOS image and config (already done)
> Delete current image from flash to make room for the new
> image. (delete flash:/<image_name>)
> Copy new image to flash. (copy tftp: flash:)
> Change the boot config. (boot system flash <image_name>)
> Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
> Issue reload command.
>
> or
>
> Change the boot config. (boot system tftp <image_name>)
> Copy running-config to startup-config. (copy run st)
> If things work correctly, replace the image using the above
> procedure.
>
> Am I completely clueless or will this work? How do I recover
> if things go bad?
>
> Searching the Cisco website is like the proverbial needle in a
> haystack. If anyone can point me to a place with the info I
> need that would great. I've searched but everything seems to
> point back to Cisco.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Larry,

I have never had a problem deleting the existing version of flash and other
files SDM to enable me to replace with a new IOS. Of course after deleting
the existing IOS don't reboot ;- )

Should anything happen you can always do a tftpdnld to upload a new IOS from
rommon

Regards

Darren

Roel 01-29-2007 12:18 AM

Re: Upgrading IOS on 1841

Darren Green wrote:

> Should anything happen you can always do a tftpdnld to upload a new IOS
> from rommon

Another possibility is to use a PCMCIA CF adapter to copy the IOS on the CF
with your PC.