Velocity Reviews

-   -   Regarding MCSD in VC++ (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t43366-regarding-mcsd-in-vc.html)

Karthik 11-02-2003 02:59 PM

Regarding MCSD in VC++

Hai,
I am planning to for MCSD certification but bit
perplexed which branch to choose. I look forward for
someone's reply to this mail. I will be very glad to
receive it soon. Well, I am software developer in C, C++.
I planned to go for MCSD in Vc++ as it will be inline with
my domain. But I heard Microsoft will take out this exam
on June 30 2004. Should I go for Vc++ or in .NET ? I fear
taking .NET will change my domain of job entirely? Am i
right or will my exoerience in job still counts if I take
in .NET? Please give a immediate reply about my issue.

with regards,
Karthik.

mk 11-04-2003 11:45 PM

Regarding MCSD in VC++

Way back when MCP exams were first announced in beta, the
VC++.Net betas were supposed to be just around the
corner. I don't doubt MS support for VC++, but there
have been massive changes to the VC++ product (increased
ANSI compliance, very significant support for
managed/unmanaged scenarios, and considerable
improvements to ATL/OLEDB, among many others) so I
suppose there are good reasons for the delay. Its still
my language of choice and you can achieve things in
VC++.Net that just can't be done otherwise, such as
native code, custom marshalling, and mscorsvr GC, etc.
I would recommend that you proceed with MCSD.Net
(probably concentrating on C#), if VC++.Net exams appear
circa June 30 2004, then you can always take those in
addition. In any event, your exam qualifications only
support a good resume, they don't make one and they
certainly can't hurt so don't worry about your job
domain. Best of luck.

HTH,

mk

Kline Sphere 11-05-2003 05:59 PM

Re: Regarding MCSD in VC++

Well put.

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:45:49 -0800, "mk"

Joe 11-06-2003 08:58 AM

Re: Regarding MCSD in VC++

Yes, a lot better than your noisy contributions.

Ian Ringrose 11-08-2003 11:22 AM

Re: Regarding MCSD in VC++

The problem is that MCP exams never worked well for C++.

The MCP exam is meant to test most things a programmer needs to do their
job.

However no 2 C++ programs use the same set of APIs.

So the C++ client exam has the Win32, ALT, and MFC (+ .NET to be added)
APIs on it. However no C++ programmer makes use of all 3 API. The exams
therefore has to have a VERY low pass mark, or no one will pass.

Due to the fact that C++ programmers are VERY complex, the hard part of the
job is to understand the code you have to work with, not the Microsoft APIs.

In other words, the C++ MCPs are VERY hard to pass, but meaningless in the
real world.

Kline Sphere 11-08-2003 02:29 PM

Re: Regarding MCSD in VC++

>So the C++ client exam has the Win32, ALT, and MFC (+ .NET to be added)
>APIs on it. However no C++ programmer makes use of all 3 API.

In other words the development is flexible.

Just because a tool is feature rich, does mean an application must be
build to use each and every feature.

> The exams
>therefore has to have a VERY low pass mark, or no one will pass.

I agree the passing score for both 15 & 16 were ridiculously low.
However I would imagine that most people who took the exams passed
easily.