Velocity Reviews

-   -   Future of VC++ (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t43312-future-of-vc.html)

Jake 10-23-2003 06:06 AM

Future of VC++

I'm planning to take the VC++ desktop exam in a few weeks. This is one of
the main languages used in my company at the moment although we are moving
to .net. People say that you can create better enterprise solutions with
..net. Fair enough but why should we stop using VC++ when it has proved to
be a powerful language for the last decade or so?

Someone told me that Microsoft only included VC++ into Visual Studio .net
after people complained to them because they didn't want to continue with
it. The fact that there is no .net MCP exam for VC++ shows that Microsoft
want to phase it out in the long term. Whether they will remains to be
seen. Even C is still around today.

In any case, after my VC++ exam I will start learning for the VC# exam. Is
it worth taking the distributed VC++ exam too before that is discontinued
next June? Is just the desktop exam good enough for most employers?

10-23-2003 07:45 AM

Future of VC++

Jake,
I am no expert about any of this but wanted to throw my
2 cents in. I too am taking the MSVS .NET MCSD exams. I
am going down the Visual Basic path. Mostly because that
is all they are offering right now (they - is the
techskills school). They continually make references to
Visual C#. The whole .NET platform I think is an awesome
idea. But.... just like Microsoft, it seems as though
they want to capitalize on everything and dictate to all
corporations how do their coding.
The .NET platform is currently only residing "ontop of"
the Microsoft O/S, but is set up to potentially be
placed "ontop of" ANY O/S. I see tremendous use with
the .NET architecture on a UNIX based (LINUX)
platform!!! The underlying technologies which support
the .NET architecture, or my understanding, is to have
all common code and functionality independent of the
programming language being used. Obviously it has to be
a .NET version though. They do have an extensible Visual
C++, C#, J#, VB and yes, even COBOL (although, nothing
yet with it)!
I know this didn't really address any of your concerns,
but I just wanted to let you know. I too, am wondering
about similar things using VB!
Have a great one!
Karl

General Protection Fault 10-23-2003 01:22 PM

Re: Future of VC++

Microsoft will never terminate Visual C++. It's used to build all their
software.

Kline Sphere 10-23-2003 06:54 PM

Re: Future of VC++

>Someone told me that Microsoft only included VC++ into Visual Studio .net
>after people complained to them because they didn't want to continue with
>it.

I don't think so.

Thankfully C++ is not controlled by microsoft (or any single company).

It is one of the most widely used computer language ever conceived.
Because of it's general round ability to solve business problems,
makes it great choice for implementing software designs.

Kline Sphere 10-23-2003 07:01 PM

Re: Future of VC++

>I see tremendous use with
>the .NET architecture on a UNIX based (LINUX)
>platform!!!

Really? Sure there are companies who are [wasting their time] doing
ports to non-ms os's, just the same as there were for MFC & COM.

Can you really see Sun & IBM pushing out the boats to endorse dot net?
Yep about as much chance as microsoft porting sql server to run on
Unix.

The Rock 10-23-2003 07:22 PM

Re: Future of VC++

I suggest you to take VSC++ exam to get certify your current skills first
before moving to .net.
Because after next year June, you have no chance to take C++ exams again!
Just like me, I have finished my VB6 Exams to certify my current skill just
one month ago.
So, you better take the exam a.s.a.p.

Good luck!

clyclopedic 10-24-2003 12:12 AM

Re: Future of VC++

Perhaps 70-304 will be live by June.

"The Rock" <therock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I suggest you to take VSC++ exam to get certify your current skills first
> before moving to .net.
> Because after next year June, you have no chance to take C++ exams again!

[snip]

Mehran Nikoo 10-28-2003 01:44 AM

Re: Future of VC++

No comments!

http://www7b.software.ibm.com/dmdd/d...ds/dotnetbeta/

Shanmuga Raja 12-07-2003 05:43 PM

Re: Future of VC++

I recomend its even better to take Distributed Exam over Desktop Exam(if ur
going to take only one Exam). Because there's good oppurtunities on
Distributed Application Side than Desktop Application Development.

PS: Sorry if my view isn't rite!