Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dust on sensor (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t433055-dust-on-sensor.html)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes 02-27-2007 08:47 AM

Dust on sensor

I use to clean my sensor whenever I detect dust on it (I use to shoot a
picture of the sky using F 22).

Now I got a small dark spot on the picture which I'm not able to remove. I
have use sensor brush and sensor clean several times, but I cannot see any
change in the spot (while I can see other spots comes and goes).

Can this be a permanent damage on the sensor or the glass covering the
sensor?

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/

Savageduck 02-27-2007 09:19 AM

Re: Dust on sensor

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
> I use to clean my sensor whenever I detect dust on it (I use to shoot a
> picture of the sky using F 22).
>
> Now I got a small dark spot on the picture which I'm not able to remove. I
> have use sensor brush and sensor clean several times, but I cannot see any
> change in the spot (while I can see other spots comes and goes).
>
> Can this be a permanent damage on the sensor or the glass covering the
> sensor?

Sometimes dust on the low pass filter (the protective glass in front of
the sensor) is fixed and cannot be moved with a brush. Here is when you
will have to resort to a wet cleaning technique. Just use the right
tools. Even so you might have to repeat several times to remove really
persistent spots.
You might need to check and clean your lenses and any filters you might
be using for spots.
A permanent mark on the low pass filter is not likely unless there is
something you are not telling us regarding your working environment.
Anyway here are a few URLs for cleaning tools and information.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
http://www.photosol.com/
http://www.kinetronics.com/
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/eclipse.html
https://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx
http://www.visibledust.com/products.php

Good luck,
'Duck

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) 02-27-2007 10:06 AM

Re: Dust on sensor

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:47:00 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
<newsmanDELETE@REMOVEdahl-stamnes.net> wrote:

>I use to clean my sensor whenever I detect dust on it (I use to shoot a
>picture of the sky using F 22).
>
>Now I got a small dark spot on the picture which I'm not able to remove. I
>have use sensor brush and sensor clean several times, but I cannot see any
>change in the spot (while I can see other spots comes and goes).
>
>Can this be a permanent damage on the sensor or the glass covering the
>sensor?

I'd go with the wet technique as suggested by the Duck. One thing to
remember is the orientation of the image if flipped from that of the
sensor. So first try to visually locate the spot on the AA filter, then try
a wet cleaning method to remove.
--
Ed Ruf (Usenet2@EdwardGRuf.com)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes 02-27-2007 11:30 AM

Re: Dust on sensor

Savageduck wrote:

> Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
>> I use to clean my sensor whenever I detect dust on it (I use to shoot a
>> picture of the sky using F 22).
>>
>> Now I got a small dark spot on the picture which I'm not able to remove.
>> I have use sensor brush and sensor clean several times, but I cannot see
>> any change in the spot (while I can see other spots comes and goes).
>>
>> Can this be a permanent damage on the sensor or the glass covering the
>> sensor?
>>

> Sometimes dust on the low pass filter (the protective glass in front of
> the sensor) is fixed and cannot be moved with a brush. Here is when you
> will have to resort to a wet cleaning technique. Just use the right
> tools. Even so you might have to repeat several times to remove really
> persistent spots.

I have used a wet cleaing technique several times. No changes. I tried it
just now and this time I did not blow away any dust that may have come on
the sensor during the cleaning. I could see that there was new dust spot
near the problem spot, but the new spot was more diffuse. It's like the
problem spot is closer to the sensor.

I'm not sure but I have a feeling that the dust particle is under the glass
covering the sensor. Tell me that it is not possible, or?

> You might need to check and clean your lenses and any filters you might
> be using for spots.

I have tried different lenses. I use to shoot i manual focus against the sky
(currently very grey).

> A permanent mark on the low pass filter is not likely unless there is
> something you are not telling us regarding your working environment.

What kind of working environment could cause problem? I have been using the
camera outside belowe 0 C. But I always wrap it in a plastig bag before
taking it inside, leaving it in the bag for hours.

> Anyway here are a few URLs for cleaning tools and information.
>

> http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
> http://www.photosol.com/
> http://www.kinetronics.com/
> http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/eclipse.html
> https://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx
> http://www.visibledust.com/products.php

I got my cleaing tools from visibledust.com

> Good luck,

Thanks.

ray 02-27-2007 04:02 PM

Re: Dust on sensor

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:47:00 +0100, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

> I use to clean my sensor whenever I detect dust on it (I use to shoot a
> picture of the sky using F 22).
>
> Now I got a small dark spot on the picture which I'm not able to remove. I
> have use sensor brush and sensor clean several times, but I cannot see any
> change in the spot (while I can see other spots comes and goes).
>
> Can this be a permanent damage on the sensor or the glass covering the
> sensor?

How small? Could it be a dead pixel?

Savageduck 02-27-2007 04:49 PM

Re: Dust on sensor

ray wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:47:00 +0100, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
>
>> I use to clean my sensor whenever I detect dust on it (I use to shoot a
>> picture of the sky using F 22).
>>
>> Now I got a small dark spot on the picture which I'm not able to remove. I
>> have use sensor brush and sensor clean several times, but I cannot see any
>> change in the spot (while I can see other spots comes and goes).
>>
>> Can this be a permanent damage on the sensor or the glass covering the
>> sensor?

> How small? Could it be a dead pixel?

The likelihood of a dead pixel on the sensor is very remote, this is
more of a problem for the LCD. A dead pixel or other non-functioning
area on the sensor will not have the easily diagnosed dust signature on
the image, and if it were a dead pixel given even say a 6 meg sensor it
would be almost impossible to see.

I agree with Ed, with good lighting try and visually identify the spot
on the low pass filter and use a little more aggressive wet technique on
the area, follow up with a standard cleaning. If this does not work you
probably have a problem behind the filter and need to get your camera to
a professional for repair. (warranty??)

You have one other option; Live with it and understand trying to
maintain a "clean room" perfect sensor in the real World is not always
productive. As frustrating as it can be to find that spot in an
otherwise "perfect" shot, the beauty of digital is having the ability to
fix things with the editing software of your choice. (I lean towards PS CS2)
For those big sky and snow field shots dust can be annoying, but when
the dust is in textured areas can be barely noticeable.

Good luck,
'Duck

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes 02-27-2007 06:48 PM

Re: Dust on sensor

Savageduck wrote:

> ray wrote:
>> How small? Could it be a dead pixel?

No, I can see a photon or two behind the pixel ;-)

> The likelihood of a dead pixel on the sensor is very remote, this is
> more of a problem for the LCD. A dead pixel or other non-functioning
> area on the sensor will not have the easily diagnosed dust signature on
> the image, and if it were a dead pixel given even say a 6 meg sensor it
> would be almost impossible to see.
>
> I agree with Ed, with good lighting try and visually identify the spot
> on the low pass filter and use a little more aggressive wet technique on
> the area, follow up with a standard cleaning. If this does not work you
> probably have a problem behind the filter and need to get your camera to
> a professional for repair. (warranty??)

I have tried that. I have used a cleaning agent from Visible Dust several
times. No luck. The dust look exactly the same as before I began cleaning
the sensor.

What is the chance that the dust may be behind the filter? The sensor should
be sealed. But then, that could be broken.

> You have one other option; Live with it and understand trying to
> maintain a "clean room" perfect sensor in the real World is not always
> productive. As frustrating as it can be to find that spot in an
> otherwise "perfect" shot, the beauty of digital is having the ability to
> fix things with the editing software of your choice. (I lean towards PS
> CS2) For those big sky and snow field shots dust can be annoying, but when
> the dust is in textured areas can be barely noticeable.

It's hard to just leave it. Try ask an alcoholic to just forget about the
bottle of gin on the table in front of him...

The dust is located where the sky will be on landscape pictures. Editing one
or two picture that is really good, is OK. But if the spot starts to get
annoying on a lot of pictures, this option is not very good for me.

Perhaps I must buy a new house to replace my 30D... perhaps a Mk III ??? ;-)

Savageduck 02-27-2007 07:10 PM

Re: Dust on sensor

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

> Perhaps I must buy a new house to replace my 30D... perhaps a Mk III ??? ;-)

Well I guess the good news is this is a great opportunity to satisfy any
new camera envy (or lust) you might have developed since your last
purchase. Then your options are keep the old body as a spare, trade up,
sell on EBay, gift it to a deserving recipient or use it as an anchor.
I am sure you have been looking for the excuse to open your wallet for
the (please excuse the suggestive implication here) body you desire.
I have a feeling that by this time tomorrow you are going to be using a
"cleaner" newer camera.
Good luck,
'Duck

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes 02-27-2007 07:15 PM

Re: Dust on sensor

Savageduck wrote:

> Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
>

>> Perhaps I must buy a new house to replace my 30D... perhaps a Mk III ???
>> ;-)
>>

> Well I guess the good news is this is a great opportunity to satisfy any
> new camera envy (or lust) you might have developed since your last
> purchase. Then your options are keep the old body as a spare, trade up,
> sell on EBay, gift it to a deserving recipient or use it as an anchor.
> I am sure you have been looking for the excuse to open your wallet for
> the (please excuse the suggestive implication here) body you desire.
> I have a feeling that by this time tomorrow you are going to be using a
> "cleaner" newer camera.

You gave me a good laugh :-)
The bad thing is that then MkIII is not available yet. I have to wait at
least a month or so.

Money...? When it comes to investment in photo equipment, who cares about
money... ;-)

Charles Schuler 02-27-2007 09:56 PM

Re: Dust on sensor

"Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <newsmanDELETE@REMOVEdahl-stamnes.net> wrote in message
>I use to clean my sensor whenever I detect dust on it (I use to shoot a
> picture of the sky using F 22).
>
> Now I got a small dark spot on the picture which I'm not able to remove. I
> have use sensor brush and sensor clean several times, but I cannot see any
> change in the spot (while I can see other spots comes and goes).

After reading all of the posts and your replies I suspect that moisture
might have entered the gap between the IR filter and the AA filter.

If you can live without your camera for a week, buy some good desiccant and
seal the camera, with no lens mounted, into a tight jar along with lots of
desiccant. It might even take a month, but if it is trapped moisture it
could work (and then again, it might not).

Or, go for that 30D or 7D or .... (we just love excuses to upgrade).