Velocity Reviews

-   -   buying a lens for my nikon D50 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t432510-buying-a-lens-for-my-nikon-d50.html)

banjo 02-04-2007 04:58 PM

buying a lens for my nikon D50

seen this macro lens , but before buying it i thought i would ask on here
first.

anyone ever used this lens, and what do you think of it?
is it worth 339.99?
any bad or good things heard or said about it?
anything else that anyone can say about it.
the lens is here

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s28653/...tId=143&comp=y

and im in the uk.

Adrian Boliston 02-04-2007 07:56 PM

Re: buying a lens for my nikon D50

" banjo" <-deeenoregistrar@hotmail.co.uk_no> wrote in message

> seen this macro lens , but before buying it i thought i would ask on here
> first.
>
> anyone ever used this lens, and what do you think of it?
> is it worth 339.99?
> any bad or good things heard or said about it?
> anything else that anyone can say about it.
> the lens is here
>
> http://www.jessops.com/Store/s28653/...tId=143&comp=y
>
> and im in the uk.

That price seems a lot more than other UK online prices for the same lens.
Have you thought about the 60mm Micro Nikkor which sells for about 220?
Or save up a bit longer and get the 105mm Micro Nikkor VR for just over 500
?

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

e.google@littlebigware.com 02-09-2007 11:36 AM

On 4 Feb, 19:56, "Adrian Boliston" <adr...@boliston.co.uk> wrote:
> " banjo" <-deeenoregist...@hotmail.co.uk_no> wrote in message

> > seen this macro lens , but before buying it i thought i would ask on here
> > first.

> > anyone ever used this lens, and what do you think of it?
> > is it worth 339.99?
> > any bad or good things heard or said about it?
> > anything else that anyone can say about it.
> > the lens is here

> >http://www.jessops.com/Store/s28653/...m-f-and-28-EX-...

> > and im in the uk.

> That price seems a lot more than other UK online prices for the same lens.
> Have you thought about the 60mm Micro Nikkor which sells for about 220?
> Or save up a bit longer and get the 105mm Micro Nikkor VR for just over 500
> ?
>
> cheers adrianwww.boliston.co.uk

I have that lens and I have to say that it is superb - for the price
it cant be beaten. Regarding price - Jessops may price match to a UK
online price as long as the web site has it in stock - Tecno have it
in stock for 265. Print out the page and go and ask at Jessops.

David J Taylor 02-09-2007 06:41 PM

Re: buying a lens for my nikon D50

e.google@littlebigware.com wrote:
[]
> I have that lens and I have to say that it is superb - for the price
> it cant be beaten. Regarding price - Jessops may price match to a UK
> online price as long as the web site has it in stock - Tecno have it
> in stock for 265. Print out the page and go and ask at Jessops.

FYI:

I spoke with Jessops today (on a different matter) and was advised that
they no longer price-match. Of course, it may still be worth asking -
nothing ventured nothing gained. They do still off a 30-day no quibble
returns policy.

David

banjo 02-09-2007 06:59 PM

Re: buying a lens for my nikon D50

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:7f3zh.8715$9S5.7199@text.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
> e.google@littlebigware.com wrote:
> []
>> I have that lens and I have to say that it is superb - for the price
>> it cant be beaten. Regarding price - Jessops may price match to a UK
>> online price as long as the web site has it in stock - Tecno have it
>> in stock for 265. Print out the page and go and ask at Jessops.

> FYI:
>
> I spoke with Jessops today (on a different matter) and was advised that
> they no longer price-match. Of course, it may still be worth asking -
> nothing ventured nothing gained. They do still off a 30-day no quibble
> returns policy.
>
> David

i have found the same lens locally (norwich,uk) for 277.99.
50.00 cheaper than jessops 339.99,
funny really as i have never heard of the other place, and it seems to have
been there for a long while.
just came across it after doing a search on google. the company is
http://www.warehouseexpress.com
direct link for the lens is
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/phot...ens_105mm.html

David J Taylor 02-09-2007 09:00 PM

banjo wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> message news:7f3zh.8715$9S5.7199@text.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
>> e.google@littlebigware.com wrote:
>> []
>>> I have that lens and I have to say that it is superb - for the price
>>> it cant be beaten. Regarding price - Jessops may price match to a UK
>>> online price as long as the web site has it in stock - Tecno have it
>>> in stock for 265. Print out the page and go and ask at Jessops.

>> FYI:
>>
>> I spoke with Jessops today (on a different matter) and was advised
>> that they no longer price-match. Of course, it may still be worth
>> asking - nothing ventured nothing gained. They do still off a
>> 30-day no quibble returns policy.
>>
>> David
>>

> i have found the same lens locally (norwich,uk) for 277.99.
> 50.00 cheaper than jessops 339.99,
> funny really as i have never heard of the other place, and it seems
> to have been there for a long while.
> just came across it after doing a search on google. the company is
> http://www.warehouseexpress.com
> direct link for the lens is
> http://www.warehouseexpress.com/phot...ens_105mm.html

I have dealt with warehouseexpress before and had satisfactory service.
Of course, dealing over the Internet makes it more complicated to return
goods rather than delaing with your local shop.

David

banjo 02-10-2007 12:40 AM

wrote in message news:Fh5zh.8832$9S5.6948@text.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
> banjo wrote:
>> "David J Taylor"
>> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
>> message news:7f3zh.8715$9S5.7199@text.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
>>> e.google@littlebigware.com wrote:
>>> []
>>>
>>> FYI:
>>>
>>> I spoke with Jessops today (on a different matter) and was advised
>>> that they no longer price-match. Of course, it may still be worth
>>> asking - nothing ventured nothing gained. They do still off a
>>> 30-day no quibble returns policy.
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> i have found the same lens locally (norwich,uk) for 277.99.
>> 50.00 cheaper than jessops 339.99,
>> funny really as i have never heard of the other place, and it seems
>> to have been there for a long while.
>> just came across it after doing a search on google. the company is
>> http://www.warehouseexpress.com
>> direct link for the lens is
>> http://www.warehouseexpress.com/phot...ens_105mm.html

> I have dealt with warehouseexpress before and had satisfactory service. Of
> course, dealing over the Internet makes it more complicated to return
> goods rather than delaing with your local shop.
>
> David

if i do go for one of these lens, then i will see if i can pick it up, its
only 3 miles from mine.