Velocity Reviews

-   -   Thinking about actually buying a Panasonic DMC-LZ5...comments please... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t432499-thinking-about-actually-buying-a-panasonic-dmc-lz5-comments-please.html)

Jay 02-03-2007 11:27 PM

Thinking about actually buying a Panasonic DMC-LZ5...comments please...

I am looking for any additional comments on the DMC-LZ5.

Regulars will recall that I recently asked for suggestions re: a p&s
around $200. Many people seem to be happy with the DMC-LZ5. I expect to
pull the trigger on this online purchase this week.

Regarding my specs, I absolutely cannot stand camera shake, so I hope
the OIS feature will help. I do try to use proper technique from my
Nikon class (e.g. elbows against the body). I always import my pics into
PhotoShop before anyone else sees them. I crop them for viewing on
1024x768 monitors. That's it. I rarely need prints. I personally have
1280x1024 or greater on some of the various PCs I use, but many of the
people with whom I share the pics only have 1024x768, so that is my
least common denominator.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...nasoniclz5.asp

I guess I am not happy unless I am spending $ on digital toys. I don't
know if anyone else has this problem... J.

JohnR66 02-04-2007 12:06 AM

Re: Thinking about actually buying a Panasonic DMC-LZ5...comments please...

"Jay" <jbollyn@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for any additional comments on the DMC-LZ5.
>
> Regulars will recall that I recently asked for suggestions re: a p&s
> around $200. Many people seem to be happy with the DMC-LZ5. I expect to
> pull the trigger on this online purchase this week.
>
> Regarding my specs, I absolutely cannot stand camera shake, so I hope the
> OIS feature will help. I do try to use proper technique from my Nikon
> class (e.g. elbows against the body). I always import my pics into
> PhotoShop before anyone else sees them. I crop them for viewing on
> 1024x768 monitors. That's it. I rarely need prints. I personally have
> 1280x1024 or greater on some of the various PCs I use, but many of the
> people with whom I share the pics only have 1024x768, so that is my least
> common denominator.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...nasoniclz5.asp
>
> I guess I am not happy unless I am spending $ on digital toys. I don't
> know if anyone else has this problem... J.

Check here for a good review.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/LZ5/LZ5A.HTM

I've been looking at the LZ3. OIS appears to work well. Seems to be a very
good camera.
John

Marvin 02-04-2007 12:14 AM

Jay wrote:
> I am looking for any additional comments on the DMC-LZ5.
>
> Regulars will recall that I recently asked for suggestions re: a p&s
> around $200. Many people seem to be happy with the DMC-LZ5. I expect to
> pull the trigger on this online purchase this week.
>
> Regarding my specs, I absolutely cannot stand camera shake, so I hope
> the OIS feature will help. I do try to use proper technique from my
> Nikon class (e.g. elbows against the body). I always import my pics into
> PhotoShop before anyone else sees them. I crop them for viewing on
> 1024x768 monitors. That's it. I rarely need prints. I personally have
> 1280x1024 or greater on some of the various PCs I use, but many of the
> people with whom I share the pics only have 1024x768, so that is my
> least common denominator.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...nasoniclz5.asp
>
> I guess I am not happy unless I am spending $ on digital toys. I don't
> know if anyone else has this problem... J.

I have the LZ3, which is not much different from the LZ5, as
per the dpreview link. One reason I got it was the image
stabilization. I take many photos in museums, where I can't
use a flash or a tripod. It does work. I've even taken
sharp photos from a moving train.

Like may of the newer digicams. it lacks an optical
viewfinder. You can raise the screen brightness for outdoor
shooting, but that isn't enough in bright sunlight. But it
is quite a nice camera - a rebranded Leica.

Dennis Pogson 02-04-2007 09:23 AM

Marvin wrote:
> Jay wrote:
>> I am looking for any additional comments on the DMC-LZ5.
>>
>> Regulars will recall that I recently asked for suggestions re: a p&s
>> around $200. Many people seem to be happy with the DMC-LZ5. I expect
>> to pull the trigger on this online purchase this week.
>>
>> Regarding my specs, I absolutely cannot stand camera shake, so I hope
>> the OIS feature will help. I do try to use proper technique from my
>> Nikon class (e.g. elbows against the body). I always import my pics
>> into PhotoShop before anyone else sees them. I crop them for viewing
>> on 1024x768 monitors. That's it. I rarely need prints. I personally
>> have 1280x1024 or greater on some of the various PCs I use, but many
>> of the people with whom I share the pics only have 1024x768, so that
>> is my least common denominator.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...nasoniclz5.asp
>>
>> I guess I am not happy unless I am spending $ on digital toys. I
>> don't know if anyone else has this problem... J.
>>

> I have the LZ3, which is not much different from the LZ5, as
> per the dpreview link. One reason I got it was the image
> stabilization. I take many photos in museums, where I can't
> use a flash or a tripod. It does work. I've even taken
> sharp photos from a moving train.
>
> Like may of the newer digicams. it lacks an optical
> viewfinder. You can raise the screen brightness for outdoor
> shooting, but that isn't enough in bright sunlight. But it
> is quite a nice camera - a rebranded Leica.

Er, not quite!

David J Taylor 02-04-2007 10:31 AM

Jay wrote:
> I am looking for any additional comments on the DMC-LZ5.
>
> Regulars will recall that I recently asked for suggestions re: a p&s
> around $200. Many people seem to be happy with the DMC-LZ5. I expect
> to pull the trigger on this online purchase this week.
>
> Regarding my specs, I absolutely cannot stand camera shake, so I hope
> the OIS feature will help. I do try to use proper technique from my
> Nikon class (e.g. elbows against the body). I always import my pics
> into PhotoShop before anyone else sees them. I crop them for viewing
> on 1024x768 monitors. That's it. I rarely need prints. I personally
> have 1280x1024 or greater on some of the various PCs I use, but many
> of the people with whom I share the pics only have 1024x768, so that
> is my least common denominator.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...nasoniclz5.asp
>
> I guess I am not happy unless I am spending $ on digital toys. I don't
> know if anyone else has this problem... J.

I recently wanted to get a camera even more compact than the LZ5, and with
a 28mm wide-angle capability. Ended up with a Ricoh R5, which also
includes CCD-shift image stabilisation.

http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh..._r5_review.htm

One of my other cameras is the Panasonic FZ5, and my wife has an FZ20, so
I am sure that the Panasonic range would offer you a good solution.

Cheers,
David

Marvin 02-04-2007 08:26 PM

Dennis Pogson wrote:
> Marvin wrote:
>> Jay wrote:
>>> I am looking for any additional comments on the DMC-LZ5.
>>>
>>> Regulars will recall that I recently asked for suggestions re: a p&s
>>> around $200. Many people seem to be happy with the DMC-LZ5. I expect
>>> to pull the trigger on this online purchase this week.
>>>
>>> Regarding my specs, I absolutely cannot stand camera shake, so I hope
>>> the OIS feature will help. I do try to use proper technique from my
>>> Nikon class (e.g. elbows against the body). I always import my pics
>>> into PhotoShop before anyone else sees them. I crop them for viewing
>>> on 1024x768 monitors. That's it. I rarely need prints. I personally
>>> have 1280x1024 or greater on some of the various PCs I use, but many
>>> of the people with whom I share the pics only have 1024x768, so that
>>> is my least common denominator.
>>>
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...nasoniclz5.asp
>>>
>>> I guess I am not happy unless I am spending $ on digital toys. I
>>> don't know if anyone else has this problem... J.
>>>

>> I have the LZ3, which is not much different from the LZ5, as
>> per the dpreview link. One reason I got it was the image
>> stabilization. I take many photos in museums, where I can't
>> use a flash or a tripod. It does work. I've even taken
>> sharp photos from a moving train.
>>
>> Like may of the newer digicams. it lacks an optical
>> viewfinder. You can raise the screen brightness for outdoor
>> shooting, but that isn't enough in bright sunlight. But it
>> is quite a nice camera - a rebranded Leica.

> Er, not quite!

Can you list the differences? I'm just curious.

Dennis Pogson 02-05-2007 10:15 AM

Marvin wrote:
> Dennis Pogson wrote:
>> Marvin wrote:

>>> I have the LZ3, which is not much different from the LZ5, as
>>> per the dpreview link. One reason I got it was the image
>>> stabilization. I take many photos in museums, where I can't
>>> use a flash or a tripod. It does work. I've even taken
>>> sharp photos from a moving train.
>>>
>>> Like may of the newer digicams. it lacks an optical
>>> viewfinder. You can raise the screen brightness for outdoor
>>> shooting, but that isn't enough in bright sunlight. But it
>>> is quite a nice camera - a rebranded Leica.

>> Er, not quite!
>>

> Can you list the differences? I'm just curious.

A bit like saying a Rover is a rebranded BMW. The difference is in the
design engineering and the build quality.