Velocity Reviews

-   -   Recommendations (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t432481-recommendations.html)

Martin 02-03-2007 02:35 AM

Recommendations

I'm looking for some help and advice. It is time to buy a new digital
camera. I'm looking to spend $500 to $700. I've been using a Canon G2.
I have considerable frustration getting consistently good focus with
the G2. Some photos are great, but many are fuzzy. The problem might
be me, but I also suspect the autofocus feature/function could be
better.

I've been looking at the G7. I'd appreciate some comments about
picture quality, especially focus with this model.

I'd appreciate any recommendation about a digital camera, not
necessarly a Canon, that has a reputation for shape images. (I know
many feel film is required for outstandingly sharp images, but I'm
looking for the best results available with a digital camera.)

Thanks,
Martin

www.kevinkienlein.com 02-03-2007 10:01 AM

Re: Recommendations

watch on eBay, craigslist.org, fredmiranda.com/forum, etc for a lightly used
Canon 300D/Rebel or any of its offspring, they are great, and make wonderful
pix... there are bargains out there.. and expandable as you grow as a
photographer... kk

news:1170470135.084109.298280@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...

ASAAR 02-03-2007 11:33 AM

Re: Recommendations

On 2 Feb 2007 18:35:35 -0800, Martin wrote:

> I'm looking for some help and advice. It is time to buy a new digital
> camera. I'm looking to spend $500 to $700. I've been using a Canon G2.
> I have considerable frustration getting consistently good focus with
> the G2. Some photos are great, but many are fuzzy. The problem might
> be me, but I also suspect the autofocus feature/function could be
> better.
>
> I've been looking at the G7. I'd appreciate some comments about
> picture quality, especially focus with this model.

A good place to start is to read the G7 review at

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong7/

The G7 is overpriced for what you get, especially since virtually
*any* DSLR will take better pictures, have better and faster
focusing and a number of other advantages, and there are several
DSLR kits (meaning it includes a lens) that cost about as much as
the G7. One is Nikon's D40, and its review can be found at

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

From dpreview's conclusion page, the G7 has fast overall
performance, but that doesn't include focusing, where it says in the
Cons section:

> # Focus sometimes hunts in low light at longer focal lengths
> and in macro mode
> # Indistinct 'half press' point and long shutter release travel
> make refocusing more difficult than it should be

The conclusion page for the D40 says that it has a "Good fast auto
focus system" in the Pros section, and the Cons section has no
negative comments relating to speed.

But also check cameras from other manufacturers, as the D40 isn't
the only inexpensive "good value" DSLR. Some recently discontinued
DSLRs can still be purchased new and are also good values. The
quickest way to locate the cameras that dpreview has evaluated with
full reviews is to go to their alphabetically indexed review page at

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=alpha

Martin 02-04-2007 01:47 AM

Re: Recommendations

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate you sharing your
experience.

MET

chrisu 02-08-2007 01:29 PM

Re: Recommendations

Martin wrote:
> I'm looking for some help and advice. It is time to buy a new digital
> camera. I'm looking to spend $500 to $700. I've been using a Canon G2.
> I have considerable frustration getting consistently good focus with
> the G2. Some photos are great, but many are fuzzy. The problem might
> be me, but I also suspect the autofocus feature/function could be
> better.
>
> I've been looking at the G7. I'd appreciate some comments about
> picture quality, especially focus with this model.
>
> I'd appreciate any recommendation about a digital camera, not
> necessarly a Canon, that has a reputation for shape images. (I know
> many feel film is required for outstandingly sharp images, but I'm
> looking for the best results available with a digital camera.)
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

I had (still do have) a G2 - when I wanted to upgrade I went 2 ways -
IXUS 60 for pocket point and shoot and 400D for serious stuff.

G2 (and presumably G7) - was IMHO the worst of both worlds.
but heh what do I know - I'm an amateur.

-