Velocity Reviews

-   -   xD Type H compatible PCMCIA Adapter (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t432404-xd-type-h-compatible-pcmcia-adapter.html)

Jack Torrence 01-30-2007 08:23 AM

xD Type H compatible PCMCIA Adapter

Why oh why Fuji and Olympus couldn't go the SD route with everyone else!

My girlfriends laptop, being a Sony, only has a bult-in card reader for
MemoryStick. She's recently got a Fuji Z3 for which I bought her a Fuji Type
H 1gb card.

Can I find a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter that will read this card. She already
had a Sandisk 6-in-1 that won't read it (their website confirms its not
compatible) and I bought and returned a no-name brand from www.scan.co.uk
that promised it would but actually wouldn't.

Does anyone here know of a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter that is compatible with
Type H cards? The Fuji website doesn't even say if their own xD/SD adapter
works (which btw is bloody expensive).

As she's also got a FZ-7 and would prefer an adapter that can read both SD
and xD Type H cards. Any help would be appreciated. If you hadn't guessed
yet I'm in the UK.

tomm42 01-30-2007 02:24 PM

Re: xD Type H compatible PCMCIA Adapter

On Jan 30, 3:23 am, "Jack Torrence"
<room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Why oh why Fuji and Olympus couldn't go the SD route with everyone else!
>
> My girlfriends laptop, being a Sony, only has a bult-in card reader for
> MemoryStick. She's recently got a Fuji Z3 for which I bought her a Fuji Type
> H 1gb card.
>
> Can I find a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter that will read this card. She already
> had a Sandisk 6-in-1 that won't read it (their website confirms its not
> compatible) and I bought and returned a no-name brand fromwww.scan.co.uk
> that promised it would but actually wouldn't.
>
> Does anyone here know of a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter that is compatible with
> Type H cards? The Fuji website doesn't even say if their own xD/SD adapter
> works (which btw is bloody expensive).
>
> As she's also got a FZ-7 and would prefer an adapter that can read both SD
> and xD Type H cards. Any help would be appreciated. If you hadn't guessed
> yet I'm in the UK.

Went through this when my son bought a Fuji, very few muti readers
take the Xd card. What we did was buy an Xd reader, it is a little
smaller than a PCMCIA card (of course sold by Fuji).

Tom

Roy G 01-30-2007 03:05 PM

"Jack Torrence" <room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Why oh why Fuji and Olympus couldn't go the SD route with everyone else!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> yet I'm in the UK.

Hi

I have a USB2 Sandisc 12 in 1 reader which does read XD Cards and Sd Cards.
I am not sure about XD type H.

I got it from Jessops, so you should be able to try before you buy, if you
go there.

Of course I don't work for them or anything like that.

Roy G

Jack Torrence 01-30-2007 03:54 PM

"Roy G" <roy.gibson1@REMOVE.tesco.net> wrote in message

> "Jack Torrence" <room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Why oh why Fuji and Olympus couldn't go the SD route with everyone else!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>> yet I'm in the UK.

> Hi
>
> I have a USB2 Sandisc 12 in 1 reader which does read XD Cards and Sd
> Cards. I am not sure about XD type H.
>
> I got it from Jessops, so you should be able to try before you buy, if you
> go there.

Thanks for the reply, but as the original message said I, am specifically
after an adapter that goes in the PC Card (PCMCIA) slot of a laptop and not
a USB device.

DHB 01-30-2007 04:50 PM

Re: xD Type H compatible PCMCIA Adapter

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:23:36 -0000, "Jack Torrence"
<room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Why oh why Fuji and Olympus couldn't go the SD route with everyone else!
>
>My girlfriends laptop, being a Sony, only has a bult-in card reader for
>MemoryStick. She's recently got a Fuji Z3 for which I bought her a Fuji Type
>H 1gb card.
>
>Can I find a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter that will read this card. She already
>had a Sandisk 6-in-1 that won't read it (their website confirms its not
>compatible) and I bought and returned a no-name brand from www.scan.co.uk
>that promised it would but actually wouldn't.
>
>Does anyone here know of a PC Card (PCMCIA) adapter that is compatible with
>Type H cards? The Fuji website doesn't even say if their own xD/SD adapter
>works (which btw is bloody expensive).
>
>As she's also got a FZ-7 and would prefer an adapter that can read both SD
>and xD Type H cards. Any help would be appreciated. If you hadn't guessed
>yet I'm in the UK.

Jack,
You might be better off with a small USB reader/writer like
the Lexar 5-in-1 thumb drive (USB 2) type reader that claims to do
both the xD & SD memory cards you referred to but it does not specify
xD type compatibility (M & or H). You may have to call them to make
sure it supports both types.

1st hand experience. I have an Olympus "MAUSB -100" thumb
drive type reader/writer & it works with both M & H type xD cards.

The main reason I ordered this unit is because it's small &
the xD card fits into it's side after you remove it's snap on cover.
In other words, when not in use the card slot is completely covered &
protected. Also the cover will fit over it even with an xD card
installed in it.

Thus I keep a spare 2GB type M card in the small USB thumb
drive type USB reader & swap it with the 1 in my Fuji F11 when needed.
Doing so allows it to serve as both a reader/writer & a spare card
holder. My only complaint is that it gets noticeably ward when
powered which is probably just fine but being an E.T., I'm not a big
fan of electronics that get warm. So I don't leave it plugged in
longer than needed to read my xD card.

Sorry this is not what you asked for but it may be worth
consideration because it's small, inexpensive & can be used on
virtually any PC with a USB port, so it's not limited primarily to
notebook use.

Belkin just came out with a new "Express Card" multi card
reader that may be just what you are looking for but they are already
sold out. Won't go into much detail here because it's all on their
web page, but it is clamed to be 4x faster & it's about $30.US:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=278313

Hope this is of use to you or others.

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Phil Stripling 01-30-2007 05:21 PM

In article <45befd61$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net>, Jack Torrence wrote:

> She's recently got a Fuji Z3 for which I bought her a Fuji Type
> H 1gb card.

I ran into a similar problem with Type H cards. My understanding from
the support staff at Jobo and Hyperdrive is that Type H cards are
different from Type M. Jobo's support recommended buying Olympus's card
reader that accepts Type H cards and plugs into a Compact Flash slot.

Instead, I have swtiched to lower capacity Type M xD cards.

I'm not at all happy with xD cards, and I plan on avoiding cameras that
use them when I buy again.

ASAAR 01-30-2007 11:38 PM

Re: xD Type H compatible PCMCIA Adapter

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:54:37 -0000, "Jack Torrence"
<room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>> I have a USB2 Sandisc 12 in 1 reader which does read XD Cards and Sd
>> Cards. I am not sure about XD type H.
>>
>> I got it from Jessops, so you should be able to try before you buy, if you
>> go there.

> Thanks for the reply, but as the original message said I, am specifically
> after an adapter that goes in the PC Card (PCMCIA) slot of a laptop and not
> a USB device.

I think that the old Sandisk 12-in-1 reader was only compatible
with standard xD and type M xD cards. The latest one also handles
type H cards and says so on the bottom of the package. (I use one)

Sandisk also sells an Ultra PC Card adapter that may work, but it
only accepts CF cards, so you'd have to also get a CF to xD adapter.
The CF to xD adapter that I bought two years ago is made by Fuji,
and I have used it to transfer files from my types M and H cards
through my computer's built-in CF card reader slot.

Adam Helberg 02-02-2007 08:46 PM

"Phil Stripling" <philip@alumni.rutgers.edu> wrote in message
news:300120070921338006%philip@alumni.rutgers.edu. ..
> In article <45befd61$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net>, Jack Torrence wrote:
>
>> She's recently got a Fuji Z3 for which I bought her a Fuji Type
>> H 1gb card.

> I ran into a similar problem with Type H cards. My understanding from
> the support staff at Jobo and Hyperdrive is that Type H cards are
> different from Type M. Jobo's support recommended buying Olympus's card
> reader that accepts Type H cards and plugs into a Compact Flash slot.
>
> Instead, I have swtiched to lower capacity Type M xD cards.
>
> I'm not at all happy with xD cards, and I plan on avoiding cameras that
> use them when I buy again.
>
> --
> Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
> The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL
> http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily.

I have a Fuji F30 and put the 1 Gb Type H card into my laptop's card reader and tried
to read the card. This somehow corrupted the data on the card. So now I only use the
card in the camera and upload my pictures to the computer through the camera.

Adam

ASAAR 02-02-2007 09:25 PM

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:46:22 GMT, Adam Helberg wrote:

> I have a Fuji F30 and put the 1 Gb Type H card into my laptop's card
> reader and tried to read the card. This somehow corrupted the data on
> the card. So now I only use the card in the camera and upload my pictures
> to the computer through the camera.

The data could only have become corrupted if you performed a write
operation to the card. Copying files should not have corrupted the
card's data. If instead you "moved" files from the card to the
computer, that may have corrupted the data.

Most old readers are not compatible with type H cards, and I
returned a Sandisk card adapter last year that only worked with xD
and type M xD cards. A month or two ago I purchased a new version
of Sandisk's 12-In-1 card reader that is fully compatible with all
xD card types. The new version has a compatibility list on the
outside of the package, and all of the supported xD cards are shown
at the bottom of the list. If you don't see Type H in the list,
that's the older version which should be avoided by anyone that uses
xD cards and either has or may someday get a Type H card.

Adam Helberg 02-03-2007 01:17 AM

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:46:22 GMT, Adam Helberg wrote:
>
>> I have a Fuji F30 and put the 1 Gb Type H card into my laptop's card
>> reader and tried to read the card. This somehow corrupted the data on
>> the card. So now I only use the card in the camera and upload my pictures
>> to the computer through the camera.

> The data could only have become corrupted if you performed a write
> operation to the card. Copying files should not have corrupted the
> card's data. If instead you "moved" files from the card to the
> computer, that may have corrupted the data.
>
> Most old readers are not compatible with type H cards, and I
> returned a Sandisk card adapter last year that only worked with xD
> and type M xD cards. A month or two ago I purchased a new version
> of Sandisk's 12-In-1 card reader that is fully compatible with all
> xD card types. The new version has a compatibility list on the
> outside of the package, and all of the supported xD cards are shown
> at the bottom of the list. If you don't see Type H in the list,
> that's the older version which should be avoided by anyone that uses
> xD cards and either has or may someday get a Type H card.

I don't recall now exactly what I did but I know I did not try to edit or write to
the card with my computer. I may have tried to view the files on the card. After the
files were corrupted I sent an email to the flashmemorystore where I bought the card
and they exchanged the card on the theory the card was bad. I have not tried to use
my laptop's card reader with the new card.

Adam