Velocity Reviews

-   -   elements (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t432109-elements.html)

RobcPettit@yahoo.co.uk 01-18-2007 09:31 PM

elements

Hi, Im new to digital photography. Ive got photoshop elements 5 and was
wondering if its possible, with 2 pictures of different people, to
transfer the head of one and put it on the body of the other. Ive done
some googling but dont know what this is called. Any help please.
Regards Robert

Cgiorgio 01-18-2007 10:29 PM

Re: elements

Sure, it is possible but not as a two click operation. I am afraid, you will
have to study a bit about masks, layers and objects before you can do that.

news:1169155876.191560.109980@l53g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

Randy Berbaum 01-19-2007 05:51 AM

Re: elements

RobcPettit@yahoo.co.uk <RobcPettit@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
: Hi, Im new to digital photography. Ive got photoshop elements 5 and was
: wondering if its possible, with 2 pictures of different people, to
: transfer the head of one and put it on the body of the other. Ive done
: some googling but dont know what this is called. Any help please.
: Regards Robert

Yes but it takes time and practice. You need to learn how to use the
"lasso" tool to select the part of picture one you want to copy to picture
two. Then cut (or copy) this selected piece, and with picture two selected
paste the segment into the new picture. Then you have to move the segment
into the proper location (covering up the appropriate area of picture two)
and resize the segment to fit.

One hint, if you use the blurring tool to slightly blur the edges of the
cutout it will look much more real. Also when you are doing the selecting
of the part to move it is a good idea to work at a high magnification on
your screen (I use 300%). And remember that if you hold the shift, alt or
ctrl key while using the lasso tool it changes how it functions. One will
allow you to add the part you are selecting to what was selected
previously, and one will allow you to subtract the new selection from the
prior one. So you can build up and trim your selected area in small pieces
at high magnification (especially useful when trying to trim around
"flyaway" hair). :)

Once the final image is the way you want it, you need to "flatten" the
layers.

I have done composites in this way with as many as 192 individual pieces.
It takes LOTS of practice and an eye for finding ways to blend multiple
pieces in a natural way. I have even had to replace missing pieces (the
cutout didn't include a few fingers due to blocking foreground). But even
the people whos images I was combining could not catch the repair.

Practice, practice, practice.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

RobcPettit@yahoo.co.uk 01-19-2007 09:44 AM

Re: elements

Thankyou both for your replys. Now I know its possible I will get
practising.
Regards Robert

Dave Cohen 01-19-2007 04:59 PM

Re: elements

RobcPettit@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi, Im new to digital photography. Ive got photoshop elements 5 and was
> wondering if its possible, with 2 pictures of different people, to
> transfer the head of one and put it on the body of the other. Ive done
> some googling but dont know what this is called. Any help please.
> Regards Robert

I use PhotoPlus. That has something they call extract which makes it
very easy to define part of the image which gets saved to a file.
Failing that, you need to select and copy what you want to the clipboard
from photo 1. You then switch to photo 2 and paste as a new layer. You
can then slide that around and position the copied image. You may have
to pay attention to opacity settings, I would have to play. The last
time I played around with this getting the correct size gave me a problem.
Dave Cohen

Ken Weitzel 01-19-2007 05:17 PM

Re: elements

Dave Cohen wrote:
> RobcPettit@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> Hi, Im new to digital photography. Ive got photoshop elements 5 and was
>> wondering if its possible, with 2 pictures of different people, to
>> transfer the head of one and put it on the body of the other. Ive done
>> some googling but dont know what this is called. Any help please.
>> Regards Robert
>>

> I use PhotoPlus. That has something they call extract which makes it
> very easy to define part of the image which gets saved to a file.
> Failing that, you need to select and copy what you want to the clipboard
> from photo 1. You then switch to photo 2 and paste as a new layer. You
> can then slide that around and position the copied image. You may have
> to pay attention to opacity settings, I would have to play. The last
> time I played around with this getting the correct size gave me a problem.

Hi Dave...

Just a suggestion, with the hope that it may be helpful...

Try opening both images at the same time, one on each half of your
screen. Expand them both by the same percentage, so that the portion
(face?) almost fills its share of the screen.

Then you can experimentally resize one or the other until they both
look as identical in size, and you'll be awful awful close :)

And as a side effect, expanded like this - even if it looks really
terrible - will be much easier to nicely select.

Take care.

Ken