Velocity Reviews

-   -   NIMH (rechargeable) and Alkaline non rechargeable (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t432099-nimh-rechargeable-and-alkaline-non-rechargeable.html)

Pebble 01-18-2007 12:59 PM

NIMH (rechargeable) and Alkaline non rechargeable

Hi all,
Coming to grips with battery terminology. Have read lots of tutorials, opinions, grazed google posts and haven't really found out if one can put charged NIMH batteries in the place of non rechargable Alkaline batteries. I realise that voltage seems to be higher in Alkaline non rechargeables than the NIMH rechargeables. I think there is a loss of quality in signal for torches and radios and some other gear ??
Trickle charge versus fast charge ??
Thanks, all opinions welcome.

--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
who would never underestimate the humble floppy

Paul Heslop 01-18-2007 01:13 PM

Re: NIMH (rechargeable) and Alkaline non rechargeable

Pebble wrote:

> Hi all,
> Coming to grips with battery terminology. Have read lots of tutorials, opinions, grazed google posts and haven't really found out if one can put charged NIMH batteries in the place of non rechargable Alkaline batteries. I realise that voltage seems to be higher in Alkaline non rechargeables than the NIMH rechargeables. I think there is a loss of quality in signal for torches and radios and some other gear ??
> Trickle charge versus fast charge ??
> Thanks, all opinions welcome.
>
> --
> * * Pebble in Boulder * *
> who would never underestimate the humble floppy

NIMH are often preferred over alkaline. I don't know if it is still
true but there was a time where alkaline were not good for digital
cameras etc, they drained quite quickly. The real problem with NIMH is
they don't like to be standing around doing nothing. If you leave them
for a while and come back to them they could be drained, so you have
to kind of stay on top of them. Myself I usually have two sets, one in
camera and one charged ready for replacing, but due to ill health I
have hardly used my camera and on checking yesterday I found the
batteries were drained, so popped in the replacements and they had
drained too.

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Pebble 01-18-2007 01:35 PM

Re: NIMH (rechargeable) and Alkaline non rechargeable

Thanks Paul,
Still don't know if they are swappable though? My camera for instance takes alkaline OR NIMH, it mentions in the manual . Of course I use NIMH because the alkaline batteries send you broke. What I meant was if a radio, torch etc doesn't mention in the manual about using NIMH, just gives info like "insert 2 AA Alkaline batteries as shown in the diagram below" can NIMH be used in place of them?

William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com 01-18-2007 01:43 PM

Re: NIMH (rechargeable) and Alkaline non rechargeable

Hi Paul

NiMH are a good replacement for Alkalines in applications that have a high
drain rate (ie. require a releative large amount of power over a short
period of time) or used constatly and recharged regulary. These applications
include cameras, flashes, walkie talkies, digital music players, etc. In
general NiMH batteries can be substituted for Alkaline batteries, check your
owners manual of the item to know for sure.

Alkaline batteries work best for items used infrequenly. Like emergency
flashlights since they don't run down rapidly. Remember NiMH batteries will
self discharge at 40% per month.

For example, I use NiMH batteries in my camera flash. I use Alkaline
batteries in my led flashlight that I keep in my truck.

In general a trickle charge is better for the batteries and may be harder on
your patence. I generally like to use a quick charger, currently a Duracell
15 min. charger. It has a fan below the batteries so that they do not get
hot.

Hope this helps.

William

Bob Salomon 01-18-2007 02:03 PM

Re: NIMH (rechargeable) and Alkaline non rechargeable

In article <6c780d1b9c253@uwe>,
"William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com" <u15201@uwe> wrote:

> Hi Paul

Remember NiMH batteries will
> self discharge at 40% per month.

No, some types of the latest NiMh AA cells come fully charged and will
hold their charge for up to a year without use or recharging.

Ansmann makes some cells that do this that are NiMh. Some companies
maxes a similar claim for AA cells that are not NiMh. Panasonic, for
instance.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Pebble 01-18-2007 02:27 PM

Re: NIMH (rechargeable) and Alkaline non rechargeable

Thanks William and Paul,
I've never seen in a manual "don't use NIMH" so I suppose is OK. I've got a radio that takes Alkaline batteries and have substituded NIMH but have been told that they don't pick up signal quite so well, voltage issues or something. Haven't noticed this yet, but when I go bush (600 km from nearest pub!) I might then.
Yeah, trickle charges are a pain, but I think they're probably better. I keep some charged and well sealed in the freezer, defrost when needed. Slows the self discharge down, apparently. Didn't know it was normally 40% per month though! Wow
I'd say those latest NIMH that hold their charge for over a year would have a hefty price tag!
Thanks for all your help.
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

Paul Heslop 01-18-2007 02:33 PM

Pebble wrote:

> Thanks Paul,
> Still don't know if they are swappable though? My camera for instance takes alkaline OR NIMH, it mentions in the manual . Of course I use NIMH because the alkaline batteries send you broke. What I meant was if a radio, torch etc doesn't mention in the manual about using NIMH, just gives info like "insert 2 AA Alkaline batteries as shown in the diagram below" can NIMH be used in place of them?

I think usually they recommend alkaline due to its having a long
lasting effect, plus if I remember it rightly when they drain they
don't ooze that gunk all over, so for torches etc they are much better
than the old style battery. I am not sure that NIMH would last as long
in a standard device as an alkaline but as long as you don't mix and
match they should be fine.

Paul Heslop 01-18-2007 02:34 PM

"William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com" wrote:

> Hi Paul
>
> NiMH are a good replacement for Alkalines in applications that have a high
> drain rate (ie. require a releative large amount of power over a short
> period of time) or used constatly and recharged regulary. These applications
> include cameras, flashes, walkie talkies, digital music players, etc. In
> general NiMH batteries can be substituted for Alkaline batteries, check your
> owners manual of the item to know for sure.
>
> Alkaline batteries work best for items used infrequenly. Like emergency
> flashlights since they don't run down rapidly. Remember NiMH batteries will
> self discharge at 40% per month.
>
> For example, I use NiMH batteries in my camera flash. I use Alkaline
> batteries in my led flashlight that I keep in my truck.
>
> In general a trickle charge is better for the batteries and may be harder on
> your patence. I generally like to use a quick charger, currently a Duracell
> 15 min. charger. It has a fan below the batteries so that they do not get
> hot.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> William

Clears a few things up for me :O)

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios 01-18-2007 02:44 PM

Re: NIMH (rechargeable) and Alkaline non rechargeable

? "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> ?????? ??? ??????
>Hi all,
>Coming to grips with battery terminology. Have read >lots
>of tutorials, opinions, grazed google posts and haven't
>really found out if one can put charged NIMH batteries
>in
>the place of non rechargable Alkaline batteries. I realise
>that voltage seems to be higher in Alkaline non >rechargeables than the

NIMH rechargeables. I think >there is a loss of quality in signal for
torches and radios >and some other gear ??
>Trickle charge versus fast charge ??
>Thanks, all opinions welcome.

Well, since I got my orbit intelligent charger I use rechargeable batteries
for the torch (mini mag lite)which istrunctions say explicitly *not* to use
rechargeable batteries but I cannot understand why when the worst scenario
would be a burnt out lamp (4 euros a set of two)so I am using NiMHs on
it.(Except of course the digital camera kodak cx 7300-two nicd pairs)also
the little radio I take at work-nicds too-(the same pair I use at my
walkman).So, I think, anything that operates on alkalines can use NiMHs, and
of course I won't suggest ignoring the manufacturer's instructions,but the
savings are great....

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

nick c 01-18-2007 03:39 PM

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Pebble wrote:
>> Thanks Paul,
>> Still don't know if they are swappable though? My camera for instance takes alkaline OR NIMH, it mentions in the manual . Of course I use NIMH because the alkaline batteries send you broke. What I meant was if a radio, torch etc doesn't mention in the manual about using NIMH, just gives info like "insert 2 AA Alkaline batteries as shown in the diagram below" can NIMH be used in place of them?

> I think usually they recommend alkaline due to its having a long
> lasting effect, plus if I remember it rightly when they drain they
> don't ooze that gunk all over, so for torches etc they are much better
> than the old style battery. I am not sure that NIMH would last as long
> in a standard device as an alkaline but as long as you don't mix and
> match they should be fine.

All my standard flashlights (torches)have NIMH batteries. The newer
hi-powered flashlights are supposed to use li-ion batteries. I also use
NIMH batteries in my portable radios, clocks, CD players, automatic lawn
sprinkler system, home automatic heating/air conditioning thermostat,
and just about anywhere alkaline batteries are called for. Exception
would be where the manufacturer states NIMH batteries should not be
used. I once read that notice for an article I bought but now I can't
remember what that article was.