Velocity Reviews

-   -   Good news + advice needed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t43202-good-news-advice-needed.html)

Frank 10-06-2003 04:36 PM

Good news + advice needed

It looks that the market is turning around. I got an
technical interview and passed it. I am waiting for the
next stage -- face to face interview with manager. So for
those people on this .net track, just hang in there and
your chance will come one day.

Now I need your advice on how much I should negotiate on
the compensation.

I am MCSD .net, master degree in computer science, about
2 year working experience on software engineering. What
is my market price? Is $60k to $65k too much to ask?

Thanks in advance for any valuable advice.

Frank

Amulet 10-06-2003 06:00 PM

Re: Good news + advice needed

Depends on where u are Frank and how u bring value to the company. =O

Cheers,

Amulet

Jay Walters 10-06-2003 08:30 PM

Re: Good news + advice needed

Exactly what Amulet said....

Also look at the state of the economy in the local area,
the health of the company (in regards to it's
profitability), and the employee benefits package.

Additionally - what will your responsibilities be (same
as value to the company) and do you bring any unique
experience to the department?

Based on the question you're asking and the way you
stated it.. (not to sound mean) you're probably a level 1
maybe a level 2 developer so I wouldn't expect big
dollars yet.

In this economy, the dollars come with experience.

Best of Luck,

10-06-2003 11:35 PM

Re: Good news + advice needed

Wait until the interviewer raises the issue of what your salary requirements
are. At that point, simply ask point blank what the salary range is for
developers at the company. That's what I did. The guy looked surprised by
the question and stated that the salaries ranged from 50k - 75k. I ask for
and got 65k.

Frank 10-07-2003 03:25 AM

Re: Good news + advice needed

Thanks a lot, guys.

I am trying to do some research on the company and the
living expense of the local area.

So far I know that I need to ask for a annual financial
report of the company. But where do I get the exact
liveing expense information of the local area?

Thanks in advance for your guide.

Frank

Pine 10-07-2003 03:44 AM

Re: Good news + advice needed

Frank,

Not exactly "exact living expense" since that depends on your life
style. My best bet would be looking through local listings or local
papers for food, housing etc. And if you can become acquitance with
someone living in that area, that might be of great help. But again,
that all depends on your life style as I said.

HTH,
Pine

WizyDig 10-07-2003 09:38 PM

Re: Good news + advice needed

Try the local chamber of commerce they usually have stats on many differant
local economic factors. you can go to any search engine to find the web
site.

You should be able to find out what the average price of a home and average
income what they call the cost of living.
One you have this info for your target location go to your local chamber and
find the same. it will be an apples to apples comparison which will give you
an idea of how much more or less you can expect for the same job in your
area.

-Wiz.

Dolph 10-09-2003 08:22 PM

Re: Good news + advice needed

Like the others said before. It depends on where you are
located. Are you working on your masters or have your
masters? That would make a big difference!

Unless you don't have a lot of actual work experience, I
think that a MCAD specializing in C# should make at least
75k+. You worked hard getting the MCAD it should be
worth something!

If you have your masters, you should probably not be a
developer, but a development manager or higher.

Kline Sphere 10-09-2003 08:29 PM

Re: Good news + advice needed

>You worked hard getting the MCAD it should be
>worth something!

Proving that fact maybe a different matter....