Velocity Reviews

-   -   lost some photos on FZ7 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t431814-lost-some-photos-on-fz7.html)

Tippi 01-06-2007 01:53 AM

lost some photos on FZ7

I am currently in Costa Rica. About 30 photos have disappeared from the
SD card in my FZ7, in their place are two black photos with the date
0.0.0 when viewed in the camera. Could it be just an index that has
screwed up and the photos will be there when I get home and use a card
reader? or are the photos somehow deleted but still recoverable if I
don't overwrite them, so I should stop using this card? thanks

gerrit 01-06-2007 04:55 AM

Re: lost some photos on FZ7

"Tippi" <aa172@torfree.net> wrote in message
news:1168048421.601701.156880@51g2000cwl.googlegro ups.com...
> I am currently in Costa Rica. About 30 photos have disappeared from the
> SD card in my FZ7, in their place are two black photos with the date
> 0.0.0 when viewed in the camera. Could it be just an index that has
> screwed up and the photos will be there when I get home and use a card
> reader? or are the photos somehow deleted but still recoverable if I
> don't overwrite them, so I should stop using this card? thanks

Stop using the SD card immediately if not sooner.
Use a recovery program when reading the card in a card reader and IF you are
lucky you will find the missing photos.
I did it recently for a cousin and downloaded a freebie recovery program
from the net. It found and recovered about 60 photos. She then took the card
to a professional photography shop and they recovered about 100 photos. So
even if you recover a few, then still take the card to someone with
technical expertise. (real expertise I am talking about - not the 20 year
old at the local electrical reseller who know absolutely nothing)

I hope you have success.

Gerrit - Oz

David J Taylor 01-06-2007 11:00 AM

Re: lost some photos on FZ7

Tippi wrote:
> I am currently in Costa Rica. About 30 photos have disappeared from
> the SD card in my FZ7, in their place are two black photos with the
> date
> 0.0.0 when viewed in the camera. Could it be just an index that has
> screwed up and the photos will be there when I get home and use a card
> reader? or are the photos somehow deleted but still recoverable if I
> don't overwrite them, so I should stop using this card? thanks

I don't know, but I would suggest not using that card again to maximise
the chances of recovering the images later. I think you already knew
that, though!

Cheers,
David

Tippi 01-06-2007 07:58 PM

Re: lost some photos on FZ7

Thanks, does it mean there is something wrong with the card? it was not
a brand name.

David J Taylor 01-06-2007 09:27 PM

Re: lost some photos on FZ7

Tippi wrote:
> Thanks, does it mean there is something wrong with the card? it was
> not a brand name.

I don't know. I believe that many of the problems like this result from
running the battery down to its lowest voltage limit (and beyond!). If it
happens again, and not on other cards, get it replaced. They're so cheap
now perhaps do that in any case.

Cheers,
David