Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need help with 70-300 Prep (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t43180-need-help-with-70-300-prep.html)

TAT 10-03-2003 02:51 PM

Need help with 70-300 Prep

I plan to sit for 70-300 next week. At this point I have
no idea whether I'm ready or not. I've read both the
Microsoft book and the Exam Cram, and have the
Transcenders, but I'm not doing well on those. The thing
that is really tripping me up is the very technical
questions - answers like "use a serviced component with an
automatic transaction" (OK, I can recognize that one now)
Are there questions of these sort on the test?
How about ORM questions? My coworker and other posts I've
read said there are none...but Transcender has a number of
questions in this area including one where you have to
know all the ORM notation!!!
If someone could assist me in directing my focus I'd
appreciate it.
TAT

ND 10-03-2003 04:54 PM

Re: Need help with 70-300 Prep

Sounds like you havent taken the other tests first. I would take them first
if I were you.

ND

TAT 10-03-2003 05:45 PM

Re: Need help with 70-300 Prep

I agree that that makes perfect sense. However, I am a
program manager (former C++ programer) and not a software
engineer or architect. My boss is requiring the PM's to
take this one exam. In real life, my technical staff will
be making the technical decisions.

Rich 10-04-2003 04:28 AM

Need help with 70-300 Prep

I passed 70-300 almost two months ago. Here's what I can
remember:

There were at least one or two questions on ORM that were
quite specific. There were also a couple of exercises
that related to normalizing tables.

A couple of questions related to the MSF - but nowhere
near as detailed and thorough as all the MSF stuff in the
Microsoft Study Guide.

There were some pretty specific questions on
security/authenticaton, deployment strategies,
transactions, performance considerations, and when you
use web apps vs. windows apps - or when Host Integration
server or BizTalk or something like that might be
required. Those were the kinds of things I thought the
Exam Cram book was a big help with.

As others have said, you can come up with a lot of the
answers by carefully reading the questions and the case
study. I seem to remember several questions that related
to things like whether case study requirements call for
building new components or whether existing components
would remain in place - to be integrated with newly built
ones. They usually spell that out quite plainly in the
case study and then that becomes a consideration in how
you answer a lot of questions.

HTH

procyk01 10-10-2003 01:21 PM

Need help with 70-300 Prep

The test is basically a reading comprehension test. Most
of the questions can be answered by looking back at the
scenario.
You'll need some very simple data normalization. There
were a couple of questions where you could eliminate every
invalid answer and make an educated guess, and a couple
that I had trouble finding the "best" answer. On the
whole, it was a lot like 70-100 Analyzing requirements,
but maybe easier. Nothing too technical.
jp