Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Photo contests (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t431652-photo-contests.html)

Cynicor 12-30-2006 12:25 AM

Photo contests
 
OK, seriously. Why is it that 50% of all photo contest winners involve a
B/W photo of a newborn baby and his mother's exposed breast? And the
other 50% involve a really old African man sitting on a stool?

Justin C 12-30-2006 01:25 AM

Re: Photo contests
 
In article <Rv-dnQieHsKLLwjYnZ2dnUVZ_rjinZ2d@speakeasy.net>,
Cynicor <j...tru.p...in@speak.ea.sy.net> wrote:

> OK, seriously. Why is it that 50% of all photo contest winners involve a
> B/W photo of a newborn baby and his mother's exposed breast? And the
> other 50% involve a really old African man sitting on a stool?


Because you've only ever looked at the results to two contests? I've
never seen - that I recall anyway - any contest won by an entry matching
either description. I know, for certain, that the Shell Wildlife
Photographer of the Year has never had a photo matching those
descriptions win!

And for those interested in the aforementioned competition, the images
are currently on display in the Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
London, England. And well worth the visit it has been for the last
I-don't-know-how-many years. I'm going again Sunday and am thoroughly
looking forward to it. The quality of the shots is always stunning; the
entries in the children's category frequently put my ability in the
shade WRT both composition and exposure (often difficult exposure at
that - snow, night, etc.).

I can't see that the exhibition tours, which is a shame. If you're
fortunate to be in the area before April 29th, it doesn't take long and
is worth the 7GBP per adult (museum entry is free, it's just the special
exhibitions that are chargeable).

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/

As a freebie you get the chance to take photo's of some of the best
Victorian architecture anywhere in the world!

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Gregory Blank 12-30-2006 07:28 PM

Re: Photo contests
 
In article <Rv-dnQieHsKLLwjYnZ2dnUVZ_rjinZ2d@speakeasy.net>,
Cynicor <j...tru.p...in@speak.ea.sy.net> wrote:

> OK, seriously. Why is it that 50% of all photo contest winners involve a
> B/W photo of a newborn baby and his mother's exposed breast? And the
> other 50% involve a really old African man sitting on a stool?


Because you don't photograph those subjects.
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.

Bill Hilton 12-30-2006 08:19 PM

Re: Photo contests
 
> Justin C wrote:
>
> I know, for certain, that the Shell Wildlife
> Photographer of the Year has never had a photo matching those
> descriptions win!


Yes, the photos in this BBC/Shell competition are usually excellent ...
ditto for the "Nature's Best" magazine yearly competition.

> And for those interested in the aforementioned competition, the images
> are currently on display in the Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
> London, England. ...The quality of the shots is always stunning
>
> I can't see that the exhibition tours, which is a shame.


I'm pretty sure it's also on display in Holland right now, either at
Leiden or the Hague ... we'll be visiting Amsterdam soon on our way to
Tanzania and a photographer friend is taking us to the BBC display and
also a Frans Lanting exhibit (one is at Leiden, the other at the Hague
but I can't recall which is which).

Bill


Justin C 12-30-2006 10:03 PM

Re: Photo contests
 
In article <1167509985.185425.42620@h40g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote:

> > Justin C wrote:
> >
> > I know, for certain, that the Shell Wildlife
> > Photographer of the Year has never had a photo matching those
> > descriptions win!

>
> Yes, the photos in this BBC/Shell competition are usually excellent ...
> ditto for the "Nature's Best" magazine yearly competition.
>
> > And for those interested in the aforementioned competition, the images
> > are currently on display in the Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
> > London, England. ...The quality of the shots is always stunning
> >
> > I can't see that the exhibition tours, which is a shame.

>
> I'm pretty sure it's also on display in Holland right now, either at
> Leiden or the Hague ... we'll be visiting Amsterdam soon on our way to
> Tanzania and a photographer friend is taking us to the BBC display and
> also a Frans Lanting exhibit (one is at Leiden, the other at the Hague
> but I can't recall which is which).
>

One advantage of photography over "traditional" art is that it can be
exhibited in many places at once!

--
Justin C, by the sea.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.