Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bash/"Doctor" my Yosemite Photo (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t431596-bash-doctor-my-yosemite-photo.html)

Eric Miller 12-28-2006 05:25 AM

Bash/"Doctor" my Yosemite Photo

OK. This is your chance to change my image from the scene as I saw it to
whatever you think looks better. Post a link and let us all see, you
have my permission to display my image, doctored, adjusted, manipulated,
any way you want, until January 31, 2007.

What would you have done?

http://www.dyesscreek.com/hidden_pages/valley.htm

Of course, I don't expect all the photorealist, f/64, anything-other
than-the-plain-color-image-has-no-skill people to participate, because
you already think it is as good as it will ever get (flawed thouge it
may be) and has been so since I pressed the shutter release, but you are
welcome too.

Eric Miller

Scott W 12-28-2006 05:59 AM

Re: Bash/"Doctor" my Yosemite Photo

Eric Miller wrote:
> OK. This is your chance to change my image from the scene as I saw it to
> whatever you think looks better. Post a link and let us all see, you
> have my permission to display my image, doctored, adjusted, manipulated,
> any way you want, until January 31, 2007.
>
> What would you have done?
>
> http://www.dyesscreek.com/hidden_pages/valley.htm
>
> Of course, I don't expect all the photorealist, f/64, anything-other
> than-the-plain-color-image-has-no-skill people to participate, because
> you already think it is as good as it will ever get (flawed thouge it
> may be) and has been so since I pressed the shutter release, but you are
> welcome too.
>
> Eric Miller

Ok, here is my try.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/72240594/original

Scott

Mike Russell 12-28-2006 09:25 AM

Re: Bash/"Doctor" my Yosemite Photo

Her's mine: http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/f64...valley-f64.jpg

BTW - Your manipulated B+W image is very well done and. I think it's
unlikely that anyone else will match it in terms of getting as dramatic a
result. If that is your underlying point, touche.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Eric Miller 12-28-2006 12:56 PM

Mike Russell wrote:

> Her's mine: http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/f64...valley-f64.jpg

Sweet, LOL. I nearly spilt my coffee!

> BTW - Your manipulated B+W image is very well done and. I think it's
> unlikely that anyone else will match it in terms of getting as
> dramatic a result. If that is your underlying point, touche.

That isn't really the point, my adjustments shouldn't be too hard to
duplicate. Someone asked for the original in the original thread and I
just thought I'd have some fun with it since the other thread was a
little too serious. Also, I thought I'd see how many people would insist
that it shouldn't be adjusted since it is a pretty accurate
representation of "what I saw when I was there" already.

Eric Miller

Annika1980 12-28-2006 02:59 PM

Re: Bash/"Doctor" my Yosemite Photo

I was gonna go the faux infrared route, but I decided on the color
version.

Arnor Baldvinsson 12-28-2006 05:51 PM

Re: Bash/"Doctor" my Yosemite Photo

Hi Bret, Scott,

> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/72240594/original

I see that in both images you adjust the image so that the white area at the
bottom is level (is that a river, sorry, never been there so I'm unsure???)
I found that rotating the image is not how it was done, only by
distorting/stretching it. However I was unable to get exactly the
perspective you two got and since I'm trying to learn this, I'm curious if
you could explain how exactly you did it?

--
Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Scott W 12-28-2006 06:17 PM

Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
> Hi Bret, Scott,
>
> > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/72252166/original
> > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/72240594/original

> I see that in both images you adjust the image so that the white area at the
> bottom is level (is that a river, sorry, never been there so I'm unsure???)
> I found that rotating the image is not how it was done, only by
> distorting/stretching it. However I was unable to get exactly the
> perspective you two got and since I'm trying to learn this, I'm curious if
> you could explain how exactly you did it?

I just did a rotate, and then cropped to a slightly smaller image.
Photoshop Elements has a straighten tool that does this all in one
step.

Scott

Arnor Baldvinsson 12-28-2006 07:30 PM

Re: Bash/"Doctor" my Yosemite Photo

Hi Scott,

> I just did a rotate, and then cropped to a slightly smaller image.
> Photoshop Elements has a straighten tool that does this all in one
> step.

Cool, thanks:) I have PE 3 I think it is. I'll take a peek tonight:)

--
Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Eric Miller 12-29-2006 04:00 PM

Annika1980 wrote:
> I was gonna go the faux infrared route, but I decided on the color
> version.

Those are some interesting tones in the rock. I noticed that everyone
but Mike has "leveled" the photo so far (I guess aliens intent on
burning our National Parks aren't worried about whether they appear
level or not before the destruction). I "leveled" a bit in my B/W image
too, though not quite as much. As I recall the ground there was sloped.
The leaning trees just aren't as noticeable as the unlevel ground in the
"corrected" image I guess.

Eric Miller

John McWilliams 12-29-2006 05:33 PM

Eric Miller wrote:
> Annika1980 wrote:
>> I was gonna go the faux infrared route, but I decided on the color
>> version.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/72252166/original
>>

> Those are some interesting tones in the rock. I noticed that everyone
> but Mike has "leveled" the photo so far (I guess aliens intent on
> burning our National Parks aren't worried about whether they appear
> level or not before the destruction). I "leveled" a bit in my B/W image
> too, though not quite as much. As I recall the ground there was sloped.
> The leaning trees just aren't as noticeable as the unlevel ground in the
> "corrected" image I guess.

That foreground area used to be a swamp, er, somewhat before my birth,
so it's both pretty flat and level.

Lovely pic, though, and I like the variations others have done, too.

--
John McWilliams