Velocity Reviews

-   -   Possible to make remote shutter release for Canon 400D? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t431575-possible-to-make-remote-shutter-release-for-canon-400d.html)

Justin 12-27-2006 02:39 PM

Possible to make remote shutter release for Canon 400D?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port
on the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from
what I can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote
release by wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or
does it rely on encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then
it seems like a good way to save some money.

Thanks, Justin.

Cgiorgio 12-27-2006 02:52 PM

Re: Possible to make remote shutter release for Canon 400D?

It is actually a stereo headphone plug using the following pinout:

tip: shutter release / intermediate ring: Autofocus / housing-outer ring:
ground

news:1167230340.346181.178090@79g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...

=?iso-8859-1?q?Kjell_H=F6gstr=F6m?= 12-27-2006 03:03 PM

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 06:39:00 -0800, Justin wrote:

> Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port on
> the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from what I
> can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote release by
> wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or does it rely on
> encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then it seems like a
> good way to save some money.
>
> Thanks, Justin.

I think the RS-60E3 remote is supported for 400D also, if so
this page should answer your question:

http://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3_.../pin-out.shtml

/Kjell

Justin 12-27-2006 03:08 PM

Cgiorgio wrote:
> It is actually a stereo headphone plug using the following pinout:
>
> tip: shutter release / intermediate ring: Autofocus / housing-outer ring:
> ground
>

> "Justin" <soupisgoodfood@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:1167230340.346181.178090@79g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...
> > Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port
> > on the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from
> > what I can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote
> > release by wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or
> > does it rely on encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then
> > it seems like a good way to save some money.
> >
> > Thanks, Justin.

Sweet. Thanks guys!

Ken Lucke 12-27-2006 05:45 PM

Re: Possible to make remote shutter release for Canon 400D?

In article <pan.2006.12.27.15.02.50.788410@telia.com>, Kjell Högström
<kjellhog@telia.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 06:39:00 -0800, Justin wrote:
>
> > Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port on
> > the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from what I
> > can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote release by
> > wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or does it rely on
> > encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then it seems like a
> > good way to save some money.
> >
> > Thanks, Justin.

> I think the RS-60E3 remote is supported for 400D also, if so
> this page should answer your question:
>
> http://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3_.../pin-out.shtml

It is.

independence.