Velocity Reviews

-   -   Does your camera "lift"? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t431462-does-your-camera-lift.html)

Dingo 12-24-2006 06:25 PM

Does your camera "lift"?

Imagine you are at a red light. When the light turns green, you stomp
on the gas. For a very brief second, the car's front end feels as
though it lifts up.

Similarly, I have a Nikon D100 mounted on a Manfrotto 3039 head, aimed
outside at a bird feeder. FWIW, it's a 24-120mm lens, currently set
around 80mm or so. When I press the shutter release halfway to
focus, I see the image shift ever so slightly in the view finder, as
if the lens has lifted minutely.

From this position, the image never moves, until I either take a shot,
or remove my finger, at which point the camera returns to its "I'm not
about to take a shot" mode...in other words, back to its original
position.

I hooked up my remote release using the IR trigger, and I can see the
same effect. I hear the lens focus and see the image shift in the
view finder

Hand holding doesn't seem to show this effect.

Is this common on tripods? Is this just me? Perhaps I've never paid
attention because I've always been actively shooting--in this
instance, I've just been waiting for the birds to show.

My current theory is that when the lens receives power to focus and
shoot, the internal mechanism is causing some very slight movement.
One final note, I've examined the tripod and head, and they are both
solid.

Thoughts anyone?

Merry Christmas.

--D

nospam 12-24-2006 06:51 PM

Re: Does your camera "lift"?

In article <3tgto2hb12ig2ptgut4h4nmsocq4f4imc9@4ax.com>, Dingo
<nobbody@i.never.check.this.address.yahoo.com> wrote:

> Imagine you are at a red light. When the light turns green, you stomp
> on the gas. For a very brief second, the car's front end feels as
> though it lifts up.
>
> Similarly, I have a Nikon D100 mounted on a Manfrotto 3039 head, aimed
> outside at a bird feeder. FWIW, it's a 24-120mm lens, currently set
> around 80mm or so. When I press the shutter release halfway to
> focus, I see the image shift ever so slightly in the view finder, as
> if the lens has lifted minutely.

assuming that your 24-120mm is the version with vibration reduction,
then what you are seeing is the lens attempting to stabilize the image.
turn off the vr system and you shouldn't be seeing any 'lift.'

Allan Sheppard 12-24-2006 07:16 PM

Re: Does your camera "lift"?

Hi D,
It sounds like the camera refocuses when you actually take a shot.

If you have enough depth of field and the subject is not going to move
outside that range you could switch off the focus. As well as not
getting the lens movement you may also reduce the dead time between
pushing the button and the shot being taken
I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Allan

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:25:05 GMT, Dingo

Dingo 12-24-2006 07:21 PM

Re: Does your camera "lift"?

DING DING DING! Correct!!!!

....now why didn't I think of that???

Thank you very much!

Dingo 12-24-2006 07:22 PM

Re: Does your camera "lift"?

Thanks for your reply. As I found out from this group, it was the VR.

Thanks again.