Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nikon D70 - Upgrading from the 18-70 Lens? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t431411-nikon-d70-upgrading-from-the-18-70-lens.html)

Fred Finisterre 12-22-2006 07:36 AM

Nikon D70 - Upgrading from the 18-70 Lens?

I'd like something with some decent zoom. Is there such a thing as an
all-in-one lens that will do say 18-200?

And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as future
proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future D-SLR cams)?

Thanks,

Fred.

Roy G 12-22-2006 09:37 AM

Re: Nikon D70 - Upgrading from the 18-70 Lens?

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:LpudnW7Gwuq_FhbYnZ2dnUVZ8qq3nZ2d@giganews.com ...
> I'd like something with some decent zoom. Is there such a thing as an
> all-in-one lens that will do say 18-200?
>
> And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as
> future proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future
> D-SLR cams)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred.

This is a joke posting, isn't it ??

Roy G

Cynicor 12-22-2006 11:59 AM

Roy G wrote:
> "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:LpudnW7Gwuq_FhbYnZ2dnUVZ8qq3nZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> I'd like something with some decent zoom. Is there such a thing as an
>> all-in-one lens that will do say 18-200?
>>
>> And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as
>> future proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future
>> D-SLR cams)?
>>

> This is a joke posting, isn't it ??

I find the 18-70 to be a bit sharper than the 18-200, now that I have both.

Fred Finisterre 12-22-2006 02:13 PM

"Roy G" <roy.gibson1@REMOVE.tesco.net> wrote in message

> This is a joke posting, isn't it ??

No. It's a question by a novice asking if there are any decent lenses that
cover a wider range.

Thanks,

Fred.

Roy G 12-22-2006 03:33 PM

news:ONidncEfSeCJdRbYnZ2dnUVZ8tignZ2d@giganews.com ...
> "Roy G" <roy.gibson1@REMOVE.tesco.net> wrote in message
>>>

>> This is a joke posting, isn't it ??
>>

> No. It's a question by a novice asking if there are any decent lenses that
> cover a wider range.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred.

Hi to Rip van Winkle

You only need to read a little bit further back in this group to find
threads about the Nikon VR 18 - 200 lens.

Or go to any Dealer or Review site to discover that this recent lens has
been the subject of considerable discussion.

It does seem a little strange that you should pick the exact focal lengths
of this much talked about lens.

Roy G

Bill Funk 12-22-2006 05:33 PM

Re: Nikon D70 - Upgrading from the 18-70 Lens?

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:13:24 -0000, "Fred Finisterre"
<finisterre@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Roy G" <roy.gibson1@REMOVE.tesco.net> wrote in message
>>>

>> This is a joke posting, isn't it ??
>>

>No. It's a question by a novice asking if there are any decent lenses that
>cover a wider range.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Fred.

A "novice" who owns a D70 and has no idea if there is an 18-200mm
lens? And is savvy enough to use Usenet?
A "novice" posting with a Gmail email address, but isn't aware of
Google? Or didn't read the promotional papers in the D70 box? Or isn't
smart enough to even check Nikon's site?
Well, I suppose it is possible, but if so, I hope the OP doesn't want
children.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Tony Gartshore 12-22-2006 05:36 PM

Re: Nikon D70 - Upgrading from the 18-70 Lens?

In article <oe5oo2hsec9ds3356qo5sf26e387o5go8u@4ax.com>,
BigBill@there.com says...

> A "novice" who owns a D70 and has no idea if there is an 18-200mm
> lens? And is savvy enough to use Usenet?
> A "novice" posting with a Gmail email address, but isn't aware of
> Google? Or didn't read the promotional papers in the D70 box? Or isn't
> smart enough to even check Nikon's site?
> Well, I suppose it is possible, but if so, I hope the OP doesn't want
> children.

Yea, how DO they happen ?

T.

Wayne 12-22-2006 07:14 PM

Re: Nikon D70 - Upgrading from the 18-70 Lens?

In article <LpudnW7Gwuq_FhbYnZ2dnUVZ8qq3nZ2d@giganews.com>,
finisterre@gmail.com says...

>I'd like something with some decent zoom. Is there such a thing as an
>all-in-one lens that will do say 18-200?
>
>And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as future
>proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future D-SLR cams)?

Fred, the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens is already a classic - however it is still
hard to find it in stock, at least for the $750 price. The 18-70 mm lens may
be slightly sharper, but the VR feature (image stabilization) is a huge factor
offsetting that. With VR, you can (usually) shoot at 200 mm and 1/15 second
handheld with decent results (not entirely failsafe - take a couple of shots).
One downside is that it is mostly a f/5.6 lens, so this 1/15 second
opportunity comes up more often.

It is hard to say how future-proof any of the DX lenses are (DX are the
lenses for "digital" only, like the 18-70 or 18-200). If and when the cameras
start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will be obsolete and
unusable.

Ockham's Razor 12-22-2006 08:05 PM

In article <i8Wih.27$6_.19@trnddc07>, Wayne <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

> If and when the cameras
> start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will be obsolete and
> unusable.

Why?

--
There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.

J. Clarke 12-22-2006 09:00 PM

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:05:30 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote:

> In article <i8Wih.27$6_.19@trnddc07>, Wayne <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> If and when the cameras
>> start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will be obsolete and
>> unusable.

> Why?

Because the manufacturer designed them to not work on full frame cameras?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate