Velocity Reviews

-   -   Epson 4990 vs. V700 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t431330-epson-4990-vs-v700.html)

jeff.boone@nwea.org 12-18-2006 05:15 PM

Epson 4990 vs. V700

I'm looking to buy a scanner that will allow me to scan a bunch of 6x6
and 35mm transparencies, and print them (at least, the 6x6 ones) to
about a 20 x 30" size. Reviews of the 4990 and V700 that I've read
indicate that both are very good, but is the V700 worth the extra
couple hundred dollars?

Jeff

tomm42 12-18-2006 06:21 PM

Re: Epson 4990 vs. V700

On Dec 18, 12:15 pm, jeff.bo...@nwea.org wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a scanner that will allow me to scan a bunch of 6x6
> and 35mm transparencies, and print them (at least, the 6x6 ones) to
> about a 20 x 30" size. Reviews of the 4990 and V700 that I've read
> indicate that both are very good, but is the V700 worth the extra
> couple hundred dollars?
>
> Jeff

I've had a V700 since April, it is an excellent scanner, far better
than the Expression 1600 it replaced. I have done some full res scans
but haven't printed any, for doing large prints you might be better
with a Nikon LS9000, yes I know it is 3-4X the price, but for 20x30
prints you need all the res you can get. I wouldn't mind 16x20s out of
the V700, I just think 20x30s is pushing it.

Tom

Gregory Blank 12-19-2006 02:26 AM

Re: Epson 4990 vs. V700

In article <1166462138.022946.143020@73g2000cwn.googlegroups. com>,
jeff.boone@nwea.org wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a scanner that will allow me to scan a bunch of 6x6
> and 35mm transparencies, and print them (at least, the 6x6 ones) to
> about a 20 x 30" size. Reviews of the 4990 and V700 that I've read
> indicate that both are very good, but is the V700 worth the extra
> couple hundred dollars?
>
> Jeff

I went for the V750, it has a few features beyond the 700 a little
different optical system and better software FWIW. I've yet to do a
really big scan from my 6x6.....the scanner does really nice for 4x5 and
8x10.
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.