Velocity Reviews

-   -   How does 780mm f2 grab you? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t431315-how-does-780mm-f2-grab-you.html)

Rich 12-18-2006 02:55 AM

How does 780mm f2 grab you?

Couple a Meade (telescope) 14" LX200 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope to a
Starizona Hyperstar compressor lens and you take the 3900mm f10 scope
to a 780mm f2 mirror-lens.
Cost will run you between $6500-$10,000, depending on how it's
configured. Will support up to APS sensors. I'd like to see how such
a lens would work terrestrially. Only drawback is that the front
aperture to achieve this is as large as that 1700mm f4 Zeiss lens were
saw earlier this year and because of that (14" wide optics) it is
highly susceptable to heat waves so you'd have to shoot during times
when this is minimal.

www.meade.com
www.starizona.com

Phil Wheeler 12-18-2006 03:12 AM

Re: How does 780mm f2 grab you?

Rich wrote:
> Couple a Meade (telescope) 14" LX200 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope to a
> Starizona Hyperstar compressor lens and you take the 3900mm f10 scope
> to a 780mm f2 mirror-lens.
> Cost will run you between $6500-$10,000, depending on how it's
> configured. Will support up to APS sensors. I'd like to see how such
> a lens would work terrestrially. Only drawback is that the front
> aperture to achieve this is as large as that 1700mm f4 Zeiss lens were
> saw earlier this year and because of that (14" wide optics) it is
> highly susceptable to heat waves so you'd have to shoot during times
> when this is minimal.

Not too good for travel.

Rich 12-18-2006 03:53 AM

Re: How does 780mm f2 grab you?

Phil Wheeler wrote:
> Rich wrote:
> > Couple a Meade (telescope) 14" LX200 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope to a
> > Starizona Hyperstar compressor lens and you take the 3900mm f10 scope
> > to a 780mm f2 mirror-lens.
> > Cost will run you between $6500-$10,000, depending on how it's
> > configured. Will support up to APS sensors. I'd like to see how such
> > a lens would work terrestrially. Only drawback is that the front
> > aperture to achieve this is as large as that 1700mm f4 Zeiss lens were
> > saw earlier this year and because of that (14" wide optics) it is
> > highly susceptable to heat waves so you'd have to shoot during times
> > when this is minimal.
> >

> Not too good for travel.

Hey! Only 42lbs without the tripod!

Ray Fischer 12-26-2006 07:06 AM

Re: How does 780mm f2 grab you?

Rich <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> Rich wrote:
>> > Couple a Meade (telescope) 14" LX200 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope to a
>> > Starizona Hyperstar compressor lens and you take the 3900mm f10 scope
>> > to a 780mm f2 mirror-lens.
>> > Cost will run you between $6500-$10,000, depending on how it's
>> > configured. Will support up to APS sensors. I'd like to see how such
>> > a lens would work terrestrially. Only drawback is that the front
>> > aperture to achieve this is as large as that 1700mm f4 Zeiss lens were
>> > saw earlier this year and because of that (14" wide optics) it is
>> > highly susceptable to heat waves so you'd have to shoot during times
>> > when this is minimal.
>> >

>> Not too good for travel.

>Hey! Only 42lbs without the tripod!

You left out the zero.