Velocity Reviews

-   -   SLR for < ~$1100 US recommendations or flames? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430675-slr-for-1100-us-recommendations-or-flames.html)

olhippie@gmail.com 11-20-2006 11:41 PM

SLR for < ~$1100 US recommendations or flames?

I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body and lense
that takes a pic WHEN I press the button - used to do do a lot of 35mm
and
2 1/4 x 2 1/4 type work, still have the hardware, but need digital.

Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
or flames from unhappy owners?

Thanks for any advice - Mark

Steven 11-21-2006 12:01 AM

Re: SLR for < ~$1100 US recommendations or flames?

In order (based on image quality, features and price)

1- Canon 30D
2- Pentax K10D (no review yet, but many pictures available on the web since
friday)
3- Canon Rebel XTI/400D
4- Canon Rebel XT/350D
5- Nikon D50
6- Sony A100
7- Nikon D80
8- Pentax K100D

If you are rich, forget all of them and go with a full frame body from
Canon.

You can flame me now :)

David J. Littleboy 11-21-2006 12:13 AM

<olhippie@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
> when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body and lense
> that takes a pic WHEN I press the button - used to do do a lot of 35mm
> and
> 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 type work, still have the hardware, but need digital.
>
> Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
> or flames from unhappy owners?

If you used to do 6x6, then you'll want FF at some time in the future.

Right now, Canon's the only one doing FF.

So. Get the 400D and only buy lenses that will cover FF. Canon 17-40, Tamron
28-75/2.8, and Canon 70-300/4.0-5.6 IS. (Start with just the Tamron plus the
cheapest kit lens, or maybe one of the cheap 17-35mm third party FF zooms.)

When you want to go FF, you'll already have the glass, and it'll be a lot
less painful.

FF images printed at 12x18 on 13x19 paper are flipping amazing.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Hebee Jeebes 11-21-2006 02:10 AM

Re: SLR for < ~$1100 US recommendations or flames?

Well for $999 I don't think you will find one in that price range that can
touch the new Pentax K10D. It has features and image quality that rivals
cameras costing twice a much.

news:1164066106.662457.153460@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...

Gary Eickmeier 11-21-2006 02:56 AM

Hebee Jeebes wrote:
> Well for $999 I don't think you will find one in that price range that can
> touch the new Pentax K10D. It has features and image quality that rivals
> cameras costing twice a much.

I'm really getting tired of this. You don't know a damned thing about
the K10D. Why are you trumpeting an unknown quantity?

Gary Eickmeier

Steven 11-21-2006 03:04 AM

"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> a écrit dans le message de

> Hebee Jeebes wrote:
> > Well for $999 I don't think you will find one in that price range that

can
> > touch the new Pentax K10D. It has features and image quality that rivals
> > cameras costing twice a much.

> I'm really getting tired of this. You don't know a damned thing about
> the K10D.

not a damned thing ? Your lost man. The camera is out since last friday ,
the specs, the manuel, and hundreds of samples are already available.

plastic_razor@yahoo.com 11-21-2006 04:41 AM

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
> Hebee Jeebes wrote:
> > Well for $999 I don't think you will find one in that price range that can
> > touch the new Pentax K10D. It has features and image quality that rivals
> > cameras costing twice a much.

> I'm really getting tired of this. You don't know a damned thing about
> the K10D. Why are you trumpeting an unknown quantity?

It's not really an "unknown"quantity.

Pentax is a reputable camera brand. The previous dSLR from that
comapny was a well liked camera. The new K10D uses a proven 10MP
sensor --- the same one used in D200, Sony A100, and D80. All were
very good cameras.

I think it's reasonable enough to assume the K10D will be pretty good
too.

David J Taylor 11-21-2006 08:16 AM

olhippie@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
> when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body and
> lense that takes a pic WHEN I press the button - used to do do a lot
> of 35mm and
> 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 type work, still have the hardware, but need digital.
>
> Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
> or flames from unhappy owners?
>
> Thanks for any advice - Mark

The new Nikon D40 - high quality at a low price.

David

Bryan Olson 11-21-2006 09:16 AM

olhippie@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
> when to grab an image > - I want to get back to a SLR type body and lense
> that takes a pic WHEN I press the button

Yeah, that kind of shutter-lag sucks. All the DSLR's from the
popular manufacturers are quick on the shutter. The better digicams
of late are also vastly improved, though not as fast as the DSLR's.

> - used to do do a lot of 35mm
> and
> 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 type work, still have the hardware, but need digital.
>
> Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
> or flames from unhappy owners?

All of "Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony" make fine and competitive DSLR's.
Since you "still have the hardware", your best choice may be guided
by what lenses you have. Do tell, as there are some tricky points,
and people in this group can probably tell you at least as much as
you want to know. Or do you need to fit a lens or two in your $1100
USD budget?

After you invest the $1100, are you still concerned wtih upgrading
the body? As others have indicated, there's no question that Canon's
35mm full-frame bodies are the image-quality standouts. From my
perspective the 5D is both way expensive, and a bargain. Instead of
incremental upgrades, I'm saving my money until I can go full-frame.

--
--Bryan

=?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_S=F8rensen?= 11-21-2006 12:29 PM

Steven wrote:
> In order (based on image quality, features and price)
>
> 1- Canon 30D
> 2- Pentax K10D (no review yet, but many pictures available on the web since
> friday)
> 3- Canon Rebel XTI/400D
> 4- Canon Rebel XT/350D
> 5- Nikon D50
> 6- Sony A100
> 7- Nikon D80
> 8- Pentax K100D
>
> If you are rich, forget all of them and go with a full frame body from
> Canon.
>
> You can flame me now :)

Nah, just asking for reasons :-)

Why have you ranked D80 lower than both D50 and 350D?

/Martin