Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nikon 300mm f/4 AF vs. Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430543-nikon-300mm-f-4-af-vs-nikon-300-f-4-af-s.html)

Fred Banning 11-15-2006 05:01 AM

Nikon 300mm f/4 AF vs. Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S

Does anyone have any real world experience using the above 2 lenses?

I have the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF and am considering upgrading to the AF-S
model. I use it primarily for action sports and wildlife (birds mostly)
using my D2Xs.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

TIA---

Bill Crocker 11-15-2006 05:40 AM

Re: Nikon 300mm f/4 AF vs. Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S

"Fred Banning" <fbanning458@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any real world experience using the above 2 lenses?
>
> I have the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF and am considering upgrading to the AF-S
> model. I use it primarily for action sports and wildlife (birds mostly)
> using my D2Xs.
>
> Any feedback would be most appreciated.
>
> TIA---

I've owned both, and both are great lenses! The AF-S might have an
advantage to you because it's focusing is quieter, using Nikon's Silent
(ultrasonic motor in the lens). Other than that, I don't see a compelling
reason to change.

There is a great comparison by Thom Hogan here:

http://www.bythom.com/300AFSlens.htm

Bill Crocker

Bill Crocker 11-15-2006 05:42 AM

Re: Nikon 300mm f/4 AF vs. Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S

Oops! That should have read "Silentwave", not Silent. My spell checker
clobbered it, and I was too tired to catch it.

Bill Crocker

news:kIednYtLoLb9NcfYnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

Fred Banning 11-15-2006 06:19 AM

Re: Nikon 300mm f/4 AF vs. Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S

Bi Bill,

Yes, the SilentWave motor is EXACTLY the reason I'm considering upgrading.
Is the Silent Wave version that much faster? What body do you use yours on?

TIA---

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) 11-15-2006 09:47 AM

Re: Nikon 300mm f/4 AF vs. Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:01:19 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Fred Banning"
<fbanning458@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have any real world experience using the above 2 lenses?
>
>I have the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF and am considering upgrading to the AF-S
>model. I use it primarily for action sports and wildlife (birds mostly)
>using my D2Xs.
>
>Any feedback would be most appreciated.

No direct experience. Reviews an be found here
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html
Really didn't like the tripod collar design on the AF-S.
--
Ed Ruf (Usenet2@EdwardGRuf.com)

[BnH] 11-15-2006 12:55 PM

Re: Nikon 300mm f/4 AF vs. Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S

I have both of them.
imho the AF-S serie is more fun to use as it is lighter and focus faster too
[ on D1X / D2H ]
but i don't know its me or just my feeling , but I think the AF serie is a
bit sharper.

Why don't you have a look at the AF-S 400 /2.8 ? for action and birding
snaps it is a better option
[on a monopod too btw :D ]

Bill Crocker 11-15-2006 01:28 PM

Re: Nikon 300mm f/4 AF vs. Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S

Normally AF-S will focus faster than an AF, but in the case of the 300mm
f/4's, I didn't see a big difference.

Bill Crocker

Bill Crocker 11-15-2006 01:29 PM

Re: Nikon 300mm f/4 AF vs. Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S

I was using a D200.

Bill Crocker