Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mask filters for changing photo format? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430533-mask-filters-for-changing-photo-format.html)

duh 11-14-2006 08:39 PM

Mask filters for changing photo format?

Didn't quite know how to say it, so that subject line might be a bit
obtuse.

I've got a Nikon D70s, though this is not necessarily a digital
question.

One of my strongest skills is composition, but I need the frame in
place to compose. I can't "see" a 4x5 or 6x7 or square shot within a
35mm frame.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a mask that would fit in, say, a Cokin
filter slot, that would mask for the different frame formats. I figure
the edges would be diffused in the final photo, but that could be
cropped out.

George K 11-14-2006 08:58 PM

Re: Mask filters for changing photo format?

Get a custom viewfinder screen with the crop marks.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--C...gridlines.html

duh 11-14-2006 10:11 PM

George K wrote:
> Get a custom viewfinder screen with the crop marks.
>
> http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--C...gridlines.html

I can't totally tell from the website, but it seems like you get only
one choice of gridlines per prism. I'd like to be able to switch.

George K 11-14-2006 10:28 PM

Re: Mask filters for changing photo format?

The D70 series or DSLRs does not have a removable viewfinder screens
like the Nikon D2 series of DSLRs.

You can ask them if they can make a custom one for you. Of course I
have never had a DSLR or SLR camera that has the correct aspect ratio
for any paper size. You just shoot a larger area and crop as needed in
post processing. Also the D70 series does not have a 100% viewfinder
like the D2 series..

duh 11-15-2006 03:26 PM

George K wrote:

> Also the D70 series does not have a 100% viewfinder
> like the D2 series..

meaning the final image is larger than the viewfinder image? Thanks
for all the info, by the way.

George K 11-15-2006 03:50 PM

Re: Mask filters for changing photo format?

Yes, the non-professional Nikon SLR and DSLR cameras always show less
in the viewfinder than what is recorded. This is a carry over from film
where slide or negative carriers covered part of the image. So the
camera makers over adjusted so the amateur might include what was
framed in the viewfinder, providing the amateur had good technique and
did not tilt or twist the down when releasing the shutter.

This maybe why do amateurs cut off the tops of heads.

bmoag 11-15-2006 08:48 PM

Re: Mask filters for changing photo format?

As you surmise mask filters in front of the lens will not work.
While I do not see why this should be a problem, particularly with the grid
lines available in the D70, I would not recommend changing the viewing
screen unless you are willing to sacrifice the camera in case you are not
satisfied with the results and its effects on camera functions. Read the
disclaimers on the
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--C...gridlines.html
website very carefully.
The viewing screens used in auto everything cameras, execrable as they are,
are integral parts of complex systems.
If composition is your thing why be locked to any standard paper format?
Compose/crop to your heart's content and print in whatever format you like.
Paper can be cut down to whatever format you like.

Paul Mitchum 11-15-2006 10:13 PM

duh <nodamnspamok@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Didn't quite know how to say it, so that subject line might be a bit
> obtuse.
>
> I've got a Nikon D70s, though this is not necessarily a digital
> question.
>
> One of my strongest skills is composition, but I need the frame in
> place to compose. I can't "see" a 4x5 or 6x7 or square shot within a
> 35mm frame.
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone has a mask that would fit in, say, a Cokin
> filter slot, that would mask for the different frame formats. I figure
> the edges would be diffused in the final photo, but that could be
> cropped out.

I don't know how well this will help you out, but I was just looking at
the Zero Image web site (6x9 120-roll pinhole! woot!), and they make a
'viewfinder' that you simply hold up to your face. :-) It's a sheet of
black plastic with a hole in it (and a price tag.. <g>). Go to
<http://www.zeroimage.com/> and click on 'accessories.'

But along those lines, you could cut a frame out of cardboard and use it
as a visualization tool. Or use some other material you wouldn't feel
embarassed to hold up in public. :-)

If you already have a Cokin-type filter holder, just make a matte to
slide into it during composition. You could slide it out when it came
time for picture-taking. You'd likely need different mattes for
different focal lengths. However: I think you'd find that you couldn't
actually see this kind of matte well enough in actual practice to be
very useful.

Alternately: If you have a camera that gives you access to the focusing
screen (not likely), you could put some kind of overlay on top of it, or
get a custom screen like others mentioned.

And, at the bottom end of the food chain, you could make a little matte
to place over the LCD screen on your camera. This would verify after
shooting that you got what you wanted.

Get creative. :-)

duh 11-16-2006 03:34 PM

bmoag wrote:
> If composition is your thing why be locked to any standard paper format?
> Compose/crop to your heart's content and print in whatever format you like.
> Paper can be cut down to whatever format you like.

Per my previous comments: