Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mac Users - iPhoto vs Elements 4 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430513-mac-users-iphoto-vs-elements-4-a.html)

Rich Binkley 11-14-2006 01:48 AM

Mac Users - iPhoto vs Elements 4

iMac core duo, 2ghz, 2G of RAM and iphoto 6.0.5

I am able, without problems, to use iPhoto to make my pictures look
good (to me at least) to have prints made. I take maybe on average of 20
photos a week so am not a big user. Am wondering if I am missing
anything major by not getting Elements 4?

I know Elements is not Universal. Does anyone know what the upgrade
price might be if I bought it now and later upgraded?

Thoughts please......tia......Rich

Andy Hewitt 11-14-2006 08:40 AM

Re: Mac Users - iPhoto vs Elements 4

Rich Binkley <bink@fourway.net> wrote:

> iMac core duo, 2ghz, 2G of RAM and iphoto 6.0.5
>
> I am able, without problems, to use iPhoto to make my pictures look
> good (to me at least) to have prints made. I take maybe on average of 20
> photos a week so am not a big user. Am wondering if I am missing
> anything major by not getting Elements 4?
>
> I know Elements is not Universal. Does anyone know what the upgrade
> price might be if I bought it now and later upgraded?
>
> Thoughts please......tia......Rich

iPhoto and Elements are different tools really. iPhoto is excellent at
organising your images, and as you've found, making adjustments to them
as well.

If that's all you do, then I'd say Elements might be a waste of money
for you. Although Elements can make adjustments, and *maybe* do them
better than iPhoto (although I don't think it does), it is really a tool
for much more than that.

You'll need Elements if you want to get more creative with your photos,
such as applying filters, and using layers. I have recently upgraded to
Aperture from iPhoto, and I now only use Elements to run the NoiseWare
filter.

I would say that for your purposes it might be an unecessary purchase.
If you need layers and some basic filters, you could save a bit by
downloading Gimp (or GimpShop) - http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/. Looking
at your workload, it'll be sufficient.

Another indispensible application worth considering is Graphic
Converter, this has become almost a legend in the Mac graphics line, and
is considered an essential tool - http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/index.htm.
I would probably buy this before I bought Elements (in fact I did).

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.mac.com/andrewhewitt1/>

Phil Wheeler 11-14-2006 02:28 PM

Rich Binkley wrote:
> iMac core duo, 2ghz, 2G of RAM and iphoto 6.0.5
>
> I am able, without problems, to use iPhoto to make my pictures look
> good (to me at least) to have prints made. I take maybe on average of 20
> photos a week so am not a big user. Am wondering if I am missing
> anything major by not getting Elements 4?
>
> I know Elements is not Universal. Does anyone know what the upgrade
> price might be if I bought it now and later upgraded?

If you have a Canon digicam, consider the Canon
Imagebrowser software that came with it.

It will do a lot and lets you shell to an editor
of your choice from withing it (mine is PSE3) to
do more.

I have PSE4 for Win installed on the WinXP side of
my dual boot MacBook, but really find it not a lot
better than PSE3 .. so I will wait for the
universal binary version (PSE5?) to upgrade the OS
X side.

I really find iPhoto tedious.

Phil (MacBook, 2GHz, 2 GB Ram)

John McWilliams 11-14-2006 03:31 PM

Phil Wheeler wrote:
> Rich Binkley wrote:
>> iMac core duo, 2ghz, 2G of RAM and iphoto 6.0.5
>>
>> I am able, without problems, to use iPhoto to make my pictures look
>> good (to me at least) to have prints made. I take maybe on average of 20
>> photos a week so am not a big user. Am wondering if I am missing
>> anything major by not getting Elements 4?
>>
>> I know Elements is not Universal. Does anyone know what the upgrade
>> price might be if I bought it now and later upgraded?
>>

> If you have a Canon digicam, consider the Canon Imagebrowser software
> that came with it.
>
> It will do a lot and lets you shell to an editor of your choice from
> withing it (mine is PSE3) to do more.
>
> I have PSE4 for Win installed on the WinXP side of my dual boot MacBook,
> but really find it not a lot better than PSE3 .. so I will wait for the
> universal binary version (PSE5?) to upgrade the OS X side.
>
> I really find iPhoto tedious.

Here's another take: Download and try Lightroom. It's free now; no one
save Adobe knows how it'll be priced, or its future. But, did I mention
free? And its Universal. I really like it, and it does all my RAW
conversions, and probably will do all my organizing, that is, if I ever
get organized.

--
John McWilliams