Velocity Reviews

-   -   A Black Bear (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430480-a-black-bear.html)

silverthreads 11-12-2006 10:34 PM

A Black Bear

On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
photograph this Black Bear.
http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

Raphael Bustin 11-12-2006 11:00 PM

Re: A Black Bear

On 12 Nov 2006 14:34:34 -0800, "silverthreads"
<silverthreads6@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
>touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
>photograph this Black Bear.
>http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

Beautiful shot!

Lucky you. I've walked nearly 3/4 of the
Appalachian Trail, and never seen a bear.

Closest I got were some very fresh tracks,
in New Jersey, a couple of months ago.

I've often wondered just what I'd do if
I *did* have a close encounter...

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Fred Lebow 11-13-2006 01:01 AM

Re: A Black Bear

"silverthreads" <silverthreads6@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:1163370874.554505.96080@h48g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
> touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
> photograph this Black Bear.
> http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

He looks cute!
Great shot?
He also looks very scared of you...?

Thanks
Fred

Errol Groff 11-13-2006 01:02 AM

Re: A Black Bear

On 12 Nov 2006 14:34:34 -0800, "silverthreads"
<silverthreads6@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
>touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
>photograph this Black Bear.
>http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

Here is one of my favorite bear photos. Roy Bear and his pal Eddie
Moose pretending to be with Col. Chamberlain and the 20th Maine at
Little Round Top Gettysburg PA.

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/...%20Top%204.jpg

Got no grandkids and too much free time!

Errol Groff

ronviers@gmail.com 11-13-2006 01:06 AM

Re: A Black Bear

silverthreads wrote:
> On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
> touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
> photograph this Black Bear.
> http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

You get the best bear pictures by sneaking up on them and putting salt
on their tail.

Good luck,
Ron

ronviers@gmail.com 11-13-2006 01:14 AM

Re: A Black Bear

> rafe b
> www.terrapinphoto.com

Hi Rafe,
I looked at your site expecting to see tons of turtle pics. Here is
one I just finished:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers...13860394631186

If you start the slideshow here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers...56686071037970

You can see how I fixed the nose.

It is easy to get turtle pictures where I am. We also have things
called Horned Toad Lizards , they look like little dinosaurs, that will
be my goal for next summer.

Thanks,
Ron

Raphael Bustin 11-13-2006 01:29 AM

Re: A Black Bear

On 12 Nov 2006 17:14:11 -0800, "ronviers@gmail.com"
<ronviers@gmail.com> wrote:

>> rafe b
>> www.terrapinphoto.com

>Hi Rafe,
>I looked at your site expecting to see tons of turtle pics. Here is
>one I just finished:
>
>http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers...13860394631186
>
>If you start the slideshow here:
>
>http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers...56686071037970
>
>You can see how I fixed the nose.
>
>It is easy to get turtle pictures where I am. We also have things
>called Horned Toad Lizards , they look like little dinosaurs, that will
>be my goal for next summer.

Your pictures are wonderful.

The name of my site is deliberately obtuse.

Some folks guess it's related to a basketball
team (in Virginia, I think) but no....

Hint: it's related to a long-defunct rock & roll band.
It's also the trail name that I use on the A.T.

I've never been much of a wildlife photogapher.
Damn critters won't sit still.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

ronviers@gmail.com 11-13-2006 01:58 AM

Re: A Black Bear

Greg _ wrote:
> In article <v0ifl2lshi0abvkiaabcnin2ujg37t1udl@4ax.com>,
> Raphael Bustin <rafeb@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
> > Damn critters won't sit still.

> Is that why you photograph turtles :^)

> www.gregblankphoto.com

Just because they can't run away does not mean they sit still. They
watch for you to press the shutter then they close their little shell
door. Plus they like to hang in the beds of harvester ants and those
things hurt.

Ron

Greg \_\ 11-13-2006 02:03 AM

Re: A Black Bear

--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com

silverthreads 11-13-2006 02:30 AM

Re: A Black Bear

Unless it is a unique bear and the unique up on him...unbearable!