Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430479-digital-slr-pentax-k100d-vs-istdl2.html)

Eric The Viking 11-12-2006 07:31 PM

Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2
 
Hi,

I am looking to buy a Pentax DSLR for my wife and have narrowed my choice
down to the K100D and *istDL2 but don't know how to choose between them.

Can anyone recommend which one to go for, and why? What is the difference
between the K series and teh *ist series?

Thanks

--
ETV



Pete D 11-12-2006 07:46 PM

Re: Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2
 
K100D is the newer model that has Image Stabilization built in to the body.
Both are great little cameras but the K100D is better.

"Eric The Viking" <etv@nospam.nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:45577bb0.0@entanet...
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to buy a Pentax DSLR for my wife and have narrowed my choice
> down to the K100D and *istDL2 but don't know how to choose between them.
>
> Can anyone recommend which one to go for, and why? What is the difference
> between the K series and teh *ist series?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> ETV
>




JohnR66 11-12-2006 11:07 PM

Re: Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2
 
"Eric The Viking" <etv@nospam.nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:45577bb0.0@entanet...
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to buy a Pentax DSLR for my wife and have narrowed my choice
> down to the K100D and *istDL2 but don't know how to choose between them.
>
> Can anyone recommend which one to go for, and why? What is the difference
> between the K series and teh *ist series?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> ETV
>

Image quality wise, the newer K versions are said to do better in resolution
as the *ist cameras seemed to lag behind the other makes.
If you want 10 megapixels, Pentax has body due out in a few days. It will be
the best spec'ed sub $1000 dSLR available.
John



Pete D 11-13-2006 05:17 AM

Re: Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2
 

"JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
news:5PN5h.254623$QZ1.214220@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> "Eric The Viking" <etv@nospam.nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:45577bb0.0@entanet...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking to buy a Pentax DSLR for my wife and have narrowed my choice
>> down to the K100D and *istDL2 but don't know how to choose between them.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend which one to go for, and why? What is the difference
>> between the K series and teh *ist series?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> ETV
>>

> Image quality wise, the newer K versions are said to do better in
> resolution as the *ist cameras seemed to lag behind the other makes.


By whos reckoning they still use the same sensor, jpeg maybe not as good
with the DS/DL but the RAWs are the equal of any other 6MP D-SLR.

> If you want 10 megapixels, Pentax has body due out in a few days. It will
> be the best spec'ed sub $1000 dSLR available.


Yes but it is not a beginners camera.

> John
>




Paul Mitchum 11-13-2006 06:53 AM

Re: Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2
 
Pete D <no@email.com> wrote:

> "JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
> news:5PN5h.254623$QZ1.214220@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

[..]
> > Image quality wise, the newer K versions are said to do better in
> > resolution as the *ist cameras seemed to lag behind the other makes.

>
> By whos reckoning they still use the same sensor, jpeg maybe not as good
> with the DS/DL but the RAWs are the equal of any other 6MP D-SLR.


This is absolutely true, and if you can live with the workflow, then
there's really no difference between the *ists and the K1x0s.

> > If you want 10 megapixels, Pentax has body due out in a few days. It
> > will be the best spec'ed sub $1000 dSLR available.

>
> Yes but it is not a beginners camera.


Everyone's a beginner at something. No one should avoid learning things
because they don't yet understand them.

The K10D has automatic features as well as whatsits and geegaws for the
more knowlegeable. Why would a beginner who's enthusiastic about
photography not want to get the better model?

Pete D 11-13-2006 07:15 AM

Re: Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2
 

"Paul Mitchum" <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote in message
news:1hopn8r.66b9gj1voqxxyN%usenet@mile23.c0m...
> Pete D <no@email.com> wrote:
>
>> "JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
>> news:5PN5h.254623$QZ1.214220@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> [..]
>> > Image quality wise, the newer K versions are said to do better in
>> > resolution as the *ist cameras seemed to lag behind the other makes.

>>
>> By whos reckoning they still use the same sensor, jpeg maybe not as good
>> with the DS/DL but the RAWs are the equal of any other 6MP D-SLR.

>
> This is absolutely true, and if you can live with the workflow, then
> there's really no difference between the *ists and the K1x0s.


I think SR is a plus, one of the reasons I am getting a K10D.

>> > If you want 10 megapixels, Pentax has body due out in a few days. It
>> > will be the best spec'ed sub $1000 dSLR available.

>>
>> Yes but it is not a beginners camera.

>
> Everyone's a beginner at something. No one should avoid learning things
> because they don't yet understand them.
>
> The K10D has automatic features as well as whatsits and geegaws for the
> more knowlegeable. Why would a beginner who's enthusiastic about
> photography not want to get the better model?


Sure why not, enthusiastic is good but I suspect that many will fall by the
wayside if the learning curve is too steep, the K100D is about half the
price and that will be a an attraction for many. I have noticed a lot more
friends and work colleages asking about the cheaper Pentaxes recently and
the reason they state is that they can now justify the price, for some,
price a very large consideration that they simply cannot get around, for
others the simplicity is the key. Many of these people either ahve never had
an SLR or have had one but never took many shots because of the perceived
high cost and steep learning curve to get the best from their equipment.






Randy Berbaum 11-13-2006 09:21 AM

Re: Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2
 
Pete D <no@email.com> wrote:

: "Paul Mitchum" <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote in message
: news:1hopn8r.66b9gj1voqxxyN%usenet@mile23.c0m...
: > Pete D <no@email.com> wrote:
: > Everyone's a beginner at something. No one should avoid learning
: > things because they don't yet understand them.
: >
: > The K10D has automatic features as well as whatsits and geegaws for
: > the more knowlegeable. Why would a beginner who's enthusiastic about
: > photography not want to get the better model?

: Sure why not, enthusiastic is good but I suspect that many will fall by
: thewayside if the learning curve is too steep, the K100D is about half
: the price and that will be a an attraction for many. I have noticed a
: lot more friends and work colleages asking about the cheaper Pentaxes
: recently and the reason they state is that they can now justify the
: price, for some, price a very large consideration that they simply
: cannot get around, for others the simplicity is the key. Many of these
: people either ahve never had an SLR or have had one but never took many
: shots because of the perceived high cost and steep learning curve to
: get the best from their equipment.

True. One other thing to concider when choosing between two nearly equal
cameras is what features you want to use. For example if the photographer
has a passion for macro photography where camera shake can be a problem,
choosing one camera that offers a wired remote shutter release over one
without that option may make the difference.

I have not specifically looked at the options and functions available on
these two specific cameras, but sometimes something as simple as a wired
remote or a no flash mode available to someone who will likely use this
item or mode can make the decision easier.

Of course this level of choice only comes after the major selling points
(such as resolution, storage formats, lens availablilty, etc) have already
balanced out. And has been mentioned before there is also the choice of
what the purchasers budget can manage. :) And in this last you also have
to count the cost of accessories. An inexpensive body with lenses that run
double or triple the cost of another camera with a slightly higher body
cost, but less expensive lenses, may push the expensive body into a better
category of affordability. :)

No one camera is perfect for all of us. Even if some around here seem to
think so. ;)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL


Pete D 11-13-2006 09:54 AM

Re: Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2
 

"Randy Berbaum" <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote in message
news:ej9de3$fnh$1@wildfire.prairienet.org...
> Pete D <no@email.com> wrote:
>
> : "Paul Mitchum" <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote in message
> : news:1hopn8r.66b9gj1voqxxyN%usenet@mile23.c0m...
> : > Pete D <no@email.com> wrote:
> : > Everyone's a beginner at something. No one should avoid learning
> : > things because they don't yet understand them.
> : >
> : > The K10D has automatic features as well as whatsits and geegaws for
> : > the more knowlegeable. Why would a beginner who's enthusiastic about
> : > photography not want to get the better model?
>
> : Sure why not, enthusiastic is good but I suspect that many will fall by
> : thewayside if the learning curve is too steep, the K100D is about half
> : the price and that will be a an attraction for many. I have noticed a
> : lot more friends and work colleages asking about the cheaper Pentaxes
> : recently and the reason they state is that they can now justify the
> : price, for some, price a very large consideration that they simply
> : cannot get around, for others the simplicity is the key. Many of these
> : people either ahve never had an SLR or have had one but never took many
> : shots because of the perceived high cost and steep learning curve to
> : get the best from their equipment.
>
> True. One other thing to concider when choosing between two nearly equal
> cameras is what features you want to use. For example if the photographer
> has a passion for macro photography where camera shake can be a problem,
> choosing one camera that offers a wired remote shutter release over one
> without that option may make the difference.
>
> I have not specifically looked at the options and functions available on
> these two specific cameras, but sometimes something as simple as a wired
> remote or a no flash mode available to someone who will likely use this
> item or mode can make the decision easier.


Funny you should mention features like these, Pentax is probably the only
manufacturer that has all the wanted features even on its lesser models.

Mirror Lock Up
Meter with all lenses that can be attached
Cable shutter release as well as IR release
Spot metering
Dark Frame Subtraction
Fit all older lenses ever made to fit a Pentax camera and any other lens
with an adapter


> Of course this level of choice only comes after the major selling points
> (such as resolution, storage formats, lens availablilty, etc) have already
> balanced out. And has been mentioned before there is also the choice of
> what the purchasers budget can manage. :) And in this last you also have
> to count the cost of accessories. An inexpensive body with lenses that run
> double or triple the cost of another camera with a slightly higher body
> cost, but less expensive lenses, may push the expensive body into a better
> category of affordability. :)


Great range of after market lenses at just about every price point

> No one camera is perfect for all of us. Even if some around here seem to
> think so. ;)
>
> Randy
>
> ==========
> Randy Berbaum
> Champaign, IL
>




Eric The Viking 11-13-2006 06:04 PM

Re: Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2
 

"Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
news:45584100$0$28190$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>
> "Randy Berbaum" <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote in message
> news:ej9de3$fnh$1@wildfire.prairienet.org...


<snip>

>
>> No one camera is perfect for all of us. Even if some around here seem to
>> think so. ;)
>>
>> Randy
>>
>> ==========
>> Randy Berbaum
>> Champaign, IL
>>

>


Thanks for all the replies! The K100D is looking good at the moment, it's a
good price and has everything we're looking for and more.

K10D is very tempting, I like the fact it has the Lithium battery pack as
standard, but downsides are price and the fact it is a bit bigger than the
K100D.

Again, thanks for the help.

--
ETV



Pete D 11-13-2006 07:40 PM

Re: Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2
 

"Eric The Viking" <etv@nospam.nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:4558b8ca.0@entanet...
>
> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
> news:45584100$0$28190$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>>
>> "Randy Berbaum" <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote in message
>> news:ej9de3$fnh$1@wildfire.prairienet.org...

>
> <snip>
>
>>
>>> No one camera is perfect for all of us. Even if some around here seem to
>>> think so. ;)
>>>
>>> Randy
>>>
>>> ==========
>>> Randy Berbaum
>>> Champaign, IL
>>>

>>

>
> Thanks for all the replies! The K100D is looking good at the moment, it's
> a good price and has everything we're looking for and more.
>
> K10D is very tempting, I like the fact it has the Lithium battery pack as
> standard, but downsides are price and the fact it is a bit bigger than the
> K100D.
>
> Again, thanks for the help.
>
> --
> ETV


I have been using NiMh batteries in my DS for two years and they have been
great. I did get a good quality fast charger that does individual cells and
have four packs ready to go, I just slip each set into a small ziplock bag
and that keeps them as a set. I do only use brand name cells, I would
suggest you do the same.

Cheers.

Pete




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.