Velocity Reviews

-   -   D80 at Costco (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430476-d80-at-costco.html)

V Green 11-12-2006 04:07 PM

D80 at Costco

All:

Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.

I am a big fan of Nikon glass, currently using an
E990 and in the past a E900 and a F1 back in the
film days.

I am lusting after this cam, and have also looked
at the Canon Rebel xTi.

The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
which the xTi has addressed.

Is this such a big deal, especially if you're a lifetime
amateur and already take good care when changing
lenses? I backpack and hike extensively, and WILL
be changing lenses in the field (not constantly - living
out West means pretty much that I have a wide-angle
on most of the time - it's a "big open" out here). I realize
that there are lesser Nikons with 10MP resolution
that I wouldn't need to worry about dust with, but I
want lens flexibility (I have a wide angle and a fisheye
for my 990 which I use quite a bit and would likely
buy these again for the D80).

I'm also aware that the xTi is the lighter of the two, but not
by that much, and I'm OK with that.

Thanks for any input on this.

Jim Blue 11-12-2006 04:49 PM

Re: D80 at Costco

V Green wrote:
> All:
>
> Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
> the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
> is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.

18-55 and 55-200

Not Disclosed 11-12-2006 05:57 PM

Re: D80 at Costco

Jim Blue wrote:
> V Green wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
>> the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
>> is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.

> 18-55 and 55-200

both really low-end lenses. The D80 is normally supplied with the 18~70
(good glass, good build) or the new 18~135 (plastic mount, kit lens quality)

Scott W 11-12-2006 06:10 PM

Re: D80 at Costco

V Green wrote:
> All:
>
> Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
> the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
> is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.
>
> I am a big fan of Nikon glass, currently using an
> E990 and in the past a E900 and a F1 back in the
> film days.
>
> I am lusting after this cam, and have also looked
> at the Canon Rebel xTi.
>
> The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
> RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
> which the xTi has addressed.

Dust on the sensor is just not that big a problem. If this is the only
thing keeping you from
buying the D80 I would just buy it.

Scott

bmoag 11-12-2006 07:02 PM

Re: D80 at Costco

The camera is awesome, the lenses not.
However this is an excellent value for a beginner.
If you progress in your knowledge and ultimately get a better lens you will
be able to appreciate the value of better quality glass.

Steven 11-12-2006 07:23 PM

Re: D80 at Costco

Get a 30D instead of the buggy D80.

Even the Rebel Xti is a better choise.

Look here all the complains about noise and metering problems.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20831512

more here:

David J Taylor 11-12-2006 07:31 PM

Re: D80 at Costco

Steven wrote:
> Get a 30D instead of the buggy D80.
>
> Even the Rebel Xti is a better choise.

Choice of a camera should include the handling, in addition to all the
other features. By all reports, the Nikon handles very well. I would
expect any bugs in the D80 to be resolved by firmware upgrades, just as
Canon do for their cameras.

David

Bill Funk 11-12-2006 07:33 PM

Re: D80 at Costco

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:07:20 -0700, "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
>RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
>which the xTi has addressed.

Dust doesn't do what Canon evidently thinks it does.
Observe dust, and you'll see it doesn't obediently fall down
immediately when disturbed, and it certainly isn't attracted to a
vertically oriented sticky strip below the sensor.
Anti-dust shakers are a marketing thing (maybe I should say, "scam"?)
that don't work. Dust just doesn't do what would be necessary for them
to work.
There are many solutions for 'dust on the sensor' on the market.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Steven 11-12-2006 07:46 PM

Re: D80 at Costco

the Canon system works pretty well according some owners.

Its suppose to be a lot better than the one in the alpa.

You can even find "before and after" examples in some forums.

acl 11-12-2006 07:49 PM

Re: D80 at Costco

Steven wrote:
> Get a 30D instead of the buggy D80.
>
> Even the Rebel Xti is a better choise.
>
> Look here all the complains about noise and metering problems.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20831512

Did you bother to look there? It's a photo with the built-in flash, at
f/5.6 and 70mm. The flash has a guide number of 13. The lady seems to
be more than 2m away to me.