Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why did reviewers not pick up on the Leica M8 problems? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430474-why-did-reviewers-not-pick-up-on-the-leica-m8-problems.html)

Scott W 11-12-2006 03:53 PM

Why did reviewers not pick up on the Leica M8 problems?

Because they were asked not to publish what they saw until after Leica
had time to address the issues.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/new/index.shtml

My believe on this is pretty straight forward, unless there was a
factual error in the review print it as is and let Leica put a
statement in addressing the issue. Instead it was done in a way that
says they (both Leica and Luminous Landscape) did not trust the buying
public to make up their own minds on this issue.

Another option would have been to simply state that they were holding
off on reviewing the M8 until after some issues were cleared up.

Leica has acted more like a politician doing spin control then a
company that really cares about their customers.

Scott

Malcolm Stewart 11-12-2006 04:29 PM

Re: Why did reviewers not pick up on the Leica M8 problems?

"Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1163346819.336552.115300@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Because they were asked not to publish what they saw until after Leica
> had time to address the issues.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/new/index.shtml
>
> My believe on this is pretty straight forward, unless there was a
> factual error in the review print it as is and let Leica put a
> statement in addressing the issue. Instead it was done in a way that
> says they (both Leica and Luminous Landscape) did not trust the buying
> public to make up their own minds on this issue.

Now that it's out in the open, I'm interested in how reviews in the
pipeline, and later, will address the issue.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Steven 11-12-2006 06:13 PM

"Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:1163346819.336552.115300@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Because they were asked not to publish what they saw until after Leica
> had time to address the issues.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/new/index.shtml

You trust someone who says that ? : "Ps: Inevitably someone is going to
write on one of the online forums that I must be biased toward Leica to
write such a favorable review. Ok. I admit it. I'm biased. Now, get over it!
"

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...leica-m8.shtml

He sounds a lot like a Ken Rockwell mixed with Phil Askey. One is a moron
and the other will do anything to please his sponsors.

Bob Williams 11-12-2006 09:41 PM

Scott W wrote:
> Because they were asked not to publish what they saw until after Leica
> had time to address the issues.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/new/index.shtml
>
> My believe on this is pretty straight forward, unless there was a
> factual error in the review print it as is and let Leica put a
> statement in addressing the issue. Instead it was done in a way that
> says they (both Leica and Luminous Landscape) did not trust the buying
> public to make up their own minds on this issue.
>
> Another option would have been to simply state that they were holding
> off on reviewing the M8 until after some issues were cleared up.
>
> Leica has acted more like a politician doing spin control then a
> company that really cares about their customers.
>
> Scott

What are some of the "issues" that were uncovered by users that were
ignored or played down by the reviewers?
I have not kept abreast of the Leica M8 saga.
Bob Williams

Bryan Olson 11-12-2006 10:26 PM

Scott W wrote:
> Because they were asked not to publish what they saw until after Leica
> had time to address the issues.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/new/index.shtml
>
> My believe on this is pretty straight forward, unless there was a
> factual error in the review print it as is and let Leica put a
> statement in addressing the issue. Instead it was done in a way that
> says they (both Leica and Luminous Landscape) did not trust the buying
> public to make up their own minds on this issue.
>
> Another option would have been to simply state that they were holding
> off on reviewing the M8 until after some issues were cleared up.
>
> Leica has acted more like a politician doing spin control then a
> company that really cares about their customers.

I'm with you up to the last sentence, where you seem to put much
of the blame on Leica. Luminous Landscape has been a terrific net
source, but it's reputation drops with this one.

--
--Bryan

Pete D 11-13-2006 05:28 AM

"Bob Williams" <mytbob@cox.nospam.net> wrote in message

> Scott W wrote:
>> Because they were asked not to publish what they saw until after Leica
>> had time to address the issues.
>>
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/new/index.shtml
>>
>> My believe on this is pretty straight forward, unless there was a
>> factual error in the review print it as is and let Leica put a
>> statement in addressing the issue. Instead it was done in a way that
>> says they (both Leica and Luminous Landscape) did not trust the buying
>> public to make up their own minds on this issue.
>>
>> Another option would have been to simply state that they were holding
>> off on reviewing the M8 until after some issues were cleared up.
>>
>> Leica has acted more like a politician doing spin control then a
>> company that really cares about their customers. Scott
>>

> What are some of the "issues" that were uncovered by users that were
> ignored or played down by the reviewers?
> I have not kept abreast of the Leica M8 saga.
> Bob Williams

Purple is the new black!

Scott W 11-13-2006 05:50 AM

Pete D wrote:
> "Bob Williams" <mytbob@cox.nospam.net> wrote in message
> > What are some of the "issues" that were uncovered by users that were
> > ignored or played down by the reviewers?
> > I have not kept abreast of the Leica M8 saga.
> > Bob Williams
> >

> Purple is the new black!

Yup, a lot of black fabrics photograph as purple with the M8, this is
due to a weak IR blocking filter. This also has the effect of making
green plants look yellow.

Scott

Doug Robbins 11-13-2006 02:18 PM

Re: Why did reviewers not pick up on the Leica M8 problems?

A camera this outrageously expensive should not have "issues".

Doug

Hebee Jeebes 11-13-2006 07:26 PM

Re: Why did reviewers not pick up on the Leica M8 problems?

Well, sure a camera that expensive shouldn't have issues. But, it is par for
the course these days as well. Consumers do very little to stop this and it
is 100% within the power of consumers. If they don't buy, then the companies
will do better. However, people do buy and in doing so they let companies
get away with a lot of things that they shouldn't get away with. So really
consumers shouldn't be complaining because they are getting screwed. For
they are the ones that walk around in a permanently stooped position.

As for why reviewers didn't catch the problems. They did. They just couldn't
risk saying anything. Because if they had then the company in question would
never have provided them with another product to review. Reviewers have it
hard. They have to balance the truth about a product and the need to keep on
companies good side so they can continue to get products to review. They
only way around this is if reviewers bought a product like a consumer would.
Then they would be 100% free to say what they wanted. However, reviewers,
magazines,etc. simply don't have that kind of money. So a lot of bad things
are mentioned and those that are are very highly sugar coated.

Scott W 11-13-2006 08:32 PM

Hebee Jeebes wrote:
> Well, sure a camera that expensive shouldn't have issues. But, it is par for
> the course these days as well. Consumers do very little to stop this and it
> is 100% within the power of consumers. If they don't buy, then the companies
> will do better. However, people do buy and in doing so they let companies
> get away with a lot of things that they shouldn't get away with. So really
> consumers shouldn't be complaining because they are getting screwed. For
> they are the ones that walk around in a permanently stooped position.
>
> As for why reviewers didn't catch the problems. They did. They just couldn't
> risk saying anything. Because if they had then the company in question would
> never have provided them with another product to review. Reviewers have it
> hard. They have to balance the truth about a product and the need to keep on
> companies good side so they can continue to get products to review. They
> only way around this is if reviewers bought a product like a consumer would.
> Then they would be 100% free to say what they wanted. However, reviewers,
> magazines,etc. simply don't have that kind of money. So a lot of bad things
> are mentioned and those that are are very highly sugar coated.

Actually I believe there is a lot consumers can do about it and we are
doing it right now. By raising the issues on the various news groups
and user forums the camera companies are quickly getting the idea that
times are changing and if you mess up like this word spreads almost
instantaneously.

And the reviewer who are getting beat up for not reporting on this
issue I believe will be a bit more careful the next time something like
this happens.

BTW I have one of the B+W 486 filters (IR blocking filer) and so did a
quick test of both my 350D and the Sony F828. The 350D showed no IR
leak problems at all the F828 show a slight purple but nothing like
what the M8 is producing. When this same filter is used in front of
the M8 the difference is dramatic.

Scott