Velocity Reviews

-   -   More pixels every week! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430430-more-pixels-every-week.html)

nigel@nigelcampbell.net 11-10-2006 04:38 PM

More pixels every week!

Hello everyone.

I just joined the group today - I'm not really a big joiner of things
but who knows, this could be fun.

Last year I upgraded my previous digital camera to a Canon 350d - now I
see the 400d launched going up to 10 mp! it looks like we can't get
enough pixels these days. I'm sorely tempted, but who knows if that
won't be out of date the moment I buy it!

anyway... if you want to see what I'm doing with the basic 8 megapixels
then you can see my shots here:

http://www.nigelcampbell.net

Any and all comments welcome of course.

Nigel
--
http://www.nigelcampbell.net

lubecki@hotmail.com 11-10-2006 04:58 PM

Re: More pixels every week!

nigel@nigelcampbell.net wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I just joined the group today - I'm not really a big joiner of things
> but who knows, this could be fun.
>
> Last year I upgraded my previous digital camera to a Canon 350d - now I
> see the 400d launched going up to 10 mp! it looks like we can't get
> enough pixels these days. I'm sorely tempted, but who knows if that
> won't be out of date the moment I buy it!
>
> anyway... if you want to see what I'm doing with the basic 8 megapixels
> then you can see my shots here:
>
> http://www.nigelcampbell.net
>
> Any and all comments welcome of course.

Some very nice pictures. You clearly have a good eye for subject matter
and composition. I like your PP work, too, especially on the b&w
images. Good stuff.

-Gniewko

SimonLW 11-10-2006 05:01 PM

Re: More pixels every week!

<nigel@nigelcampbell.net> wrote in message
news:1163176702.930517.212300@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
> Hello everyone.
>
> I just joined the group today - I'm not really a big joiner of things
> but who knows, this could be fun.
>
> Last year I upgraded my previous digital camera to a Canon 350d - now I
> see the 400d launched going up to 10 mp! it looks like we can't get
> enough pixels these days. I'm sorely tempted, but who knows if that
> won't be out of date the moment I buy it!
>
> anyway... if you want to see what I'm doing with the basic 8 megapixels
> then you can see my shots here:
>
> http://www.nigelcampbell.net
>
> Any and all comments welcome of course.
>
> Nigel
> --
> http://www.nigelcampbell.net

Check DPreview.com. there is really no huge difference going from 8 to 10
MP. You may like the other new features of the XTi/400D.
-S

Frank ess 11-10-2006 05:05 PM

Re: More pixels every week!

lubecki@hotmail.com wrote:
> nigel@nigelcampbell.net wrote:
>> Hello everyone.
>>
>> I just joined the group today - I'm not really a big joiner of
>> things
>> but who knows, this could be fun.
>>
>> Last year I upgraded my previous digital camera to a Canon 350d -
>> now I see the 400d launched going up to 10 mp! it looks like we
>> can't get enough pixels these days. I'm sorely tempted, but who
>> knows if that won't be out of date the moment I buy it!
>>
>> anyway... if you want to see what I'm doing with the basic 8
>> megapixels then you can see my shots here:
>>
>> http://www.nigelcampbell.net
>>
>> Any and all comments welcome of course.

> Some very nice pictures. You clearly have a good eye for subject
> matter and composition. I like your PP work, too, especially on the
> b&w images. Good stuff.

I do agree.

If I were rich I'd offer to sponsor additional pixels,
just for the good of the sport.

--
Frank ess

timeOday 11-11-2006 04:30 AM

Re: More pixels every week!

nigel@nigelcampbell.net wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I just joined the group today - I'm not really a big joiner of things
> but who knows, this could be fun.
>
> Last year I upgraded my previous digital camera to a Canon 350d - now I
> see the 400d launched going up to 10 mp! it looks like we can't get
> enough pixels these days. I'm sorely tempted, but who knows if that
> won't be out of date the moment I buy it!
>
> anyway... if you want to see what I'm doing with the basic 8 megapixels
> then you can see my shots here:
>
> http://www.nigelcampbell.net
>
> Any and all comments welcome of course.
>
> Nigel
> --
> http://www.nigelcampbell.net

Wow, nice. A lot of your shots have dramatic clouds. May I ask, are
you using a gradient filter during shooting, or is it all postprocessing
(burn)? Or multiple exposures?

=?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?= 11-11-2006 06:02 AM

Re: More pixels every week!

nigel@nigelcampbell.net wrote:

> Last year I upgraded my previous digital camera to a Canon 350d - now I
> see the 400d launched going up to 10 mp! ... I'm sorely tempted

Hm... and why do you need so many pixels ? Only because they are
available ? And you could have more pixels than the Jonses across the
fence ?

You need more pixels if you print posters 40" x 60" or submit you works
to geographical magazines. But if you print only up to like 6" x 8",
then you need only 3-6 MP.

nigel@nigelcampbell.net 11-12-2006 05:38 PM

Re: More pixels every week!

timeOday wrote:
> Wow, nice. A lot of your shots have dramatic clouds. May I ask, are
> you using a gradient filter during shooting, or is it all postprocessing
> (burn)? Or multiple exposures?

Some of the skies are the result of multiple exposures or a little post
processing. I used to do very little to my shots but these days its all
about the way I see it when I'm there. I have sensitive eyes and often
wear sunglasses - even on overcast days - so I guess that's what I'm
replicating. I prefer not to use filters as there's no way to remove
them once you have taken the shot and many of the filters you can buy
can be recreated in post production without too much fuss.

Nigel
--
http://www.nigelcampbell.net