Velocity Reviews

-   -   URGENT HELP required for olympus orf raw file (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430428-urgent-help-required-for-olympus-orf-raw-file.html)

stratocasted 11-10-2006 03:46 PM

URGENT HELP required for olympus orf raw file

I have the olympus sp-510uz digital camera. When I select the raw image
mode, the camera as usual saves it as a .orf file. I then wish to use
this in applications such as photomatix to create hdr images. When I
load the orf file into such programs, including photoshop, the raw
picture is distorted, the colors have been messed up and the resulting
image bears little resemblance to original photograph. How can i
rectify this??
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Doug Robbins 11-10-2006 03:56 PM

Re: URGENT HELP required for olympus orf raw file

Is your house on fire? Are you bleeding to death? Is this truly urgent?

news:1163173568.494193.117270@f16g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

bongo 11-10-2006 04:06 PM

"Doug Robbins" <crobbins6@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is your house on fire? Are you bleeding to death? Is this truly urgent?

it would be to you if it was your camera that you was having trouble with.

stratocasted 11-10-2006 04:08 PM

bongo wrote:
> "Doug Robbins" <crobbins6@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Is your house on fire? Are you bleeding to death? Is this truly urgent?
> >

> it would be to you if it was your camera that you was having trouble with.

Okay its not that type of urgency. But I would really like help on this

Ken Weitzel 11-10-2006 04:15 PM

stratocasted wrote:
> bongo wrote:
>> "Doug Robbins" <crobbins6@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Is your house on fire? Are you bleeding to death? Is this truly urgent?
>>>

>> it would be to you if it was your camera that you was having trouble with.

> Okay its not that type of urgency. But I would really like help on this

Hi...

Sorry, but I have no idea what photomatrix is...

I'd suggest loading it into Camedia Master and see
what it looks like for starters.

(that's the Camedia Master that came on the cd with the
camera, NOT the older previous camedia masters that didn't
have raw support)

Take care.

Ken

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) 11-10-2006 04:20 PM

Re: URGENT HELP required for olympus orf raw file

On 10 Nov 2006 07:46:08 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "stratocasted"
<Aditya.Mookerjee@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have the olympus sp-510uz digital camera. When I select the raw image
>mode, the camera as usual saves it as a .orf file. I then wish to use
>this in applications such as photomatix to create hdr images. When I
>load the orf file into such programs, including photoshop, the raw
>picture is distorted, the colors have been messed up and the resulting
>image bears little resemblance to original photograph. How can i
>rectify this??
>PLEASE HELP!!!!

What version of Photoshop and what version of ACR do you have? Is this a
unique problem which as just showed up or something that always happens?
You might look into upgrading the version of ACR you have from the Adobe
site.
--
Ed Ruf (Usenet2@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

grruffbowwow@yahoo.com 11-10-2006 04:25 PM

stratocasted wrote:
> bongo wrote:
> > "Doug Robbins" <crobbins6@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > Is your house on fire? Are you bleeding to death? Is this truly urgent?
> > >

> > it would be to you if it was your camera that you was having trouble with.

> Okay its not that type of urgency. But I would really like help on this

The RAW file will not have all of the adjustments the camera performs
before it creates a JPEG - so the image will be noisy, with dull colors
and it'll be soft because no sharpening has been applied; with RAW you
get to decide about all those things. It could also be that the
software doesn't recognise the 510's specific "flavor" of ORF; each
Olympus camera has a slightly different RAW file output.

You should have gotten Olympus Master or Camedia software with your
camera - it's very clunky software but it does a good job of ORFs.
Just "develop" the same ORF with default, minus 2 and plus 2 (or
thereabouts) exposure compensation to get three TIFs, and then use them
in your HDR software to combine tham to get an extra 4 EV.

stratocasted 11-10-2006 04:31 PM

Re: URGENT HELP required for olympus orf raw file

thanks for the advice.
but on other orf files, i downloaded a sample, the software worked
fine.
on the camedia software i can see the photo fine.
ill try your advice about splitting into dif photos.
but do you have any idea what do if i import a single raw?

Earl Misanchuk 11-10-2006 04:34 PM

Re: URGENT HELP required for olympus orf raw file

In article <1163173568.494193.117270@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups .com>,
"stratocasted" <Aditya.Mookerjee@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the olympus sp-510uz digital camera. When I select the raw image
> mode, the camera as usual saves it as a .orf file. I then wish to use
> this in applications such as photomatix to create hdr images. When I
> load the orf file into such programs, including photoshop, the raw
> picture is distorted, the colors have been messed up and the resulting
> image bears little resemblance to original photograph. How can i
> rectify this??
> PLEASE HELP!!!!

Have you tried to Olympus website? I believe they will have a plug-in
for Photoshop that will allow you to import ORF files.

grruffbowwow@yahoo.com 11-10-2006 04:50 PM

stratocasted wrote:
> thanks for the advice.
> but on other orf files, i downloaded a sample, the software worked
> fine.
> on the camedia software i can see the photo fine.
> ill try your advice about splitting into dif photos.
> but do you have any idea what do if i import a single raw?

No, not really. I've never used HDR software - I have done a few pics
by hand, though. Some info that might help the forum guide you would
be - are you using the Olympus Photoshop plugin, or ACR to import the
image into PS? And what version of Photomatix, ACR and Photoshop are
you using?

When you say "other ORF files" do you mean other 510UZ ORFs, or just
other ORFs from another Olympus camera? I'd still be concerned that
your software is not recognising the 510UZ's ORF properly. Can you just
"straight" develop any images from your camera with Photoshop, or are
all of them messed up?