Velocity Reviews

-   -   Blurb: user experience (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430381-blurb-user-experience.html)

Kinon O'Cann 11-08-2006 04:32 PM

Blurb: user experience

I've tried a few services to make "coffee table" style books, and Blurb was
the latest, so I thought I pass along a brief description of the experience.

The software used to create the book is good, but not perfect. I'd still
prefer the ability to simply create a PDF file in the proper size and
format, and sent that to the printer. It seems that no matter how much
flexibility they think they've built into the program, you want more. For
example, landscape full bleed images are possible, but not portrait. Why?

The upload process is smooth, and presented no problems. However, after
upload, I got little feedback, in fact almost none until the book shipped a
week later. Not a huge issue, though. One thing I'd like to see is the
ability to connect and check on the status of the book/order. Not possible
with the current web site (www.blurb.com)

The book itself is OK, but I'd like to see printing that equals my ink jet
(an Epson 2200). None of them do, and all of them seem to use the "color
Xerox" type of printing. The quality is OK, but really, it's just adequate
and will not match any photo ink jet printer. I'd like to see higher quality
printing with glossy pages.

Overall, the addition of a glossy jacket is a nice touch, and the ability to
create huge books is a big plus, but I'm still wanting for image quality.

Pat 11-08-2006 05:51 PM

Re: Blurb: user experience

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
> I've tried a few services to make "coffee table" style books, and Blurb was
> the latest, so I thought I pass along a brief description of the experience.
>
> The software used to create the book is good, but not perfect. I'd still
> prefer the ability to simply create a PDF file in the proper size and
> format, and sent that to the printer. It seems that no matter how much
> flexibility they think they've built into the program, you want more. For
> example, landscape full bleed images are possible, but not portrait. Why?
>
> The upload process is smooth, and presented no problems. However, after
> upload, I got little feedback, in fact almost none until the book shipped a
> week later. Not a huge issue, though. One thing I'd like to see is the
> ability to connect and check on the status of the book/order. Not possible
> with the current web site (www.blurb.com)
>
> The book itself is OK, but I'd like to see printing that equals my ink jet
> (an Epson 2200). None of them do, and all of them seem to use the "color
> Xerox" type of printing. The quality is OK, but really, it's just adequate
> and will not match any photo ink jet printer. I'd like to see higher quality
> printing with glossy pages.
>
> Overall, the addition of a glossy jacket is a nice touch, and the ability to
> create huge books is a big plus, but I'm still wanting for image quality.

But you're paying a buck a page. That's Walmart pricing. It costs
more than that to get a decent 8x10 print, let alone the binding.

There are lots of other companies out there that do similar work with
excellent results -- better than your ink-jet could do, but they are
10X more expensive. For the price, you're probably getting a good deal.

Kinon O'cann 11-11-2006 12:08 AM

Re: Blurb: user experience

"Pat" <groups@artisticphotography.us> wrote in message
news:1163008274.692930.274560@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

> Kinon O'Cann wrote:
>> I've tried a few services to make "coffee table" style books, and Blurb
>> was
>> the latest, so I thought I pass along a brief description of the
>> experience.
>>
>> The software used to create the book is good, but not perfect. I'd still
>> prefer the ability to simply create a PDF file in the proper size and
>> format, and sent that to the printer. It seems that no matter how much
>> flexibility they think they've built into the program, you want more. For
>> example, landscape full bleed images are possible, but not portrait. Why?
>>
>> The upload process is smooth, and presented no problems. However, after
>> upload, I got little feedback, in fact almost none until the book shipped
>> week later. Not a huge issue, though. One thing I'd like to see is the
>> ability to connect and check on the status of the book/order. Not
>> possible
>> with the current web site (www.blurb.com)
>>
>> The book itself is OK, but I'd like to see printing that equals my ink
>> jet
>> (an Epson 2200). None of them do, and all of them seem to use the "color
>> Xerox" type of printing. The quality is OK, but really, it's just
>> adequate
>> and will not match any photo ink jet printer. I'd like to see higher
>> quality
>> printing with glossy pages.
>>
>> Overall, the addition of a glossy jacket is a nice touch, and the ability
>> create huge books is a big plus, but I'm still wanting for image quality.

> But you're paying a buck a page. That's Walmart pricing. It costs
> more than that to get a decent 8x10 print, let alone the binding.
>
> There are lots of other companies out there that do similar work with
> excellent results -- better than your ink-jet could do, but they are
> 10X more expensive. For the price, you're probably getting a good deal.

Can you point me to some of the other companies who will do higher quality
books? If any look good, I'll give them a try, as well.

Pat 11-11-2006 03:30 AM

Re: Blurb: user experience

Send me an email and I'll see what I can come up with.