Velocity Reviews

-   -   nikon D50 lenses ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430375-nikon-d50-lenses.html)

bongo 11-08-2006 10:45 AM

nikon D50 lenses ?

hi,
i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
that will fit the nikon D50?.
i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
manually.

Panos 11-08-2006 10:55 AM

Re: nikon D50 lenses ?

bongo wrote:
> hi,
> i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
> that will fit the nikon D50?.
> i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
> manually.

You may not mind a manual focus lens but the D50 will! It cannot meter
with manual focus lenses. Other lens brands you can use are Sigma,
Tokina and Tamron. Make sure you choose the Nikon F-mount version of
their lenses when you buy one.

[BnH] 11-08-2006 11:04 AM

Re: nikon D50 lenses ?

Really ? I think the 45 /2.8 P and 500 / 4.0 P I tried can meter with a D50
last time :)

=bob=

news:1162983312.075777.182150@b28g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

acl 11-08-2006 11:46 AM

Re: nikon D50 lenses ?

bongo wrote:
> hi,
> i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
> that will fit the nikon D50?.
> i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
> manually.

Sigma, Tamron, Tokina make lenses. Autofocus too.

Bill Crocker 11-08-2006 11:56 AM

Re: nikon D50 lenses ?

" bongo" <-deeeenoregistrar@hotmail.co.uk_no> wrote in message
> hi,
> i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
> that will fit the nikon D50?.
> i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
> manually.

In addition to the manufactures already mentioned, Ritz Camera carries a
line of inexpensive lenses labeled Quantaray. I've never used one, and from
what I've heard they're not high quality, but they can get the job done if
your budget is limited. They may be manufactured by one of the other
companies, and just re-branded for Ritz Camera.

I have a Nikon D200, and I tried a Sigma 50-500mm, and I was not impressed.
I recently purchased a Tokina 12-24mm for about half the price of it's Nikon
counter part, and I actually think it's better!

Bill Crocker

tomm42 11-08-2006 01:33 PM

Re: nikon D50 lenses ?

On Nov 8, 5:45 am, " bongo" <-deeeenoregist...@hotmail.co.uk_no> wrote:
> hi,
> i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
> that will fit the nikon D50?.
> i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
> manually.

What lens are you looking for? For a kit lens the Nikon 18-70 is not
bad, on the down side it is a 3.5-4.5 lens. Sigma, Tamron and Tokina
make an 18(17)-50 f2.8 lens, but all three have QC problems, all 4
lenses go for under $500 with the Nikon about $300. The lenses can be
very good or bad. There are a few lenses that are manual focus and can
have a metering chip put on them, but with the D50 viewfinder focusing
will be difficult. You can learn to use the camera on manual and use a
handheld meter, focuing will still be an issue.

Godd luck
Tom

Don Stauffer in Minnesota 11-08-2006 02:22 PM

Re: nikon D50 lenses ?

bongo wrote:
> hi,
> i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
> that will fit the nikon D50?.
> i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
> manually.

We have a Tamron zoom lens for ours that includes the autofocus and
every other option. Works just like a Nikon lens, and we are fine with
it.

Panos 11-08-2006 03:14 PM

Re: nikon D50 lenses ?

[BnH] wrote:
> Really ? I think the 45 /2.8 P and 500 / 4.0 P I tried can meter with a D50
> last time :)
>
> =bob=
>
> "Panos" <panos.asproulis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1162983312.075777.182150@b28g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>
> > You may not mind a manual focus lens but the D50 will! It cannot meter
> > with manual focus lenses. Other lens brands you can use are Sigma,
> > Tokina and Tamron. Make sure you choose the Nikon F-mount version of
> > their lenses when you buy one.

These are the only P-type lenses in existence which have a CPU so
metering is supported. I wonder why Nikon has not produced more lenses
of this type. I have the same question regarding the Zeiss manual focus
lenses for Nikon cameras. Why is it they do not have a CPU?

Dennis Pogson 11-08-2006 04:23 PM

Re: nikon D50 lenses ?

bongo wrote:
> hi,
> i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of
> lenses, that will fit the nikon D50?.
> i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
> manually.

Just bought a superb Nikon AF 70-210 lens for my D70. Bought it on E-Bay for
80. I guess it would be at least 400 new, but it is totally
indistinguishable from a new lens, even down to the Hoya UV filter,
packaging and instruction manual.

You can get the shorter focal length zooms (kit lenses) for around 80 to
100 on Ebay. The 17-55 actually retails new for 84 in the UK.

A standard F1.8 50mm manual Nikon lens can be bought for 30 on Ebay. You
really only get a digital SLR without metering and focussing using these
lenses. Is it really worth it? Might as well buy a Panasonic FZ50!

Dennis.

Adrian Boliston 11-08-2006 07:23 PM

Re: nikon D50 lenses ?

"Dennis Pogson" <dennis_nospampogson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> You can get the shorter focal length zooms (kit lenses) for around 80 to
> 100 on Ebay. The 17-55 actually retails new for 84 in the UK.

I wish! I paid about 10X this for my 17-55. I think you must mean the
18-55 3.5/5.6.