Velocity Reviews

-   -   Leica M8 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430343-leica-m8.html)

Steven 11-07-2006 07:08 AM

Leica M8

Read this (price at bottom)

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/

Then go see the pictures people are actually taking with that camera.

Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?

frederick 11-07-2006 07:24 AM

Re: Leica M8

Steven wrote:
> Read this (price at bottom)
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/
>
> Then go see the pictures people are actually taking with that camera.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1038
>
> Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?

"I know one leaf in shot 1 is overexposed, that is intentional."

Dennis Pogson 11-07-2006 08:42 AM

Re: Leica M8

Steven wrote:
> Read this (price at bottom)
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/
>
> Then go see the pictures people are actually taking with that camera.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1038
>
> Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?

Leica is a religion, not a camera. I can think of many worse ways of using
disposable income.

Paul Rubin 11-07-2006 09:00 AM

Re: Leica M8

"Dennis Pogson" <dennis_nospampogson@ntlworld.com> writes:
> > Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?

> Leica is a religion, not a camera. I can think of many worse ways of
> using disposable income.

I've always had a foolish desire to own either an M3DS or an M6 or M7
someday. Sort of like an old British sports car. But an M8? Forget it.

Kamal R. Prasad 11-07-2006 01:19 PM

Re: Leica M8

Steven wrote:
> Read this (price at bottom)
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/
>
> Then go see the pictures people are actually taking with that camera.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1038
>
> Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?

If you read the review, it costs about as much as a Canon 50D -but has
slightly lower performance. The M-system range finder is a different
system than an SLR. There is no reflex lens because of which the body
is much smaller. It works better for travel
photography/photo-journalism etc -but not so well for macro shots.
Why does it cost so much? For about the same reason that it costs more
to buy an SLR body without lens than to buy a P&S camera. There are
about 3 range finder manufacturers and all of them price their analog
range finders more than your avg D-SLR. It might be a religion to buy a
Leica, but the reviews I read indicate there is quality to the
product(s).
A Leica DSLR (D-system) would be Digilux3. It costs US $2500 with a
lens -which is more than an avg DSLR, but then leica lenses are
expensive (for whatever reasons which I wouldn't dispute or confirm).
If you want a Leica cheaper than that, there is a V-Lux1 which provides
35-450mm f/2.8-4.5 lens and can do a lot of what DSLRs do for $849. If
you want one even cheaper than that -there is DLux3 for <$500 and a
C-Lux1 for less than that. One can buy equivalents of all Leica
products (other than range finders) from Panasonic at competitive
prices too. The chip used by their products is from Panasonic and only
the lens is a Leica one.

regards
-kamal

tomm42 11-07-2006 01:40 PM

Re: Leica M8

On Nov 7, 3:42 am, "Dennis Pogson" <dennis_nospampog...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:
> Steven wrote:
> > Read this (price at bottom)

> >http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/

> > Then go see the pictures people are actually taking with that camera.

> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1038

> > Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?Leica is a religion, not a camera. I can think of many worse ways of using

> disposable income.

Not a religion but an obsession. After using M's for 30 years, I can
say it is the one camera that fits right in my hand and I can get good
pics right out of the box, well I hope better than those you linked to.
Can I afford an M8? Not with 2 kids in college. For the wide to 135mm
range an M Leica is the best machine ever made. Let us see how the
digital fares.

Tom

bmoag 11-07-2006 03:59 PM

Re: Leica M8

Despite their financial woes Leicas are still pecision instruments that fit
a specific niche better than any other.
If I could justify the cost of upgrading my little used M3 I would have long
ago. I run a few rolls through it every now and then and thing still works
(it is almost as old as I am!). Still I count my Leica and its lenses as
prized posessions.
Worldwide I suspect that the size of the Leica niche is a smaller percentage
of photographers than in the pre autofocus/pre digital age. Nevertheless the
total numbers of photographers still willing and able to buy Leicas is
seeming to keep the company afloat (that and probably a large cash infusion
from Matsushita).
Apple still sells millions of computers, can afford to advertise on American
television, and yet the percentage of Apple users worldwide remains around
%5, too low to interest most virus writers (and commercial program writers
too but that is another issue--I got an email ad from Apple touting it for
use in the medical field. I assure you there is not one single imaging or
medical business software package that is written for Apple that has
anything other than a niche market).

jeremy 11-07-2006 04:20 PM

Re: Leica M8

"bmoag" <aetoo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:a324h.2409$vP1.461@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com ...
> Despite their financial woes Leicas are still pecision instruments that
> fit a specific niche better than any other.

You may be gratified by the feel of the precision equipment (just as I am
about working with my classic Pentax M42 stuff) but that in itself is no
guarantee that the images will turn out better.

Much as I find plastic-barreled lenses distasteful, they can produce
excellent images. Take away the equipment, and display the photos alone,
and there are few people that can tell which camera made which image.
Sometimes we fret over brand too much.

Bill Crocker 11-07-2006 09:08 PM

Re: Leica M8

"Steven" <sure@whynot.taz> wrote in message
news:uhW3h.60190$VK2.1009512@wagner.videotron.net. ..

> Read this (price at bottom)
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/
>
> Then go see the pictures people are actually taking with that camera.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1038
>
> Why would anyone pay that much for that camera ?

I've said it before...Leica is the "Gray Poupon" of the camera world. Some
people believe spending more, is buying more. To a point this can be true,
but Leica is an extreme! As the old saying goes, "A fool and his money are
soon parted!"

Bill Crocker