Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   PS Elements 4 - Opinions Please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430338-ps-elements-4-opinions-please.html)

DB4 11-06-2006 10:04 PM

PS Elements 4 - Opinions Please
 
Hi

Looking to buy PS Elements but the reviews on elements 4 seem very mixed -
particularly with respect to the file management slowing systems down.
Anyone experienced this? Can it be used as an image editor only and use
other (Iview Media) file management software alongside it or is the default
file management heavily integrated ? Is this feature as miserable on the
Apple Mac as well (I use both PC and MAC). Thanks
Dennis


Doug Robbins 11-06-2006 10:07 PM

Re: PS Elements 4 - Opinions Please
 
PSE 5 is out now.

"DB4" <kubaton@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:C17561E7.9CC2%kubaton@tiscali.co.uk...
> Hi
>
> Looking to buy PS Elements but the reviews on elements 4 seem very mixed -
> particularly with respect to the file management slowing systems down.
> Anyone experienced this? Can it be used as an image editor only and use
> other (Iview Media) file management software alongside it or is the
> default
> file management heavily integrated ? Is this feature as miserable on the
> Apple Mac as well (I use both PC and MAC). Thanks
> Dennis
>




DB4 11-06-2006 10:28 PM

Re: PS Elements 4 - Opinions Please
 
Thanks for that Doug.
I appreciate PS 5 has recently been released but I wouldn't be considering
it yet until a few people had bought it and could give honest reviews on it.
There seems to be a LOT of feedback on Amazon and the like with respect to
PS 4 but much of it conflicting (solid five stars to disapointed 1 stars).
I'm guessing this may reflect the capability (or settings) of the machines
people are trying to run it on?
Regards
Dennis


On 6/11/06 22:07, in article umO3h.20642$39.10307@southeast.rr.com, "Doug
Robbins" <crobbins6@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> PSE 5 is out now.
>
> "DB4" <kubaton@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:C17561E7.9CC2%kubaton@tiscali.co.uk...
>> Hi
>>
>> Looking to buy PS Elements but the reviews on elements 4 seem very mixed -
>> particularly with respect to the file management slowing systems down.
>> Anyone experienced this? Can it be used as an image editor only and use
>> other (Iview Media) file management software alongside it or is the
>> default
>> file management heavily integrated ? Is this feature as miserable on the
>> Apple Mac as well (I use both PC and MAC). Thanks
>> Dennis
>>

>
>



Andy Hewitt 11-06-2006 10:29 PM

Re: PS Elements 4 - Opinions Please
 
DB4 <kubaton@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Looking to buy PS Elements but the reviews on elements 4 seem very mixed -
> particularly with respect to the file management slowing systems down.
> Anyone experienced this? Can it be used as an image editor only and use
> other (Iview Media) file management software alongside it or is the default
> file management heavily integrated ? Is this feature as miserable on the
> Apple Mac as well (I use both PC and MAC). Thanks
> Dennis


I found the organising tools very fiddly and poor myself. You
essentially set it up in a folder hierarchy first.

However, you can intergrate it as an editor with most other organisation
apps - for certain iPhoto and Aperture work well. I don't know about
iView.

I have just got Aperture, and for general photo editing and basic
corrections I never run Elements at all. You only need it when you get
more creative. The Levels tool in Aperture is far better than the one in
Elements.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.mac.com/andrewhewitt1/>

Ronald Hands 11-06-2006 10:43 PM

Re: PS Elements 4 - Opinions Please
 
DB4 wrote:

> I appreciate PS 5 has recently been released but I wouldn't be considering
> it yet until a few people had bought it and could give honest reviews on it.


There's an adobe forum for PSE: lots of experts and lots of good advice.
Also, if you have broadband, you can download a 30-day trial of the
full PSE 5.0 and see what you think.

-- Ron

chris 11-07-2006 12:10 AM

Re: PS Elements 4 - Opinions Please
 
I got PSE 4 because I was sick to death of PSE 3 playing up under
Tiger. I have had it for a couple of months and it seems to work
great! It comes with Bridge which is hideously slow on my 1.33 G4
iBook but I don't use it with Bridge so I don't care.

I use it with iView Mediapro 3.1 and it works superbly set up as a
Helper app

Cheers

Chris



Ronald Hands wrote:
> DB4 wrote:
>
> > I appreciate PS 5 has recently been released but I wouldn't be considering
> > it yet until a few people had bought it and could give honest reviews on it.

>
> There's an adobe forum for PSE: lots of experts and lots of good advice.
> Also, if you have broadband, you can download a 30-day trial of the
> full PSE 5.0 and see what you think.
>
> -- Ron



MyVeryOwnSelf 11-07-2006 12:53 AM

Re: PS Elements 4 - Opinions Please
 
> Looking to buy PS Elements but the reviews on elements 4 seem very
> mixed - particularly with respect to the file management slowing
> systems down. Anyone experienced this? Can it be used as an image
> editor only and use other (Iview Media) file management software
> alongside it or is the default file management heavily integrated ?


I use PSE 4 as an image editor only. MS-Windows organizes the photo files
well enough by itself. Works for me, anyhow.

Ron Hunter 11-07-2006 02:08 AM

Re: PS Elements 4 - Opinions Please
 
DB4 wrote:
> Hi
>
> Looking to buy PS Elements but the reviews on elements 4 seem very mixed -
> particularly with respect to the file management slowing systems down.
> Anyone experienced this? Can it be used as an image editor only and use
> other (Iview Media) file management software alongside it or is the default
> file management heavily integrated ? Is this feature as miserable on the
> Apple Mac as well (I use both PC and MAC). Thanks
> Dennis
>


It is integrated, but one can disable whatever parts he doesn't want to
use. The editing facilities are great!
I have some serious concerns about the usability of the organizer.

Ron Hunter 11-07-2006 02:10 AM

Re: PS Elements 4 - Opinions Please
 
DB4 wrote:
> Thanks for that Doug.
> I appreciate PS 5 has recently been released but I wouldn't be considering
> it yet until a few people had bought it and could give honest reviews on it.
> There seems to be a LOT of feedback on Amazon and the like with respect to
> PS 4 but much of it conflicting (solid five stars to disapointed 1 stars).
> I'm guessing this may reflect the capability (or settings) of the machines
> people are trying to run it on?
> Regards
> Dennis
>


I don't have PS4 or PS5, but have found that PS3 really needs a powerful
machine to work well. I run it on my HP Laptop when on trips, and it is
ok for downloading pictures from my camera, and for minor editing, but
for serious editing, I wait until I get back to my AMD 64 3700+ machine
to do the heavy editing. The difference is quite noticeable.



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.