Velocity Reviews

-   -   I Do *Not* Understand "Program Mode" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430329-i-do-not-understand-program-mode.html)

mutefan@yahoo.com 11-06-2006 10:47 AM

I Do *Not* Understand "Program Mode"

I've read the manual (on my PowerShot A620). I use, successfully,
Manual Mode all the time. I've used Shutter Priority Mode successfully
(Aperture, never).

Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know exactly
what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.

Randy Berbaum 11-06-2006 10:58 AM

Re: I Do *Not* Understand "Program Mode"

mutefan@yahoo.com wrote:
: I've read the manual (on my PowerShot A620). I use, successfully,
: Manual Mode all the time. I've used Shutter Priority Mode successfully
: (Aperture, never).

: Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know exactly
: what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.

In general, the modes are all different purely as to what is automated.
The manual and other modes you mention each have one or more parameters
that are automated. Program automates both Aperture and Shutter. But none
of the other parameters are toyed with. For example the various scene
modes do what program does but also weighs other factors such as leaning
toward keeping the shutter fast in sports mode, or ignoring a dark
background in portrait mode. And a full auto mode tends to automate
everything that can be automated (including choosing film speed).

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

SimonLW 11-06-2006 12:24 PM

<mutefan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1162810065.712913.232260@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> I've read the manual (on my PowerShot A620). I use, successfully,
> Manual Mode all the time. I've used Shutter Priority Mode successfully
> (Aperture, never).
>
> Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know exactly
> what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.

Program mode is like the full auto (green) mode, but it allows you access to
many more options that are not available in full auto. I believe on your
model, you can shift the aperture/shutter combination as well.
-S

l v 11-06-2006 02:02 PM

SimonLW wrote:
> <mutefan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1162810065.712913.232260@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
>> I've read the manual (on my PowerShot A620). I use, successfully,
>> Manual Mode all the time. I've used Shutter Priority Mode successfully
>> (Aperture, never).
>>
>> Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know exactly
>> what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.
>>

> Program mode is like the full auto (green) mode, but it allows you access to
> many more options that are not available in full auto. I believe on your
> model, you can shift the aperture/shutter combination as well.
> -S

In addition, it will not automatically pop open the built-in flash if
the light is low.

--

Len

Bates 11-06-2006 06:34 PM

On Nov 6, 7:24 am, "SimonLW" <nos...@donet.com> wrote:
> <mute...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1162810065.712913.232260@i42g2000cwa.g ooglegroups.com...> I've read the manual (on my PowerShot A620). I use, successfully,
> > Manual Mode all the time. I've used Shutter Priority Mode successfully
> > (Aperture, never).

> > Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know exactly
> > what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.Program mode is like the full auto (green) mode, but it allows you access to

> many more options that are not available in full auto. I believe on your
> model, you can shift the aperture/shutter combination as well.
> -S

Exactly - in full Auto mode (green on your dial) it chooses the shutter
speed and the aperature for you. In program mode, it still chooses the
aperature and shutter speed, but you get to pick the ISO, white
balance, whether you use flash or not and a few other things (I think
on the A620 for example you can only use the continuous drive mode in
Program but not in Auto).

Bates.......

Fred Anonymous 11-06-2006 07:28 PM

"SimonLW" <nospam@donet.com> wrote in message
> <mutefan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1162810065.712913.232260@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> > I've read the manual (on my PowerShot A620). I use, successfully,
> > Manual Mode all the time. I've used Shutter Priority Mode successfully
> > (Aperture, never).
> >
> > Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know exactly
> > what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.
> >

> Program mode is like the full auto (green) mode, but it allows you access

> many more options that are not available in full auto. I believe on your
> model, you can shift the aperture/shutter combination as well.
> -S

Hello folks.

I think it is also the case that Program mode, unlike Tv and Av mode, will
not let you choose a shutter/aperture combination that would result in over
or under exposure.

Regards, Ian.

Skip 11-06-2006 08:05 PM

"Fred Anonymous" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message

> Hello folks.
>
> I think it is also the case that Program mode, unlike Tv and Av mode, will
> not let you choose a shutter/aperture combination that would result in
> over
> or under exposure.
>
> Regards, Ian.

Neither will Tv or Av. In shutter priority (Tv) you choose the shutter
speed and the camera selects the appropriate aperture to produce a proper
exposure. In aperture priority, the opposite is true, you select the
aperture, the camera selects the correct shutter speed to get the exposure
right. Or that's the theory, anyway.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Bill 11-06-2006 08:14 PM

Re: I Do *Not* Understand "Program Mode"

"Fred Anonymous" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message

>> > Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know
>> > exactly
>> > what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.
>> >

>> Program mode is like the full auto (green) mode, but it allows you
>> access
>> to many more options that are not available in full auto. I believe
>> on your
>> model, you can shift the aperture/shutter combination as well.

> I think it is also the case that Program mode, unlike Tv and Av
> mode, will
> not let you choose a shutter/aperture combination that would result
> in over
> or under exposure.

Actually it will, it's "shiftable" program control. You can adjust the
shutter and aperture values up or down to get the exposure results you
want - it just gives you an automatic exposure to start, and you can
shift it as needed. If you go in small steps, say a slightly wider
aperture, then the program mode will automatically compensate and
raise the shutter speed similar to how S and A modes would work.

If you go too far, you will get an under or overexposed shot, although
the camera meter will indicate the exposure problems in the viewfinder
to let you know as you make adjustments.

Jim Townsend 11-06-2006 08:25 PM

mutefan@yahoo.com wrote:

> Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know exactly
> what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.

In Tv mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture.

In Av mode, you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed.

In P mode, the camera sets the aperture and shutter speed.

P mode is NOT the same as the 'Green square' AUTO mode because
unlike the 'Green Square' mode you still have control over
important shooting parameters like white balance, ISO, exposure
compensation, exposure bracketing, flash compensation and whether
the flash fires or not.

All these things are disabled in the camera menu when you use
the AUTO modes.

Charles Schuler 11-06-2006 08:45 PM

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
> mutefan@yahoo.com wrote:
>

>> Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know exactly
>> what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.

> In Tv mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture.
>
> In Av mode, you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed.
>
> In P mode, the camera sets the aperture and shutter speed.
>
> P mode is NOT the same as the 'Green square' AUTO mode because
> unlike the 'Green Square' mode you still have control over
> important shooting parameters like white balance, ISO, exposure
> compensation, exposure bracketing, flash compensation and whether
> the flash fires or not.
>
> All these things are disabled in the camera menu when you use
> the AUTO modes.

All good stuff above. I'll add that it is easy to "shift the program" which
is a nice feature ... change the aperture and the shutter speed will
automatically be changed, or change the shutter speed and the aperture will
change to compensate (I use program shift sometimes as it is a fast way to
get desired results).