Velocity Reviews

-   -   B/W to Color (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430310-b-w-to-color.html)

amehal@gmail.com 11-05-2006 05:29 AM

B/W to Color

Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?

Victor A. Garcia 11-05-2006 06:12 AM

Re: B/W to Color

amehal@gmail.com wrote:
> Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?

Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most photographers
of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
using crayons or ink, pretty good job, but very labor intensive.
PS, will cut little bit on the labor part, but still will be a long
project, if you want a quality picture.

Randy Berbaum 11-05-2006 07:43 AM

Re: B/W to Color

amehal@gmail.com <amehal@gmail.com> wrote:
: Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?

Yes and no, kinda. (I think I covered all the bases with that answer
didn't I.) :)

Yes you can convert the format from a grey tone image to a color image,
but the image will still be one with only shades of grey. Since the grey
scale image (B&W) does not have any color data in it, there is no color
data to colorize the grey scale image. But you can use a paintbrush and
the pallet of colors, to color the images. If you use the adjustment to
keep the opacity of the color low you can paint over the grey image
without covering up the black parts of the image. This whole process will
be about as realistic as your talent will allow. But it is still more like
"colorizing" in a childs coloring book. With lots of practice and lots of
skill you might be able to make a very convincing color image, but for
many of us the time spent to colorize a single image would tend to be very
daunting.

This problem is why many of us recommend that if you want to take a B&W
image you may want to just go ahead and take it in color and then convert
to grey scale in post production. This way you will have both the color
version stored away for safety as well as the B&W version. I personally do
not use the "color effects" in the camera for anything other than to
examine what a changed version would look like without making the changes
to the image itself. Besides, if I do the conversion in post I will also
be in the right place to fine tune the conversion to adjust the contrast
range to present the best possible grey scale image possible. The same
goes for in camera effects as sepia and such.

JMHO

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Joseph Meehan 11-05-2006 11:08 AM

Re: B/W to Color

Victor A. Garcia wrote:
> amehal@gmail.com wrote:
>> Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?
>>

> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most photographers
> of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
> using crayons or ink,

Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Skip 11-05-2006 02:15 PM

Re: B/W to Color

"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoeSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3Dj3h.22981$pq4.20508@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com. ..
> Victor A. Garcia wrote:
>> amehal@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?
>>>

>> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most photographers
>> of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
>> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
>> using crayons or ink,

> Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.

Or pastel pencils. But oil paint was the best, still is.
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com/rememberhim.html
I'm not sure somebody can do better than that in Pshop. But I'm biased,
it's my wife's work.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Neil Ellwood 11-05-2006 02:54 PM

Re: B/W to Color

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:08:47 +0000, Joseph Meehan wrote:

> Victor A. Garcia wrote:
>> amehal@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?
>>>

>> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most photographers
>> of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
>> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
>> using crayons or ink,

> Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.
>
>> pretty good job, but very labor intensive.
>> PS, will cut little bit on the labor part, but still will be a long
>> project, if you want a quality picture.

I used water soluble dyes most of the time but once I tried linseed oil
and crayons but took about six months to dry.

--
Neil
swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email

Joseph Meehan 11-05-2006 03:03 PM

Re: B/W to Color

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> Victor A. Garcia wrote:
>> amehal@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Can I convert B/W photo`s to color in Photoshop 7?
>>>

>> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most
>> photographers of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
>> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
>> using crayons or ink,

> Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.

I finally remembered the name of the product "Marchall's Photo Colors"

Skip 11-05-2006 08:28 PM

Re: B/W to Color

"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoeSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:w3n3h.24367$OE1.8151@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com.. .
> Joseph Meehan wrote:
>> Victor A. Garcia wrote:
>>>>

>>> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most
>>> photographers of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
>>> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
>>> using crayons or ink,

>> Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.

> I finally remembered the name of the product "Marchall's Photo Colors"
>

>>> pretty good job, but very labor intensive.
>>> PS, will cut little bit on the labor part, but still will be a long
>>> project, if you want a quality picture.

> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia 's Muire duit

Marshall's also produced colored pencils, but they weren't as good as the
oils.

--
Skip Middleton

Joseph Meehan 11-05-2006 08:48 PM

Re: B/W to Color

Neil Ellwood wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:08:47 +0000, Joseph Meehan wrote:
>
>> Victor A. Garcia wrote:
>>>>

>>> Sure you can, you can do as good or better job than most
>>> photographers of the 40's, 50's did on their shops.
>>> They took a B/W, annotated some details, then colorized the picture
>>> using crayons or ink,

>> Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.
>>
>>> pretty good job, but very labor intensive.
>>> PS, will cut little bit on the labor part, but still will be a long
>>> project, if you want a quality picture.

> I used water soluble dyes most of the time but once I tried linseed
> oil and crayons but took about six months to dry.

I think the oils on the 60+ year old photo of my mother are still not
"dry."

Frankly I like the extra working time and the ease of blending of the
oil based products.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Victor A. Garcia 11-06-2006 06:45 AM

Re: B/W to Color

Skip wrote:
> "Joseph Meehan" <sligojoeSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:w3n3h.24367$OE1.8151@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com.. .
>> Joseph Meehan wrote:

>>> Actually we used oil based products not ink or crayons.

>> I finally remembered the name of the product "Marchall's Photo Colors"

>> --
>> Joseph Meehan
>>
>> Dia 's Muire duit
>>

> Marshall's also produced colored pencils, but they weren't as good as the
> oils.

Probably that was the high-quality choice, not available on a rural
environment, like the one I grew-up, of the 3 surviving ones on our
family, 2 were crayon, the other ink+crayon.
Never had seen one in oil, but most be a better medium, the ink on ours
is smearing, and the colors are fading on the crayons.