Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is this photo REAL or SURREAL? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430307-is-this-photo-real-or-surreal.html)

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com 11-05-2006 02:44 AM

Is this photo REAL or SURREAL?

Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome to
me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated from a
3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what you guys
thought.

http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146...lbum=10&pos=14

Thanks in advance

DAVID

timeOday 11-05-2006 03:37 AM

Re: Is this photo REAL or SURREAL?

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com wrote:
> Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome to
> me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated from a
> 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what you guys
> thought.
>
> http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146...lbum=10&pos=14
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> DAVID

Definitely CGI, but the waves are especially nice, how they rise up only
near the shore.

MarkČ 11-05-2006 04:05 AM

Re: Is this photo REAL or SURREAL?

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com wrote:
> Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome
> to me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated
> from a 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what
> you guys thought.
>
> http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146...lbum=10&pos=14
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> DAVID

Wasn't the fact that the site's name is "shiftedreality.com" a clue?
Oh, and how about the link "3D Digital Art"???
:)

It's a very realistic work of digital art...save for the impossible rock
formations...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Frank ess 11-05-2006 04:08 AM

MarkČ wrote:
> David_nj_7@mailbolt.com wrote:
>> Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks
>> awesome
>> to me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated
>> from a 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what
>> you guys thought.
>>
>> http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146...lbum=10&pos=14
>>

>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> DAVID

> Wasn't the fact that the site's name is "shiftedreality.com" a clue?
> Oh, and how about the link "3D Digital Art"???
> :)
>
> It's a very realistic work of digital art...save for the impossible
> rock formations...

I recognized Mickey Mouse, one of the "Fantasia" hippos, and Yogi Bear

Frank ess

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com 11-05-2006 04:20 AM

Frank ess wrote:

I recognized Mickey Mouse, one of the "Fantasia" hippos, and Yogi
Bear.

OK... OK I'm not using the best monitor. I guess I should call an
eyedoctor too.... lol

Thanks

David

Ron Hunter 11-05-2006 07:06 AM

Re: Is this photo REAL or SURREAL?

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com wrote:
> Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome to
> me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated from a
> 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what you guys
> thought.
>
> http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146...lbum=10&pos=14
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> DAVID

Combination?

Ray Fischer 11-05-2006 08:22 AM

Re: Is this photo REAL or SURREAL?

<David_nj_7@mailbolt.com> wrote:
>Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome to
>me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated from a
>3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what you guys
>thought.
>
>http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146...lbum=10&pos=14

One tip is the overuse of the "fog" effect. Gives the illusion of
distance, but in this case it conflicts with the clarity of the sun.
And the ground looks too dry next to the water - with waves there is
always wet ground next to the water.

And, of course, the rocks are too improbable.

But I don't thinks it's entirely 3D computer graphics. It looks more
like a composite of photographs and 2D illustration.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

Jer 11-05-2006 01:08 PM

Re: Is this photo REAL or SURREAL?

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com wrote:
> Hi... I'm using a crappy monitor here and this picture looks awesome to
> me but I can't tell if it's a real photo or something generated from a
> 3D program. My guess is the latter but I was wondering what you guys
> thought.
>
> http://www.shiftedreality.com/cpg146...lbum=10&pos=14
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> DAVID

The front cover of a new Pink Floyd album?

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Ken Tough 11-05-2006 05:58 PM

Ray Fischer <rfischer@sonic.net> wrote:

>One tip is the overuse of the "fog" effect. Gives the illusion of
>distance, but in this case it conflicts with the clarity of the sun.

You do get lots of funny patchy fog over the sea. I've seen similar
conditions and that part really doesn't surprise me.

>And the ground looks too dry next to the water - with waves there is
>always wet ground next to the water.

The line along the water is the giveaway. Not so much because it
should be wet (it could be supposed to be porous rock; the beach/
cliffs on the windward edge of Curacao come to mind) but because
there is far too sharp and smooth an edge between land and water
on that curve along the left side.

>And, of course, the rocks are too improbable.

And I tried to see whether any are just reflections/rotations,
which would be the dead giveway. Too hard to see that..

--
Ken Tough

bruin70@mail.com 11-06-2006 02:33 AM

Re: Is this photo REAL or SURREAL?

it's memorex. the silhoetttes are too crisp and nondescript