Velocity Reviews

-   -   PSE 5 & Windows XP "My Pictures" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430303-pse-5-and-windows-xp-my-pictures.html)

BRH 11-04-2006 10:31 PM

PSE 5 & Windows XP "My Pictures"

PS Elements 5 automatically places photos downloaded off of my memory
card into Windows XP's "My Pictures" location, which is, by default,
located on my C: drive.

I like to keep my C: drive limited to only the OS and a limited number
of other files, so would like to place the "My Pictures" location onto
my D: Drive.

Is there a way of doing this either thru XP or thru PSE?

Thanks!

just bob 11-04-2006 11:15 PM

Re: PSE 5 & Windows XP "My Pictures"

<BRH> wrote in message news:F8mdnT-d3LhOidDYnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@comcast.com...
> PS Elements 5 automatically places photos downloaded off of my memory card
> into Windows XP's "My Pictures" location, which is, by default, located on
> my C: drive.
>
> I like to keep my C: drive limited to only the OS and a limited number of
> other files, so would like to place the "My Pictures" location onto my D:
> Drive.
>
> Is there a way of doing this either thru XP or thru PSE?

How about changing the target location of the My Documents folder?

Right-click on My Documents and type in D:\ for target

Jack Mac 11-05-2006 03:47 AM

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 15:15:29 -0800, "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:

><BRH> wrote in message news:F8mdnT-d3LhOidDYnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@comcast.com...
>> PS Elements 5 automatically places photos downloaded off of my memory card
>> into Windows XP's "My Pictures" location, which is, by default, located on
>> my C: drive.
>>
>> I like to keep my C: drive limited to only the OS and a limited number of
>> other files, so would like to place the "My Pictures" location onto my D:
>> Drive.
>>
>> Is there a way of doing this either thru XP or thru PSE?

>How about changing the target location of the My Documents folder?
>
>Right-click on My Documents and type in D:\ for target

I have another internal hard drive that I have nothing on it but Photos.
Before I insert my card reader into a USB port I open the Hard Drive
(G: in this case). I have my photos separated first by the camera
that took the photos....I have 3. I create a new Folder by the
subject or occasion of the photos. Then I plug in the card reader
and direct PSE to download the photos to that new Folder.
Then I direct PSE to remove the photos from Card.
(I'm using PSE 4 but your PSE 5 should have at least the same
capabilities.)
There are many ways to organize photos, this happens to be
the way I do it. I'm not even sure it's the *best* way to do it.
Jack Mac

DubDriver 11-05-2006 10:58 AM

Re: PSE 5 & Windows XP "My Pictures"

<BRH> wrote in message news:F8mdnT-d3LhOidDYnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@comcast.com...
> PS Elements 5 automatically places photos downloaded off of my memory card
> into Windows XP's "My Pictures" location, which is, by default, located on
> my C: drive.
>
> I like to keep my C: drive limited to only the OS and a limited number of
> other files, so would like to place the "My Pictures" location onto my D:
> Drive.
>
> Is there a way of doing this either thru XP or thru PSE?

A programme I know that can set that up for you is TweakXP
Trial available...
http://www.totalidea.com/content/twe...kxp-index.html

Cgiorgio 11-05-2006 11:36 AM

"DubDriver" <dubsdrive1@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <BRH> wrote in message
>> PS Elements 5 automatically places photos downloaded off of my memory
>> card into Windows XP's "My Pictures" location, which is, by default,
>> located on my C: drive.
>>
>> I like to keep my C: drive limited to only the OS and a limited number of
>> other files, so would like to place the "My Pictures" location onto my D:
>> Drive.
>>
>> Is there a way of doing this either thru XP or thru PSE?

Get Microsoft Powertoys from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

install tweakui
start it

go to My Computer / Special Folders
select Folder My Pictures
hit "change location"
select your desired location

Done

John Bean 11-05-2006 12:02 PM

Re: PSE 5 & Windows XP "My Pictures"

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 12:36:50 +0100, "Cgiorgio"
<me@nowhere.org> wrote:

>"DubDriver" <dubsdrive1@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> <BRH> wrote in message
>>> PS Elements 5 automatically places photos downloaded off of my memory
>>> card into Windows XP's "My Pictures" location, which is, by default,
>>> located on my C: drive.
>>>
>>> I like to keep my C: drive limited to only the OS and a limited number of
>>> other files, so would like to place the "My Pictures" location onto my D:
>>> Drive.
>>>
>>> Is there a way of doing this either thru XP or thru PSE?

>Get Microsoft Powertoys from
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>
>install tweakui
>start it
>
>go to My Computer / Special Folders
>select Folder My Pictures
>hit "change location"
>select your desired location
>
>Done

Or just edit the location in the registry with regedit. All
the locations (including "My Pictures") are listed under:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent
Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders"

--
John Bean

Dave 11-05-2006 01:56 PM

Re: PSE 5 & Windows XP "My Pictures"

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 12:02:03 +0000, John Bean <waterfoot@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 12:36:50 +0100, "Cgiorgio"
><me@nowhere.org> wrote:
>

>>"DubDriver" <dubsdrive1@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> <BRH> wrote in message

>>Get Microsoft Powertoys from
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>>
>>install tweakui
>>start it
>>
>>go to My Computer / Special Folders
>>select Folder My Pictures
>>hit "change location"
>>select your desired location
>>
>>Done
>>

>Or just edit the location in the registry with regedit. All
>the locations (including "My Pictures") are listed under:
>
>"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rent
>Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders"

Why not just tell Elements where you want to save the files? Start
Organizer, Edit Preferences, chose Camera and tell it where to save
the imported images.

Simple enough?

Dave

THO 11-05-2006 03:07 PM

Re: PSE 5 & Windows XP "My Pictures"

In article <d8rrk2p3o4c7angmgh1ssjptbo7r3c7dt2@4ax.com>,
Dave <dmjohn29@REMOVE.hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Or just edit the location in the registry with regedit. All
> >the locations (including "My Pictures") are listed under:
> >
> >"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rent
> >Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders"

> Why not just tell Elements where you want to save the files? Start
> Organizer, Edit Preferences, chose Camera and tell it where to save
> the imported images.
>
> Simple enough?

What kind of a computer nerd are you? You'd choose changing an
application preference over mucking with the registry?? ;)

Ron Hunter 11-06-2006 11:05 AM

DubDriver wrote:
> <BRH> wrote in message news:F8mdnT-d3LhOidDYnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@comcast.com...
>> PS Elements 5 automatically places photos downloaded off of my memory card
>> into Windows XP's "My Pictures" location, which is, by default, located on
>> my C: drive.
>>
>> I like to keep my C: drive limited to only the OS and a limited number of
>> other files, so would like to place the "My Pictures" location onto my D:
>> Drive.
>>
>> Is there a way of doing this either thru XP or thru PSE?

> A programme I know that can set that up for you is TweakXP
> Trial available...
> http://www.totalidea.com/content/twe...kxp-index.html

You can designate where the My Pictures folder is put by Windows, and
PSE5 will track it down. TweakUI is an easy way of doing this, but
there are other methods for the Windows XP expert.

A word to the wise.
Let windows put things where IT wants them, you life will be a LOT easier.