Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430290-nikon-d40-af-s-lenses-only.html)

THO 11-04-2006 03:26 PM

Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only?

So now there are supposedly leaked photos and info about the D50
replacement, the D40, on some european site and Ken Rockwell's site. Now
I know that this info isn't straight from Nikon but the one thing that
doesn't make sense is the report that the camera can only use AF-S
lenses. That severely limits the number of available lenses and would
confuse the hell out of beginners. Anyone think there is any merit to
the AF-S report?

Bill 11-04-2006 03:42 PM

Re: Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only?

"THO" <tho@tho.tho.23.invalid> wrote in message
> So now there are supposedly leaked photos and info about the D50
> replacement, the D40, on some european site and Ken Rockwell's site.
> Now
> I know that this info isn't straight from Nikon but the one thing
> that
> doesn't make sense is the report that the camera can only use AF-S
> lenses. That severely limits the number of available lenses and
> would
> confuse the hell out of beginners. Anyone think there is any merit
> the AF-S report?

I don't know if it's real or not, but anything is possible.

And since most users who would buy a deficient D40, are not interested
in buying a lot of lenses. Chances are good they would use the 18-55
kit lense only which is AF-S. Some might want a cheap telephoto zoom
like the 55-200 which is also AF-S, and would likely be offered in a
two-lense kit like the D50.

That would cover their needs and be inexpensive, which is the audience
where the D40 would seem to be targeted.

tomm42 11-04-2006 06:31 PM

Re: Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only?

> I don't know if it's real or not, but anything is possible.
>
> And since most users who would buy a deficient D40, are not interested
> in buying a lot of lenses. Chances are good they would use the 18-55
> kit lense only which is AF-S. Some might want a cheap telephoto zoom
> like the 55-200 which is also AF-S, and would likely be offered in a
> two-lense kit like the D50.
>
> That would cover their needs and be inexpensive, which is the audience
> where the D40 would seem to be targeted.

Yes all Nikon kit lenses are AF-S, saves a lot of money not putting a
motor and screw drive mechanism in the camera. But it also cuts using
some of Nikon's best lenses, the macros, 80-200, 180 f2.8 for starters.

Tom

JR 11-05-2006 05:27 AM

Re: Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only?

In article <1162665087.900933.199920@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups .com>,
"tomm42" <tmonego@wildblue.net> wrote:

> > I don't know if it's real or not, but anything is possible.
> >
> > And since most users who would buy a deficient D40, are not interested
> > in buying a lot of lenses. Chances are good they would use the 18-55
> > kit lense only which is AF-S. Some might want a cheap telephoto zoom
> > like the 55-200 which is also AF-S, and would likely be offered in a
> > two-lense kit like the D50.
> >
> > That would cover their needs and be inexpensive, which is the audience
> > where the D40 would seem to be targeted.

> Yes all Nikon kit lenses are AF-S, saves a lot of money not putting a
> motor and screw drive mechanism in the camera. But it also cuts using
> some of Nikon's best lenses, the macros, 80-200, 180 f2.8 for starters.
>
> Tom

Yes it is to save money with no motor in the body, use the motor in the
lens....You can get just about every good lens Nikon makes in an AF-S
version so its not that big of a deal unless you have older lenses or
want to get good second hand lenses....then get the D80, or better yet
the D200 then you can meter with manual focus lenses as well....

JR

Paul Rubin 11-05-2006 06:20 AM

Re: Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only?

JR <jrhone@mac.com.invalid> writes:
> Yes it is to save money with no motor in the body, use the motor in the
> lens....You can get just about every good lens Nikon makes in an AF-S
> version

What?! How about the good old 50/1.8? 60mm Micro? 180/2.8? These
are lenses that a D40 buyer could very well want. But even the newest
and fanciest lenses are not always AFS, e.g. the 80-400 VR.

Paul Rubin 11-05-2006 06:28 AM

Re: Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only?

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
> But even the newest and fanciest lenses are not always AFS, e.g. the
> 80-400 VR.

Oh the 80-400 is older than I thought. Maybe I confused it with the
new and ultra expensive 200-400 which is AF-S.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) 11-05-2006 10:45 AM

Re: Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only?

On 4 Nov 2006 10:31:28 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "tomm42"
<tmonego@wildblue.net> wrote:

>> I don't know if it's real or not, but anything is possible.
>>
>> And since most users who would buy a deficient D40, are not interested
>> in buying a lot of lenses. Chances are good they would use the 18-55
>> kit lense only which is AF-S. Some might want a cheap telephoto zoom
>> like the 55-200 which is also AF-S, and would likely be offered in a
>> two-lense kit like the D50.
>>
>> That would cover their needs and be inexpensive, which is the audience
>> where the D40 would seem to be targeted.

>Yes all Nikon kit lenses are AF-S, saves a lot of money not putting a
>motor and screw drive mechanism in the camera. But it also cuts using
>some of Nikon's best lenses, the macros, 80-200, 180 f2.8 for starters.

Limits you on the wide end as well. I opted for the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 DX
AF vs the Nikon AF-S at considerably greater expense.
--
Ed Ruf (Usenet2@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

cjcampbell 11-05-2006 11:37 AM

Re: Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only?

THO wrote:
> So now there are supposedly leaked photos and info about the D50
> replacement, the D40, on some european site and Ken Rockwell's site. Now
> I know that this info isn't straight from Nikon but the one thing that
> doesn't make sense is the report that the camera can only use AF-S
> lenses. That severely limits the number of available lenses and would
> confuse the hell out of beginners. Anyone think there is any merit to
> the AF-S report?

This is a beginner's DSLR. Most of Nikon's consumer lenses are AF-S,
and Sigma and Tamron make compatible lenses. But most of the people who
buy a camera like this will buy one lens only. They will never change
lenses again.

cjcampbell 11-05-2006 11:39 AM

Re: Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only?

Paul Rubin wrote:
> JR <jrhone@mac.com.invalid> writes:
> > Yes it is to save money with no motor in the body, use the motor in the
> > lens....You can get just about every good lens Nikon makes in an AF-S
> > version

> What?! How about the good old 50/1.8? 60mm Micro? 180/2.8? These
> are lenses that a D40 buyer could very well want. But even the newest
> and fanciest lenses are not always AFS, e.g. the 80-400 VR.

The 80-400mm lens' days are numbered. Most Nikon fans were outraged
that it was not an AF-S lens, and they want VR II.

tomm42 11-05-2006 01:53 PM

Re: Nikon D40 - AF-S lenses only?

> This is a beginner's DSLR. Most of Nikon's consumer lenses are AF-S,
> and Sigma and Tamron make compatible lenses. But most of the people who
> buy a camera like this will buy one lens only. They will never change
> lenses again.

This is what Nikon is thinking, most D40 owners will buy the 18-55 and
maybe the 55-200, both lower grade lenses. This is to separate the
camera lines. Want to use the 60 micro, get a D80, I would expect the
D40 to have a porro-mirror viewfinder anyway, which is crap for macro.
If you want a cheap body buy a D50 while you can (still have the mirror
viewfinder though).

Tom