Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cheaper to rent a car than a P&S!!! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430285-cheaper-to-rent-a-car-than-a-p-and-s.html)

Rich 11-04-2006 04:41 AM

Cheaper to rent a car than a P&S!!!

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001

Phil Wheeler 11-04-2006 07:49 AM

Re: Cheaper to rent a car than a P&S!!!

Rich wrote:
> http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001

No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

Rich 11-04-2006 08:41 AM

Phil Wheeler wrote:
> Rich wrote:
> > http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001
> >

> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

Gerrit 't Hart 11-04-2006 11:23 AM

"Rich" <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1162629660.599656.302850@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...

> Phil Wheeler wrote:
> > Rich wrote:

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...st=frames.jsp&
currency=CAD&storeId=10001

> > No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

> True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
> means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
> rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

Canadian Dollars.
Not quite 5 days - closer to 10 days. :-)

Gerrit

JohnR66 11-04-2006 02:18 PM

"Gerrit 't Hart" <gthart@sad.au> wrote in message

> "Rich" <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1162629660.599656.302850@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
>>
>> Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> > Rich wrote:
>> > >

> http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...st=frames.jsp&
> currency=CAD&storeId=10001
>> > >

>> > No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

>> True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
>> means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
>> rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.
>>

> Canadian Dollars.
> Not quite 5 days - closer to 10 days. :-)
>
> Gerrit

$950 for a silver Rebel XTi body? B&H wants $715. Either their prices suck
or that's a good deal in Canadian dollars.
John

Bill Funk 11-04-2006 03:17 PM

On 4 Nov 2006 00:41:00 -0800, "Rich" <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:

>Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> Rich wrote:
>> > http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001
>> >

>> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

>True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
>means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
>rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

Having been in the rental business, I can vouch for the need for
seemingly high rental prices for small, complex devices such as
cameras.
Loss due to theft is high.
Unseen damage is frequent (a trip to the beach can cause damage that
won't be seen for a while).
Conflicts about who is responsible for failures are frequent, and
expensive to resolve.
And on and on and on...
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Phil Wheeler 11-04-2006 03:27 PM

Rich wrote:
> Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> Rich wrote:
>>> http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001
>>>

>> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

> True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
> means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
> rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

Easy solution: Buy a camera, do not rent.

Phil

Tom Ross 11-04-2006 04:33 PM

Re: Cheaper to rent a car than a P&S!!!

On 4 Nov 2006 00:41:00 -0800, "Rich" <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:

>Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> Rich wrote:
>> > http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001
>> >

>> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

>True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR.

I considered renting equipment a couple of times when I lived in
Dallas. If memory serves, both Competitive Camera and Dallas Camera
offered the 20D for around $100/day. That was a couple of years ago,
so the price may have changed. A 200mm 2.8L was around $30/day.

4>Which
>means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
>rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.

And an apartment would rent for around $20,000/day. It's an unfair
comparison: cameras are not cars (or apartments). Car rental companies
don't *want* to sell the car - renting is their business. Camera
stores, OTOH, want to sell the equipment - renting is a service.

Just curious - were you planning to rent a camera from Henry's?

TR

Rich 11-04-2006 06:26 PM

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
> "Rich" <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1162629660.599656.302850@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
> >
> > Phil Wheeler wrote:
> > > Rich wrote:
> > > >

> http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...st=frames.jsp&
> currency=CAD&storeId=10001
> > > >

> > > No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

> > True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
> > means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
> > rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.
> >

> Canadian Dollars.
> Not quite 5 days - closer to 10 days. :-)
>
> Gerrit

Three years ago, the Can. dollar was worth $0.63 U.S. Today it's about
$0.88.

Rich 11-04-2006 06:30 PM

Phil Wheeler wrote:
> Rich wrote:
> > Phil Wheeler wrote:
> >>>

> >> No surprise. Not much competition in that market!

> > True, but it's still nuts. $100/day for an entry level DSLR. Which
> > means they amortized the cost of the body in about five days. If cars
> > rented for that price, they'd be around $5000/day.
> >

> Easy solution: Buy a camera, do not rent.
>
> Phil

True, but I think pro rental is pretty robust, so those $30,000 medium
format jobs must not be bought outright by all professional photogs.
As for the $100 for a DSLR, I can't really understand why someone would
pay it unless they only needed the camera for a specific vacation (in
which case they might as well just buy it) or a business reason where
they can claim back the rental cost.