Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fall Foliage in Asheville, NC Area? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430227-fall-foliage-in-asheville-nc-area.html)

BRH 11-01-2006 04:37 PM

Fall Foliage in Asheville, NC Area?

I'm a beginner digital photographer who is considering making a weekend
trip to the Asheville, NC area this weekend to try my hand at some
nature/landscape photography (ie - fall foliage, etc).

I'm only able to spend two full days there, so was wondering whether
anyone has any tips about the best specific areas to shoot at/from. (ie
- the best views, such as Grandfather Mountain; Mt Mitchell; Great Smoky
Mountains NP; Chimney Rock; Lake Lure, etc.)

This is my first trip to the area, and I'm most interested in landscape
shots of foliage, mountains, etc.

Any suggestions (both about the area and any photography tips) would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

KENNETH BURNS 11-01-2006 05:33 PM

Re: Fall Foliage in Asheville, NC Area?

I was up at Lake Logan near Canton this past weekend. The colors were still
pretty good down in the valleys, but a lot of the trees were losing their
leaves pretty fast because of the strong winds. Up on the ridge tops the
trees were bare, especially around the Slick Rock Wilderness area. On the
south sides of the slopes in the Davidson River/Devil's Courthouse area
where the sun keeps things warmer, the colors were still pretty good.

If I were you, I would rule out Grandfather or Mt Mitchell, they peaked a
couple weeks ago. Lake Lure might still be good, but I haven't been over
there in several weeks. South Mtn State Park south of Moganton should still
be pretty good, I believe they are having guided highs this past weekend and
next weekend too.

KB
Hickory,NC

KENNETH BURNS 11-01-2006 05:37 PM

Re: Fall Foliage in Asheville, NC Area?

That's supposed to be "guided HIKES", not "highs". If you want to get high,
you'll have to do that on your own.

KB
Hickory, NC

news:5U42h.897$l25.294@newsread4.news.pas.earthlin k.net...

RHinNC 11-01-2006 09:03 PM

Re: Fall Foliage in Asheville, NC Area?

I would call someone before I went up there. I live in central NC and the
leaves are peaking right now here.

I suspect there is not much left around Asheville.....

John McWilliams 11-01-2006 10:33 PM

KENNETH BURNS wrote:
> That's supposed to be "guided HIKES", not "highs". If you want to get high,
> you'll have to do that on your own.

I thought perhaps they were able to move weather fronts around a bit....
So nice to have a distinguished film director among us.

--
John McWilliams

BRH 11-02-2006 01:54 AM

RHinNC wrote:
> I would call someone before I went up there. I live in central NC and the
> leaves are peaking right now here.
>
> I suspect there is not much left around Asheville.....
>

> <BRH> wrote in message news:DOSdnUDvsczWUNXYnZ2dnUVZ_rSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>
>>I'm a beginner digital photographer who is considering making a weekend
>>trip to the Asheville, NC area this weekend to try my hand at some
>>nature/landscape photography (ie - fall foliage, etc).
>>
>>I'm only able to spend two full days there, so was wondering whether
>>anyone has any tips about the best specific areas to shoot at/from. (ie -
>>the best views, such as Grandfather Mountain; Mt Mitchell; Great Smoky
>>Mountains NP; Chimney Rock; Lake Lure, etc.)
>>
>>This is my first trip to the area, and I'm most interested in landscape
>>shots of foliage, mountains, etc.
>>
>>Any suggestions (both about the area and any photography tips) would be
>>appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks!

Well, that's disappointing. www.foliagenetwork.com reports Peak Color.
but with moderate to high leaf drop in Western NC as of today. I'm not
sure how accurate their reports are, but I appreciate yours and
Kenneth's more first-hand responses to my question.

Thanks/.

Ron Hunter 11-02-2006 06:22 AM

BRH wrote:
> RHinNC wrote:
>> I would call someone before I went up there. I live in central NC and
>> the leaves are peaking right now here.
>>
>> I suspect there is not much left around Asheville.....
>>

>> <BRH> wrote in message
>> news:DOSdnUDvsczWUNXYnZ2dnUVZ_rSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>
>>> I'm a beginner digital photographer who is considering making a
>>> weekend trip to the Asheville, NC area this weekend to try my hand
>>> at some nature/landscape photography (ie - fall foliage, etc).
>>>
>>> I'm only able to spend two full days there, so was wondering whether
>>> anyone has any tips about the best specific areas to shoot at/from.
>>> (ie - the best views, such as Grandfather Mountain; Mt Mitchell;
>>> Great Smoky Mountains NP; Chimney Rock; Lake Lure, etc.)
>>>
>>> This is my first trip to the area, and I'm most interested in
>>> landscape shots of foliage, mountains, etc.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions (both about the area and any photography tips) would
>>> be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

> Well, that's disappointing. www.foliagenetwork.com reports Peak
> Color. but with moderate to high leaf drop in Western NC as of
> today. I'm not sure how accurate their reports are, but I appreciate
> yours and Kenneth's more first-hand responses to my question.
>
> Thanks/.

In any case, try the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some great views along that route.