Velocity Reviews

-   -   Leica M8 review on Luminous-Landscape (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430192-leica-m8-review-on-luminous-landscape.html)

Kinon O'Cann 10-30-2006 05:39 PM

Leica M8 review on Luminous-Landscape

Reichman's review is up, and if you wish to believe him, Leica has hit a
home run with this one.

www.luminous-landscape.com

I'd like to see some direct comparisons between this camera and the Canon 5D
with L primes. Would be interesting.

Scott W 10-30-2006 06:54 PM

Re: Leica M8 review on Luminous-Landscape

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
> Reichman's review is up, and if you wish to believe him, Leica has hit a
> home run with this one.
>
> www.luminous-landscape.com
>
> I'd like to see some direct comparisons between this camera and the Canon 5D
> with L primes. Would be interesting.

The test photos makes it look like the 5D is blowing it out of the
water.
Note on the flags crop that not only does the 5D have much less noise
but you can easily make out the double lines around the crest on the
flag in the Canon photo and the Leica more or less blurs it all
together.

I really think Leica's offering here falls far short of where it
should when they are asking that amount of money.

Scott

Dennis Pogson 10-30-2006 07:42 PM

Scott W wrote:
> Kinon O'Cann wrote:
>> Reichman's review is up, and if you wish to believe him, Leica has
>> hit a home run with this one.
>>
>> www.luminous-landscape.com
>>
>> I'd like to see some direct comparisons between this camera and the
>> Canon 5D with L primes. Would be interesting.

> The test photos makes it look like the 5D is blowing it out of the
> water.
> Note on the flags crop that not only does the 5D have much less noise
> but you can easily make out the double lines around the crest on the
> flag in the Canon photo and the Leica more or less blurs it all
> together.
>
> I really think Leica's offering here falls far short of where it
> should when they are asking that amount of money.
>
> Scott

Then buy a 5D.

If I could afford one without re-mortgaging the house, I would buy one. I
would just about get enough dosh by selling my BMW, but then, I would want a
Ferrari.

Guess my D70 will have to do for now. There's always the Lottery.

Dennis.

frederick 10-30-2006 08:00 PM

Scott W wrote:
> Kinon O'Cann wrote:
>> Reichman's review is up, and if you wish to believe him, Leica has hit a
>> home run with this one.
>>
>> www.luminous-landscape.com
>>
>> I'd like to see some direct comparisons between this camera and the Canon 5D
>> with L primes. Would be interesting.

> The test photos makes it look like the 5D is blowing it out of the
> water.
> Note on the flags crop that not only does the 5D have much less noise
> but you can easily make out the double lines around the crest on the
> flag in the Canon photo and the Leica more or less blurs it all
> together.
>
> I really think Leica's offering here falls far short of where it
> should when they are asking that amount of money.

It's bling. Any of the dslr makers could churn out something better.

Alfred Molon 10-30-2006 08:14 PM

Re: Leica M8 review on Luminous-Landscape

In article <1162234474.307309.54060@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>, Scott
W says...

> The test photos makes it look like the 5D is blowing it out of the
> water.
> Note on the flags crop that not only does the 5D have much less noise
> but you can easily make out the double lines around the crest on the
> flag in the Canon photo and the Leica more or less blurs it all
> together.

That's at the highest ISO levels, which normally you wouldn't use. ISO
3200 is an emergency mode anyway and you'll do most of the shooting at
lower ISO levels.
--

Alfred Molon

bmoag 10-30-2006 09:06 PM

Re: Leica M8 review on Luminous-Landscape

I would get one tomorrow if I could justify the cost. The sensor technology
is clearly adequate for the Leica mystique.
The reviewer takes great pains to point out that the rangefinder camera
experience is the core value of this camera and you either like it or you
don't.
I wonder if the recent spate of Leica M film clones will make the digital
transition or if they are dead end products?

deryck lant 10-30-2006 09:19 PM

Re: Leica M8 review on Luminous-Landscape

The message <XMq1h.8$0s.3@bos-service2b.ext.ray.com>
from "Kinon O'Cann" <somewhere@over.the.rainbow> contains these words:

> Reichman's review is up, and if you wish to believe him, Leica has hit a
> home run with this one.

> www.luminous-landscape.com

> I'd like to see some direct comparisons between this camera and the
> Canon 5D
> with L primes. Would be interesting.

As the review says:

In the case of the Leica M8 I am pleased to report that overall image
quality is
second to none. Only the Canon 5D and 1Ds MKII are better at high ISO,
and at ISO 400 and lower the M8 is their equal. Then again, right now there
are no other cameras producing as clean high ISO images as these two Canons.
But when combined with the superior quality of Leica lenses, and the
fact that
the M8 does not have a resolution reducing AA filter, I would argue that
there
are no current 35mm format cameras which offer superior image quality to the
Leica M8 at ISO 400 and lower.

David J. Littleboy 10-30-2006 09:34 PM

Re: Leica M8 review on Luminous-Landscape

"deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> quoted:

>> www.luminous-landscape.com

> As the review says:
>
> In the case of the Leica M8 I am pleased to report that overall image
> quality is
> second to none. Only the Canon 5D and 1Ds MKII are better at high ISO,
> and at ISO 400 and lower the M8 is their equal. Then again, right now
> there
> are no other cameras producing as clean high ISO images as these two
> Canons.
> But when combined with the superior quality of Leica lenses, and the
> fact that
> the M8 does not have a resolution reducing AA filter, I would argue that
> there
> are no current 35mm format cameras which offer superior image quality to
> the
> Leica M8 at ISO 400 and lower.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A Bayer camera without an AA filter is a color Moiré disaster waiting to
happen on every shot. The MF back users were just beginning to figure this
out when I stopped following those lists.

Sure, the images look just like Foveon images (snap-to-grid pixel-level
sharpness), but find some patterns that repeat at the wrong frequency, and
you'll be dead in the water. IMHO, the Foveon snap-to-grid pixel-level
sharpness itself is bogus, but at least it doesn't do color Moiré.

Sheesh. Leica is so off the wall, they have me saying nice things about
Foveon. That's impressive.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Scott W 10-30-2006 09:37 PM

Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <1162234474.307309.54060@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>, Scott
> W says...
>
> > The test photos makes it look like the 5D is blowing it out of the
> > water.
> > Note on the flags crop that not only does the 5D have much less noise
> > but you can easily make out the double lines around the crest on the
> > flag in the Canon photo and the Leica more or less blurs it all
> > together.

> That's at the highest ISO levels, which normally you wouldn't use. ISO
> 3200 is an emergency mode anyway and you'll do most of the shooting at
> lower ISO levels.

Except we have heard for years about how great the Leica is in low
light, partly because there is no mirror slap and partly because you
can shoot with the lens wide open. But the 5D will blow away the Leica
in low light shooting and for a whole lot less money. If your selling
point has been low light photography for years you better make a
digital that can work at high ISOs.

Scott

Paul Rubin 10-30-2006 09:44 PM

"Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> writes:
> Except we have heard for years about how great the Leica is in low
> light, partly because there is no mirror slap and partly because you
> can shoot with the lens wide open. But the 5D will blow away the Leica
> in low light shooting and for a whole lot less money. If your selling
> point has been low light photography for years you better make a
> digital that can work at high ISOs.

The traditional Leica low light shot was also black and white, while
the M8 (and 5D) use a color Bayer filter that kills somewhere between
one and two stops of the light reaching the sensor. Leica gets
interesting when they use a full frame, monochrome CCD.