Velocity Reviews

-   -   Casio shows Amber "Charge Standby" and never charges. Any advice? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430085-casio-shows-amber-charge-standby-and-never-charges-any-advice.html)

David Phillip Oster 10-26-2006 02:38 AM

Casio shows Amber "Charge Standby" and never charges. Any advice?

I've got a Casio EX S2. When I put it on its charger, the charger,
instead showing its normal red LED charging indicator, that turns green
when the camera is charged shows an amber indicator.

The manual says that an amber indicator means "Charge Standby".
And a web search for this make and indication says it means that that
the charger thinks the camera is too hot or too cold to actually charge
the battery. It is supposed to move to the "charging" state when the
camera goes to room temperature.

But, the camera never charges. Any advice?

This camera uses a non-standard rectangular LiOn NP-20 3.7v battery, so
I can't easily charge it in something else.

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com 10-26-2006 11:44 AM

Re: Casio shows Amber "Charge Standby" and never charges. Any advice?

David Phillip Oster wrote:
> I've got a Casio EX S2. When I put it on its charger, the charger,
> instead showing its normal red LED charging indicator, that turns green
> when the camera is charged shows an amber indicator.
>
> The manual says that an amber indicator means "Charge Standby".
> And a web search for this make and indication says it means that that
> the charger thinks the camera is too hot or too cold to actually charge
> the battery. It is supposed to move to the "charging" state when the
> camera goes to room temperature.
>
> But, the camera never charges. Any advice?

It may also mean the battery is no longer within operational limits and
the charger is rejecting it. That's just a guess - it could be the
charger itself, the connection,...

How old is the battery, and how many times (roughly) would you have
charged it? Why not buy another and test it out?

(Read at own risk) Sometimes an over discharged battery can be
'kick-started' by applying a suitable voltage to it from a source other
than the charger, but you really need to know what you are doing (and
wear safety glasses!)...