Velocity Reviews

-   -   It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Any advice? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t430084-it-stuck-its-lens-out-and-went-dead-kodak-dc280-frozen-any-advice.html)

David Phillip Oster 10-26-2006 02:31 AM

It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Any advice?

I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
its power switch.

It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.

Any advice on getting it going?

Ken Weitzel 10-26-2006 02:55 AM

Re: It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Anyadvice?

David Phillip Oster wrote:
> I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
> it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
> its power switch.
>
> It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
> batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
>
> Any advice on getting it going?

Hi...

Just a suggestion that's worth trying...

It's possible that the battery contacts inside the camera
corroded a bit, so get a new pencil with an eraser on the end.
Use the eraser end to gently scrub the battery contacts inside
the camera, and try it again.

Take care.

Ken

David Phillip Oster 10-26-2006 04:27 AM

Re: It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Any advice?

In article <TsV%g.197469$R63.53020@pd7urf1no>,
Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:

> David Phillip Oster wrote:
> > I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
> > it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
> > its power switch.
> >
> > It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
> > batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
> >
> > Any advice on getting it going?

> Hi...
>
> Just a suggestion that's worth trying...
>
> It's possible that the battery contacts inside the camera
> corroded a bit, so get a new pencil with an eraser on the end.
> Use the eraser end to gently scrub the battery contacts inside
> the camera, and try it again.
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. Still no signs of life from the
camera. It was a good idea, though.

David Phillip Oster

Dennis Pogson 10-26-2006 08:07 AM

David Phillip Oster wrote:
> In article <TsV%g.197469$R63.53020@pd7urf1no>,
> Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> David Phillip Oster wrote:
>>> I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it
>>> after it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries
>>> and pressed its power switch.
>>>
>>> It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
>>> batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
>>>
>>> Any advice on getting it going?

>> Hi...
>>
>> Just a suggestion that's worth trying...
>>
>> It's possible that the battery contacts inside the camera
>> corroded a bit, so get a new pencil with an eraser on the end.
>> Use the eraser end to gently scrub the battery contacts inside
>> the camera, and try it again.
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>> Ken

> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. Still no signs of life from the
> camera. It was a good idea, though.
>
> David Phillip Oster

I recently revived a binned Nikon Coolpix by simply cleaning out dust from
the front/sides of the lens housing. It has worked ever since!

Charles Schuler 10-26-2006 08:36 PM

"David Phillip Oster" <oster@ieee.org> wrote in message
news:oster-BE4C34.19313625102006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com ...
> I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
> it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
> its power switch.
>
> It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
> batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
>
> Any advice on getting it going?

Did the lens come all the way out? Might be a chunk of grit stuck in there.

Stewy 10-29-2006 02:33 AM

Re: It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Any advice?

In article <oster-BE4C34.19313625102006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com >,
David Phillip Oster <oster@ieee.org> wrote:

> I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
> it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
> its power switch.
>
> It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
> batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
>
> Any advice on getting it going?

If all the other advice fails. Try soaking the whole thing in warm water
(no soap) for half an hour, then leave it in a warm place for a couple
of days to dry out. If that doesn't work, is the camera still under
warranty?

John Turco 10-31-2006 05:02 AM

Stewy wrote:

> In article <oster-BE4C34.19313625102006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com >,
> David Phillip Oster <oster@ieee.org> wrote:
>
> > I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
> > it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
> > its power switch.
> >
> > It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
> > batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
> >
> > Any advice on getting it going?

> If all the other advice fails. Try soaking the whole thing in warm water
> (no soap) for half an hour, then leave it in a warm place for a couple
> of days to dry out. If that doesn't work, is the camera still under
> warranty?

Hello, Stewy:

You're advising somebody to soak a delicate electronic device, such as a
digicam? Are you serious?

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

George Kerby 10-31-2006 02:32 PM

Re: It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Anyadvice?

On 10/30/06 11:02 PM, in article 4546DAA4.D9C64A70@concentric.net, "John
Turco" <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:

> Stewy wrote:
>>
>> In article <oster-BE4C34.19313625102006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com >,
>> David Phillip Oster <oster@ieee.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
>>> it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
>>> its power switch.
>>>
>>> It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
>>> batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
>>>
>>> Any advice on getting it going?

>> If all the other advice fails. Try soaking the whole thing in warm water
>> (no soap) for half an hour, then leave it in a warm place for a couple
>> of days to dry out. If that doesn't work, is the camera still under
>> warranty?

> Hello, Stewy:
>
> You're advising somebody to soak a delicate electronic device, such as a
> digicam? Are you serious?
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

Naw, if he were serious he would have included the soap.

Ron Baird 11-02-2006 04:23 PM

Re: It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Any advice?

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about your camera.

When you replaced the batteries, did you use rechargeables, lithium, or
regular AA batteries. Those cameras took a lot of power at startup and if
the batteries you used were minimal, you might not have had enough power to
boot and things got stuck. Regular alkalines should work and this is quite
unusual but I suppose it could happen that way. Regardless, try fully
charged rechargeables if that is an option for you. Or, try the lithiums.
Even if that is not the problem the batteries will be able to used. Of
course, if you have an adapter for the camera plug it in and try booting
using it.

If none of these work, remove the memory card and try one that you know is
working alright.

If these options do not work then I am afraid you are likely out of luck.
Let me know.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Allodoxaphobia 11-02-2006 05:30 PM

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:23:56 -0500, Ron Baird wrote:

> When you replaced the batteries, did you use rechargeables, lithium, or
> regular AA batteries. Those cameras took a lot of power at startup and if
> the batteries you used were minimal, you might not have had enough power to
> boot and things got stuck. Regular alkalines should work and this is quite
> unusual but I suppose it could happen that way. Regardless, try fully
> charged rechargeables if that is an option for you. Or, try the lithiums.
> Even if that is not the problem the batteries will be able to used. Of
> course, if you have an adapter for the camera plug it in and try booting
> using it.
>
> If none of these work, remove the memory card and try one that you know is
> working alright.

Also, double-check to insure the "Mode Dial" on the back of the camera
is not set/stuck in between two of the 'valid' selections. That happens
to me now and then. Scares the hell out of me each time....

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: <http//jonz.net/ng.htm>