Velocity Reviews

-   -   no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t429996-no-click-memory-stick-not-connecting-into-cyber-shot-dsc-p30.html)

jeff 10-22-2006 02:51 PM

no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

My previous post was a bit unclear; I'll try and clarify the issue:

I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 on Ebay for $40, described as
"in new condition." I received it today and it is in fact in pristine
shape with all documentation, cables, CD and memory stick. This
afternoon I attempted to set it up and take some sample pics. The
problem is that you can't properly insert the memory stick. There's
no "click." I tried pushing it in place with the power on until the
stick is recognized and then closing the cover, but the recognition is
lost; the camera can't read the card - "NO MEMORY STICK." I
played with it a few times and once I was able to push the card into
the camera where it successfully recognized the card, and I was able
to take a few pictures. But that only worked once.

I'm not very concerned about the possibility of having gotten ripped
off for $40. The seller has 100 percent positive feedback and I'm
confident he'll agree to a refund, however, I'd like to keep the
camera instead, if i can get it to work properly. I like the camera.
It was intended as a gift for my young daughter. It's ruggedly
constructed and easy enough to operate for an eight year old.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
generally speaking?

TIA,
Jeff

Dennis Pogson 10-22-2006 03:58 PM

Re: no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

jeff wrote:
> My previous post was a bit unclear; I'll try and clarify the issue:
>
> I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 on Ebay for $40, described as
> "in new condition." I received it today and it is in fact in pristine
> shape with all documentation, cables, CD and memory stick. This
> afternoon I attempted to set it up and take some sample pics. The
> problem is that you can't properly insert the memory stick. There's
> no "click." I tried pushing it in place with the power on until the
> stick is recognized and then closing the cover, but the recognition is
> lost; the camera can't read the card - "NO MEMORY STICK." I
> played with it a few times and once I was able to push the card into
> the camera where it successfully recognized the card, and I was able
> to take a few pictures. But that only worked once.
>
> I'm not very concerned about the possibility of having gotten ripped
> off for $40. The seller has 100 percent positive feedback and I'm
> confident he'll agree to a refund, however, I'd like to keep the
> camera instead, if i can get it to work properly. I like the camera.
> It was intended as a gift for my young daughter. It's ruggedly
> constructed and easy enough to operate for an eight year old.
>
> Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
> generally speaking?
>
> TIA,
> Jeff

Could you not wedge a small piece of foam rubber between the flap and the
top of the memory? The flap would then hold the memory in place.

EF in FLA 10-22-2006 06:36 PM

Re: no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

> Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
> generally speaking?

It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
probably end up regretting it.

ef

Jack Mac 10-23-2006 02:26 AM

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:36:39 GMT, "EF in FLA" <ef@fla.com> wrote:

>> Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
>> generally speaking?
>>

>It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
>probably end up regretting it.
>
>ef

You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.

Jack Mac

jeff 10-23-2006 03:58 AM

Re: no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:26:58 -0400, Jack Mac
<camkcaj@parkspringscommunities.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:36:39 GMT, "EF in FLA" <ef@fla.com> wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
>>> generally speaking?
>>>

>>It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
>>probably end up regretting it.
>>
>>ef
>>

>You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
>The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.
>
>Jack Mac

I know, but if I go out and purchase another Memory Stick and the
fault is within the camera I'll be compelled to purchase another Sony
product. But the suggstion is very reasonable. I know there are
different Memory Stick variations that work with upgraded and newer
Sony models. Where can I find a cheap, standard, 4MB, memory stick
just for the sake of making sure it's not the camera? Thanks, Jeff

jeff 10-23-2006 04:12 AM

Re: no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

realistically, a 64MB memory card rather....

Bill Funk 10-23-2006 04:30 PM

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:12:42 -0400, jeff <jeffp@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>realistically, a 64MB memory card rather....

eBay.
I see on the first page prices under $4 w/$4 shipping.
How cheap do you want?
No friends with Sony cameras? How about a local camera club, or local
computer user group?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

John Turco 10-24-2006 07:06 AM

jeff wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:26:58 -0400, Jack Mac
> <camkcaj@parkspringscommunities.com> wrote:

> >>It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
> >>probably end up regretting it.
> >>
> >>ef
> >>

> >You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
> >The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.
> >
> >Jack Mac

> I know, but if I go out and purchase another Memory Stick and the
> fault is within the camera I'll be compelled to purchase another Sony
> product. But the suggstion is very reasonable. I know there are
> different Memory Stick variations that work with upgraded and newer
> Sony models. Where can I find a cheap, standard, 4MB, memory stick
> just for the sake of making sure it's not the camera? Thanks, Jeff

Hello, Jeff:

Buy a Memory Stick, locally, and save the receipt. If it doesn't work in
your Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30, simply return it, for a refund.

As to the camera, itself, just get your money back, if it still refuses
to behave. There are plenty of cheap, similar models, on eBay.

Be sure to find one that >doesn't< take proprietary memory cards (e.g.,
Memory Stick), next time; choose SD, instead, as it's the most common
type, by far, nowadays.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

jeff 10-24-2006 02:16 PM

On 24 Oct 2006 03:06:12 EDT, John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote:

>jeff wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:26:58 -0400, Jack Mac
>> <camkcaj@parkspringscommunities.com> wrote:

>> >You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
>> >The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.
>> >
>> >Jack Mac

>> I know, but if I go out and purchase another Memory Stick and the
>> fault is within the camera I'll be compelled to purchase another Sony
>> product. But the suggstion is very reasonable. I know there are
>> different Memory Stick variations that work with upgraded and newer
>> Sony models. Where can I find a cheap, standard, 4MB, memory stick
>> just for the sake of making sure it's not the camera? Thanks, Jeff

>Hello, Jeff:
>
>Buy a Memory Stick, locally, and save the receipt. If it doesn't work in
>your Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30, simply return it, for a refund.
>
>As to the camera, itself, just get your money back, if it still refuses
>to behave. There are plenty of cheap, similar models, on eBay.
>
>Be sure to find one that >doesn't< take proprietary memory cards (e.g.,
>Memory Stick), next time; choose SD, instead, as it's the most common
>type, by far, nowadays.
>
>Good luck and happy hunting!
>

>Cordially,
> John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

That's exactly what I had intended on doing, however "Memory Stick
Pro" is what's available in local stores, not "Memory Stick." It's
not compatitble with this older camera. Anyway I ordered a "Memory
Stick" for a few dollars on Ebay. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.
It is an excellent suggestion. The Ebay seller who sold me the camera
already committed to a full refund.

Thanks for all of your responses... it really helped. If the camera
ends up working with a new Memory Stick, which is my hope, I'll let
you know.

Jeff

jeff 10-25-2006 05:33 PM

Re: no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

The camera works fine; it WAS the memory stick. I received a
replacement in the mail today and it works. Removed it, put it in
again, and it worked. I appreciate the advice and suggestions from
the group.

Thanks,
Jeff