Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can camera bags erase memory sticks? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t429640-can-camera-bags-erase-memory-sticks.html)

Creative 10-08-2006 07:07 AM

Can camera bags erase memory sticks?

My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
data from memory sticks etc.

Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.

Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?

Thanks for your help.

Paul Rubin 10-08-2006 07:12 AM

Re: Can camera bags erase memory sticks?

"Creative" <creative@creative.com> writes:
> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new
> camera bag as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does
> not have the anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed
> for use with digital cameras. He told me that putting the camera in,
> and pulling it out of the bag, can create an electrical charge that
> has the potential to erase the data from memory sticks etc.

Hahahahaha, that's a new one, I haven't heard it before. The static
would be much more likely to kill the microprocessors that have been
present in cameras since the 1980's or so.

Randy Berbaum 10-08-2006 08:32 AM

Creative <creative@creative.com> wrote:

: Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory
: stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the
: digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is
: possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?

: Thanks for your help.

You now know who's advice to not trust. This is one person who will always
put increasing profit over being conciencious about their customer.

If memory cards were that poorly designed that this low level of static
would cause damage, every card you have would blow up every time a thunder
storm passed overhead. Yes there is a small amount of static that can be
built up with the friction of inserting the camera and replacing it. But
you can actually generate much more static by pulling a strip of tape from
a roll of cellophane tape. And don't forget that if this is that much of a
problem you must avoid wearing any clothing that could rub against itself
or your skin and build a charge. Also never walk over carpeting. :)

If you are really that nervous, about a static charge in your camera bag,
there are several brands of anti static sprays for clothing or fabrics. Or
just keep an anti static fabric softener sheet in the bag. Also since
staic is much more prevalent in a dry humidity situation, just keep a
moist spongue in your bag to keep the interior air moist. :)

The most vulnerable time for a stray electric charge to damage a memory
card is when it is seperate from the camera and being handled. If the
handler has a charge on their person, and touch one or more of the contact
points, and other contacts contact a grounding surface it might be
possible to jolt the card, but you would really have to try to do this
kind of damage.

JMHO

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

shepshep1@excite.com 10-08-2006 09:56 AM

Creative wrote:
> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
> as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
> anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
> cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
> bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
> data from memory sticks etc.
>
> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
> but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
> probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>
> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
> to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
> camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
> anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
>
> Thanks for your help.

I once left a Sony memory stick in my shirt pocket, I only discovered my
mistake after the shirt had been washed on a 40c cycle, spin dried and
ironed. I put the memory stick into my card reader and it turned out to
be ok, the photos were still on the card with no errors.

bongo rule 10-08-2006 09:57 AM

<shepshep1@excite.com> wrote in message news:DX3Wg.7117$gO3.718@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...
> Creative wrote:
>> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
>> as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
>> anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
>> cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
>> bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
>> data from memory sticks etc.
>>
>> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
>> but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
>> probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
>> to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
>> camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
>> anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

> I once left a Sony memory stick in my shirt pocket, I only discovered my
> mistake after the shirt had been washed on a 40c cycle, spin dried and
> ironed. I put the memory stick into my card reader and it turned out to
> be ok, the photos were still on the card with no errors.

at least you know that you have no dirty pictures on the card :)

David J Taylor 10-08-2006 10:39 AM

Re: Can camera bags erase memory sticks?

shepshep1@excite.com wrote:
[]
> I once left a Sony memory stick in my shirt pocket, I only discovered
> my mistake after the shirt had been washed on a 40c cycle, spin dried
> and ironed. I put the memory stick into my card reader and it turned
> out to be ok, the photos were still on the card with no errors.

.... but, perhaps a little lighter, or desaturated?

<G>

Jer 10-08-2006 11:27 AM

Creative wrote:
> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
> as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
> anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
> cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
> bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
> data from memory sticks etc.
>
> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
> but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
> probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>
> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
> to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
> camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
> anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Would you do me (and your sales droid) a favor? Send me an email to let
me know where this induhvidual is, and I'll send a bitch slap to
somebody who deserves one for trying to sell this crock of shiat.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Scott Schuckert 10-08-2006 01:42 PM

Re: Can camera bags erase memory sticks?

In article <4528a39c$1@clear.net.nz>, Creative <creative@creative.com>
wrote:

> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
> to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
> camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
> anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?

Only if your home computer uses a mouse pad that isn't "Internet
ready." (Yes, I've really seen them marketed that way).

Seriously, I'd be more worried about being hit by a meteorite.

Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\) 10-08-2006 02:53 PM

"Creative" <creative@creative.com> wrote in message
> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera
> bag as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
> anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with
> digital cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out
> of the bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to
> erase the data from memory sticks etc.
>
> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
> but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
> probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
>
> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory
> stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the
> digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is
> possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
>
> Thanks for your help.

this one is similar like that credit cards can be erased by having them in a
wallet made of ....certain electric fish skin.... (can't remember name...)
it was on Discovery channel (mythbusters) and it was totally busted.

Bill Funk 10-08-2006 03:49 PM

Re: Can camera bags erase memory sticks?

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:07:10 +1300, "Creative" <creative@creative.com>
wrote:

>My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
>as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
>anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
>cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
>bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
>data from memory sticks etc.

Didn't he use to work in a computer store?
I think he tried to sell me "digital speakers."
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"