Velocity Reviews

-   -   compact CRASH (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t429129-compact-crash.html)

stevo 09-13-2006 06:11 PM

compact CRASH

OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
compact flash and put it in the card reader. All this like I normally do.

But to my surprise... no images on the CF. Infact, when I put it back in the
camera I got "Err CF".

OK, I can handle loosing the pics... or maybe I can recover them somehow.
But what the heck went wrong.

Tha battery is fine, the camera was off, the card was in correctly.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the camera? Unfortunately, I
only have one CF at the moment, so can't test another.

Ugh!

Ed Ruf 09-13-2006 06:37 PM

Re: compact CRASH

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "stevo"
<stevevick@aptalaska.net> wrote:

>OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
>compact flash and put it in the card reader. All this like I normally do.
>
>But to my surprise... no images on the CF. Infact, when I put it back in the
>camera I got "Err CF".
>
>OK, I can handle loosing the pics... or maybe I can recover them somehow.
>But what the heck went wrong.
>
>Tha battery is fine, the camera was off, the card was in correctly.
>
>Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the camera? Unfortunately, I
>only have one CF at the moment, so can't test another.

When you got the card it should have had Lexar Image Rescue recovery
software on it. Did you copy off the card for use in times like that?
You can try using this to recover the images, as well as test out the
card.
--
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet2@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
http://EdwardGRuf.com

stevo 09-13-2006 07:09 PM

Re: compact CRASH

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "stevo"
> <stevevick@aptalaska.net> wrote:
>
> >OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
> >compact flash and put it in the card reader. All this like I normally do.
> >
> >But to my surprise... no images on the CF. Infact, when I put it back in

the
> >camera I got "Err CF".
> >
> >OK, I can handle loosing the pics... or maybe I can recover them somehow.
> >But what the heck went wrong.
> >
> >Tha battery is fine, the camera was off, the card was in correctly.
> >
> >Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the camera? Unfortunately,

> >only have one CF at the moment, so can't test another.

> When you got the card it should have had Lexar Image Rescue recovery
> software on it. Did you copy off the card for use in times like that?
> You can try using this to recover the images, as well as test out the
> card.
> --
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet2@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

ah, definitely did not see such software on the card. Doesn't mean is wasn't
there... just don't recall anything being on it.

But is my card no fried? What the heck went wrong. It jsut stopped working.

Dave Cohen 09-13-2006 08:51 PM

Re: compact CRASH

stevo wrote:
> "Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "stevo"
>> <stevevick@aptalaska.net> wrote:
>>
>>> OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
>>> compact flash and put it in the card reader. All this like I normally do.
>>>
>>> But to my surprise... no images on the CF. Infact, when I put it back in

> the
>>> camera I got "Err CF".
>>>
>>> OK, I can handle loosing the pics... or maybe I can recover them somehow.
>>> But what the heck went wrong.
>>>
>>> Tha battery is fine, the camera was off, the card was in correctly.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the camera? Unfortunately,

>>> only have one CF at the moment, so can't test another.

>> When you got the card it should have had Lexar Image Rescue recovery
>> software on it. Did you copy off the card for use in times like that?
>> You can try using this to recover the images, as well as test out the
>> card.
>> --
>> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet2@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
>> http://EdwardGRuf.com

> ah, definitely did not see such software on the card. Doesn't mean is wasn't
> there... just don't recall anything being on it.
>
> But is my card no fried? What the heck went wrong. It jsut stopped working.

Not sure if you had seen it if it was free. I use PhotoRescue which
costs. Had I seen the free one below earlier, I would be using that:
http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html

No telling what went wrong with the card. Recover pics if you can, then
format (preferably in camera) and go from there depending on what you find.
Dave Cohen

Allodoxaphobia 09-13-2006 10:45 PM

Re: compact CRASH

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, stevo wrote:
> OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
> compact flash ...

... Before the camera was finished writing the last
image to the CF card maybe?

Not like I've ever done something like that............

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: <http//jonz.net/ng.htm>

Jer 09-14-2006 01:03 AM

Re: compact CRASH

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, stevo wrote:
>> OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
>> compact flash ...

> ... Before the camera was finished writing the last
> image to the CF card maybe?
>
> Not like I've ever done something like that............
>
> Jonesy

Brings up a question... If one turns off their cam before it's finished
dumping the buffer, what's the rule here? Does it finish writing anyway
before powering down, or is that risky enough to not plan on doing that?
Maybe I ought to go test that.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

John McWilliams 09-14-2006 05:12 AM

Re: compact CRASH

Jer wrote:
> Allodoxaphobia wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, stevo wrote:
>>> OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB
>>> 40x
>>> compact flash ...

>> ... Before the camera was finished writing the
>> last image to the CF card maybe?
>>
>> Not like I've ever done something like that............

> Brings up a question... If one turns off their cam before it's finished
> dumping the buffer, what's the rule here? Does it finish writing anyway
> before powering down, or is that risky enough to not plan on doing that?
> Maybe I ought to go test that.

Don't waste your time. Unless you test extensively, you may not find out
it could be very bad Jose to do so. I.e., don't risk it.

--
John McWilliams

stevo 09-14-2006 05:53 AM

Re: compact CRASH

"Dave Cohen" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> stevo wrote:
> > "Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message

40x

do.

in
> > the

somehow.

Unfortunately,
> >> When you got the card it should have had Lexar Image Rescue recovery
> >> software on it. Did you copy off the card for use in times like that?
> >> You can try using this to recover the images, as well as test out the
> >> card.
> >> --
> >> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet2@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
> >> http://EdwardGRuf.com

> > ah, definitely did not see such software on the card. Doesn't mean is

wasn't
> > there... just don't recall anything being on it.
> >
> > But is my card no fried? What the heck went wrong. It jsut stopped

working.

> Not sure if you had seen it if it was free. I use PhotoRescue which
> costs. Had I seen the free one below earlier, I would be using that:
> http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
>
> No telling what went wrong with the card. Recover pics if you can, then
> format (preferably in camera) and go from there depending on what you

find.
> Dave Cohen

There's a free one!?!? Crap! I just spent $40 on one.

It works really well though... :)

stevo 09-14-2006 05:55 AM

Re: compact CRASH

"Dave Cohen" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> stevo wrote:
> > "Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message

40x

do.

in
> > the

somehow.

Unfortunately,
> >> When you got the card it should have had Lexar Image Rescue recovery
> >> software on it. Did you copy off the card for use in times like that?
> >> You can try using this to recover the images, as well as test out the
> >> card.
> >> --
> >> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet2@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
> >> http://EdwardGRuf.com

> > ah, definitely did not see such software on the card. Doesn't mean is

wasn't
> > there... just don't recall anything being on it.
> >
> > But is my card no fried? What the heck went wrong. It jsut stopped

working.

> Not sure if you had seen it if it was free. I use PhotoRescue which
> costs. Had I seen the free one below earlier, I would be using that:
> http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
>
> No telling what went wrong with the card. Recover pics if you can, then
> format (preferably in camera) and go from there depending on what you

find.
> Dave Cohen

There's a free one?!?! CRAP! I just spent $40 on one.

Works really well though and I imagine it will come in handy more than once.

Jack Torrence 09-14-2006 06:28 AM

Re: compact CRASH

"stevo" <stevevick@aptalaska.net> wrote in message
> OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
> compact flash and put it in the card reader. All this like I normally do.
>
> But to my surprise... no images on the CF. Infact, when I put it back in
> the
> camera I got "Err CF".
>
> OK, I can handle loosing the pics... or maybe I can recover them somehow.
> But what the heck went wrong.
>
> Tha battery is fine, the camera was off, the card was in correctly.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the camera? Unfortunately, I
> only have one CF at the moment, so can't test another.

Had a similar problem with a SD card in a Canon S3 IS. Viewed the pics on
the camera then turned it off. Went to put the card in my laptop card reader
and was unable to read the card. Put it back in the camera and no images
present, camera also refused to take a picture saying card was full.

Recovery software couldn't read the card either. Had to format it first then
recover the pictures. Not sure if the problem was down to the card or the
camera. Replaced the card just in case. Hope Canon don't have a problem with
their cameras that causes these problems.