Velocity Reviews

-   -   flash card recovery (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t428837-flash-card-recovery.html)

Roy G 09-01-2006 10:41 AM

flash card recovery

A friend has asked if I can try to recover pictures from an XD card.

It seems that only 14 out of the 100 or so on the card are usable. From #15
onwards the icons all have a red "?" and won't open.

I have no experience of this sort of error, and wonder if anyone here can
offer some advice, in advance of the card being delivered to me.

Roy G

ASAAR 09-01-2006 01:44 PM

Re: flash card recovery

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:41:24 GMT, Roy G wrote:

> A friend has asked if I can try to recover pictures from an XD card.
>
> It seems that only 14 out of the 100 or so on the card are usable. From #15
> onwards the icons all have a red "?" and won't open.
>
> I have no experience of this sort of error, and wonder if anyone here can
> offer some advice, in advance of the card being delivered to me.

Is this error shown by the camera or by a computer? If the
latter, and the pictures can be viewed in the camera, see if the
camera will be able to transfer the pictures to the computer using a
USB cable.

If the xD card was in a card reader when the errors were seen,
check the card to see if it's one of the newer type "H" xD cards. I
recently bought (and returned) a Sandisk card adapter. It was
compatible with all of my xD cards save one, a new type "H" 1 GB xD
card. The computer had no problem seeing the card, but was totally
confused by its file system. I had no problems reading any of the
cards using the computer's built-in card reader, although it is
quite a bit slower.

If errors are seen when the card is in the camera and also when it
is in a reader, then there's probably nothing you can do other than
try to use a disk recovery utility program. Ask your friend if the
card was ever formatted, and if it was, whether it was last
formatted in a card reader. That can cause problems if the wrong
format is used. When using "My Computer" recently to format the
flash RAM in an mp3 player which has two USB modes, I discovered
that in one mode there's no control over what type of format is used
and no information about it is given. In the other USB mode, I was
given not only a choice between FAT and FAT32, but also could use
automatic or manually selected allocation block sizes.

After you've done all that you can, the xD card should be
formatted in the camera and then tested by taking some more pictures
to see if the problem has disappeared or if it is still there. Also
(and especially if the card is 512MB or larger) see if the camera is
compatible with cards of that capacity. You may not be able to rely
on the camera's manual, as the one for my Fuji S5100 only shows that
it will work with card sizes up to 512MB, but it actually works with
1 GB xD cards. Other Fuji cameras sold when I bought the S5100
aren't compatible with 1GB cards.

Roy G 09-01-2006 02:57 PM

Re: flash card recovery

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:41:24 GMT, Roy G wrote:
>

> Is this error shown by the camera or by a computer? If the
> latter, and the pictures can be viewed in the camera, see if the
> camera will be able to transfer the pictures to the computer using a
> USB cable.
>
> If the xD card was in a card reader when the errors were seen,
> check the card to see if it's one of the newer type "H" xD cards. I
> recently bought (and returned) a Sandisk card adapter. It was
> compatible with all of my xD cards save one, a new type "H" 1 GB xD
> card. The computer had no problem seeing the card, but was totally
> confused by its file system. I had no problems reading any of the
> cards using the computer's built-in card reader, although it is
> quite a bit slower.
>
> If errors are seen when the card is in the camera and also when it
> is in a reader, then there's probably nothing you can do other than
> try to use a disk recovery utility program. Ask your friend if the
> card was ever formatted, and if it was, whether it was last
> formatted in a card reader. That can cause problems if the wrong
> format is used. When using "My Computer" recently to format the
> flash RAM in an mp3 player which has two USB modes, I discovered
> that in one mode there's no control over what type of format is used
> and no information about it is given. In the other USB mode, I was
> given not only a choice between FAT and FAT32, but also could use
> automatic or manually selected allocation block sizes.
>
> After you've done all that you can, the xD card should be
> formatted in the camera and then tested by taking some more pictures
> to see if the problem has disappeared or if it is still there. Also
> (and especially if the card is 512MB or larger) see if the camera is
> compatible with cards of that capacity. You may not be able to rely
> on the camera's manual, as the one for my Fuji S5100 only shows that
> it will work with card sizes up to 512MB, but it actually works with
> 1 GB xD cards. Other Fuji cameras sold when I bought the S5100
> aren't compatible with 1GB cards.

Thanks Asaar.

Even if I can not get anything off that card, at least I now know that my
wife's S5100 can use 1Gb Cards.

I don't think I will get the Camera, just the card. It belongs to the son
of a friend who was on Holiday in Canada, and I do not think they would want
the card to be formatted.

I will even give that HP Slooooow Built In Reader another chance.

Roy G

Dave Cohen 09-01-2006 04:36 PM

Re: flash card recovery

Roy G wrote:
> A friend has asked if I can try to recover pictures from an XD card.
>
> It seems that only 14 out of the 100 or so on the card are usable. From #15
> onwards the icons all have a red "?" and won't open.
>
> I have no experience of this sort of error, and wonder if anyone here can
> offer some advice, in advance of the card being delivered to me.
>
> Roy G

Recovery manager from:
http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
is free and works well assuming images were stored on card.
Dave Cohen

Roy G 09-01-2006 04:41 PM

Re: flash card recovery

"Dave Cohen" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> Roy G wrote:
>> A friend has asked if I can try to recover pictures from an XD card.
>>
>> It seems that only 14 out of the 100 or so on the card are usable. From
>> onwards the icons all have a red "?" and won't open.
>>
>> I have no experience of this sort of error, and wonder if anyone here can
>> offer some advice, in advance of the card being delivered to me.
>>
>> Roy G
>>

> Recovery manager from:
> http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
> is free and works well assuming images were stored on card.
> Dave Cohen

Thanks Dave.

Roy G

garygeorge33@gmail.com 02-06-2013 04:06 AM

Re: flash card recovery

Hi
I was in the same problem that you are going through. I have lost all my data from my flash card due to accidental formatting. But thanks to god, one of my friends recommended me memory card recovery software named Unformat Drive, which is capable to perform formatted flash card recovery. You can download this tool from internet by going through below provided link in order to recover data from f lash card.
Website: http://www.unformatdrive.com/memory-card.html
Download: http://www.unformatdrive.com/download/unformatdrive.exe

nospam 02-06-2013 04:14 AM

Re: flash card recovery

In article <ea7c9261-8904-4e7b-a464-107e3ab2b6c1@googlegroups.com>,
<garygeorge33@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I was in the same problem that you are going through.

no you weren't you lying spammer, not to mention your english sucks.

> I have lost all my data

good. maybe you'll lose your usenet access for spamming.

Me 02-06-2013 05:44 AM

Re: flash card recovery

On 6/02/2013 5:06 p.m., garygeorge33@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
> I was in the same problem that you are going through. I have lost all my data from my flash card due to accidental formatting. But thanks to god, one of my friends recommended me memory card recovery software named Unformat Drive, which is capable to perform formatted flash card recovery. You can download this tool from internet by going through below provided link in order to recover data from f lash card.
> Website: http://www.unformatdrive.com/memory-card.html
> Download: http://www.unformatdrive.com/download/unformatdrive.exe

There's better software available for free, not $128.00
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Wolfgang Weisselberg 02-11-2013 09:03 PM

Re: flash card recovery

Me <me@anywherebuthere.com> wrote:
> On 6/02/2013 5:06 p.m., garygeorge33@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi…

[spammer claims to have found panacea, magical silver bullet and world peace]
>> Website: [snip]
>> Download: [snip]
>>

> There's better software available for free, not $128.00

[snip URL]

Don't answer spammers. If you answer them, at least neuter
their spammy URL payload.

-Wolfgang