Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is 12x optical zoom ona 10 mp digital camera good enough for shooting surfers from the beach? Thanks! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t428741-is-12x-optical-zoom-ona-10-mp-digital-camera-good-enough-for-shooting-surfers-from-the-beach-thanks.html)

drelliot@gmail.com 08-27-2006 09:40 PM

mianileng@yahoo.com 08-27-2006 10:35 PM

Re: Is 12x optical zoom ona 10 mp digital camera good enough for shooting surfers from the beach? Thanks!

drelliot@gmail.com wrote:

> Is 12x optical zoom on a 10 mp digital camera good enough for shooting
> surfers from the beach? Thanks!

Judging from the only two parameters you gave, by "good
enough", I assume you're asking if you can zoom the
surfer close enough. It depends on how close you are to
the surfers.

If you're talking about the new 10 MP Pana FZ50 with its
420mm lens - a 6-foot surfer standing straight up, shot
from a distance of 100 ft at max focal length, will nearly
fill the height of the image in 4:3 mode, and will be
slightly too big to fit in the frame in 3:2 mode.

Joseph Meehan 08-27-2006 10:36 PM

drelliot@gmail.com wrote:
> Is 12x optical zoom on a 10 mp digital camera good enough for shooting
> surfers from the beach? Thanks!

That is sort of asking if a car is good enough if it has a speedometer
that goes up to 120 mph and a 20 gallon gas tank.

We need a little more information about the camera (make and model would
be nice) and your needs. What I would want for a beach camera may be far
different than you would. Finally there are question about your camera
experience and the quality results you are expecting?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Bob Williams 08-27-2006 10:37 PM

drelliot@gmail.com wrote:
> Is 12x optical zoom on a 10 mp digital camera good enough for shooting
> surfers from the beach? Thanks!

Depends on how far away the surfers are and how good is good enough for
your particular application.
To get an IDEA of what the camera will see, look thru a pair of 8 -10X
power Binoculars.
They should have 400-500mm lenses.
Most 12X Zooms have max. focal length of 432mm
Bob Williams

drelliot@gmail.com 08-27-2006 10:42 PM

Re: Is 12x optical zoom ona 10 mp digital camera good enough for shooting surfers from the beach? Thanks!

Thanks!

I'm just looking for some ballpark figures.

Yes--it's the 12x zoom 10 mp panasonic.

I was just wondeirng what others might have used for successful surfing
prhotography form the shore.

Thanks!

Best,

Elliot

Mardon 08-27-2006 11:57 PM

drelliot@gmail.com wrote:

> Is 12x optical zoom on a 10 mp digital camera good enough for
> shooting surfers from the beach? Thanks!

As others have already said essentially what I will say. It depends
totally on your definition of "good enough". My sister has a Canon
PowerShot S3 IS with a 12x optical zoom and 6.0 mega pixels. She
loves her camera and is extremely happy with both its zoom ability
and its overall performance. She showed me a crop from one of her
images that let her read a license plate from what I would estimate
to be about 150 meters away. IMHO 12x would probably produce images
that are "big enough" if you are not too far away. OTOH, I would be
very unhappy if my only camera were one like hers. At full zoom, her
camera shows a very marked loss of contrast, colour fringing, lack of
edge definition and other problems. To my eye, no P&S camera can
give "good enough" results. That's why I have a Canon dSLR and all
"L" lenses. Like I said at the beginning, it depends totally on your
personal definition of "good enough".

Frank ess 08-28-2006 12:43 AM

Mardon wrote:
> drelliot@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Is 12x optical zoom on a 10 mp digital camera good enough for
>> shooting surfers from the beach? Thanks!

> As others have already said essentially what I will say. It depends
> totally on your definition of "good enough". My sister has a Canon
> PowerShot S3 IS with a 12x optical zoom and 6.0 mega pixels. She
> loves her camera and is extremely happy with both its zoom ability
> and its overall performance. She showed me a crop from one of her
> images that let her read a license plate from what I would estimate
> to be about 150 meters away. IMHO 12x would probably produce images
> that are "big enough" if you are not too far away. OTOH, I would be
> very unhappy if my only camera were one like hers. At full zoom, her
> camera shows a very marked loss of contrast, colour fringing, lack
> of
> edge definition and other problems. To my eye, no P&S camera can
> give "good enough" results. That's why I have a Canon dSLR and all
> "L" lenses. Like I said at the beginning, it depends totally on
> your
> personal definition of "good enough".

If the OP ever gets a chance to observe surfsport photographers at
work, he will see they have even more stringent requirements than do
birders. They use BIG LONG lenses (600mm and up) and super-sturdy
tripods.

I used a Nikon CP8700 with add-on telephoto extender, equivalent to
about 480mm, if I recall correctly. From the beach, it made nice
scenics of waves and athletes on boards. From the pier it showed a few
pretty well-filled frames. All that to indicate you either get a BIG
LONG lens, or you get close.

Local conditions may vary, but most surfside atmosphere is heavy with
humidity, and even the best lenses' production is often degraded.

It's another case of "If you intend making a career of it, it requires
serious investment of study and equipment". A casual shooter might be
satisfied with what comes out of a 12x small-sensor camera, but it
won't measure up to what shows up in the magazines.

--
Frank ess

Joseph Meehan 08-28-2006 12:48 AM

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> drelliot@gmail.com wrote:
>> Is 12x optical zoom on a 10 mp digital camera good enough for
>> shooting surfers from the beach? Thanks!

> That is sort of asking if a car is good enough if it has a
> speedometer that goes up to 120 mph and a 20 gallon gas tank.
>
> We need a little more information about the camera (make and model
> would be nice) and your needs. What I would want for a beach camera
> may be far different than you would. Finally there are question
> about your camera experience and the quality results you are
> expecting?

Rereading your message I see I did not properly read it. You want to do
surfers from the beach. Well two points. 12X does not mean what most
people might think it means. It is not like binoculars where a 12X
binocular would make something appear 12 times closer. What it means is
something will appear 12 times larger at the long end than the short end.
However they usually have a wide angle on the short end so the long end is
often something like 6 times larger than normal would be. That will vary
depending on the camera.

You will be able to get some good photos with the typical such camera,
but it will not be anywhere close to the kind of results you might see in
magazines etc, where they photographers are using lenses that cost far more
than any camera you are looking at.

Some places you can get some very nice shoots close to shore (depends on
the surf) so at those locations the equipment becomes less important.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Ron Hunter 08-28-2006 01:32 AM

drelliot@gmail.com wrote:
> Is 12x optical zoom on a 10 mp digital camera good enough for shooting
> surfers from the beach? Thanks!

Well, it is better than no zoom, but without a good IS, you might not
get stable enough pictures for good use. 12X is pretty good for a zoom.

Stewy 08-28-2006 01:39 AM

Re: Is 12x optical zoom ona 10 mp digital camera good enough for shooting surfers from the beach? Thanks!

In article <g8pIg.7611$Mz3.5736@fed1read07>,
Bob Williams <mytbob@cox.nospam.net> wrote:

> drelliot@gmail.com wrote:
> > Is 12x optical zoom on a 10 mp digital camera good enough for shooting
> > surfers from the beach? Thanks!
> >

> Depends on how far away the surfers are and how good is good enough for
> your particular application.
> To get an IDEA of what the camera will see, look thru a pair of 8 -10X
> power Binoculars.
> They should have 400-500mm lenses.
> Most 12X Zooms have max. focal length of 432mm
> Bob Williams

Also keep in mind that the 12x starts from wide-angle. My camera has a
6x optical zoom from 35-210mm equiv. So that's only around 4x actual
magnification.