Velocity Reviews

-   -   is a refurb dslr/advanced p&s as good as a new one? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t428626-is-a-refurb-dslr-advanced-p-and-s-as-good-as-a-new-one.html)

bruin70@mail.com 08-22-2006 08:55 PM

is a refurb dslr/advanced p&s as good as a new one?

like,,,i buy my computers refurbed because they get the same warrantee
and with computers is only a matter of replacing bad parts with good.
are dslr's and advanced point and shoot the same way? aside from
cosmetics, are you comfortable with a refurbed or even a used digital
camera?

Gene Palmiter 08-22-2006 09:31 PM

Re: is a refurb dslr/advanced p&s as good as a new one?

I like refurbes. The product on the shelf might have been assembled by a
monkey...the best techs work with refurbs and check everything. Some
products are returned for no good reason...operator error...the only concern
I would have is hot pixels...nothing is going to make them good and you
should test for that and return if there are too many....and maybe one is
too many.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

news:1156280115.066116.70190@p79g2000cwp.googlegro ups.com...

bruin70@mail.com 08-22-2006 09:49 PM

Gene Palmiter wrote:

>the only concern
> I would have is hot pixels...nothing is going to make them good and you
> should test for that and return if there are too many....and maybe one is
> too many.

what is a "hot pixel"?

Roy G 08-22-2006 10:23 PM

news:1156283381.035191.193590@h48g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...

> Gene Palmiter wrote:
>
>>the only concern
>> I would have is hot pixels...nothing is going to make them good and you
>> should test for that and return if there are too many....and maybe one is
>> too many.

> what is a "hot pixel"?

The opposite of what it sounds like. It is a Dead Pixel. One which does not
work anymore.

One is not a problem, but a bunch of them could be.

Unlike Computers, Cameras are not user serviceable.

There is no way you can open them up, take out a bit and put in a
replacement. Factory refurbs can be Ok, but.......

Roy G

Stewy 08-22-2006 10:58 PM

Re: is a refurb dslr/advanced p&s as good as a new one?

In article <1156283381.035191.193590@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups .com>,
bruin70@mail.com wrote:

> Gene Palmiter wrote:
>
> >the only concern
> > I would have is hot pixels...nothing is going to make them good and you
> > should test for that and return if there are too many....and maybe one is
> > too many.

> what is a "hot pixel"?

It's a cold pixel warmed up! Well, actually it's a dead pixel stuck on
one colour.

Dave Cohen 08-22-2006 11:51 PM

Gene Palmiter wrote:
> I like refurbes. The product on the shelf might have been assembled by a
> monkey...the best techs work with refurbs and check everything. Some
> products are returned for no good reason...operator error...the only concern
> I would have is hot pixels...nothing is going to make them good and you
> should test for that and return if there are too many....and maybe one is
> too many.

Tell us more about the use of monkeys for assembling complex products -
I've never come across this before.
Dave Cohen

David J Taylor 08-23-2006 07:53 AM

bruin70@mail.com wrote:
> like,,,i buy my computers refurbed because they get the same warrantee
> and with computers is only a matter of replacing bad parts with good.
> are dslr's and advanced point and shoot the same way? aside from
> cosmetics, are you comfortable with a refurbed or even a used digital
> camera?

It might even be better, as today's 8MP cameras may not produce better
images (depending how you use them) compared to yesterday's 5MP cameras.
In general though, today's ZLR cameras are faster focussing and more
usable than those of before. Try the camera before buying.

David

Bigguy 08-23-2006 08:14 AM

Re: is a refurb dslr/advanced p&s as good as a new one?

As long as they come with a good guarantee they are excellent value.

Guy

ASAAR 08-23-2006 09:19 AM

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:23:31 GMT, Roy G wrote:

> The opposite of what it sounds like. It is a Dead Pixel. One which does not
> work anymore.
>
> One is not a problem, but a bunch of them could be.
>
> Unlike Computers, Cameras are not user serviceable.
>
> There is no way you can open them up, take out a bit and put in a
> replacement. Factory refurbs can be Ok, but.......

I've heard some DSLR owners (about a year ago and probably Canon
owners) describing how they returned their cameras to have bad
pixels mapped out. Some brands have models with a bad pixel mapping
option in the camera's setup menu. Olympus is one, and I'm only
assuming that other brands also offer the same feature.

David J Taylor 08-23-2006 10:01 AM

Re: is a refurb dslr/advanced p&s as good as a new one?

ASAAR wrote:
[]
> I've heard some DSLR owners (about a year ago and probably Canon
> owners) describing how they returned their cameras to have bad
> pixels mapped out. Some brands have models with a bad pixel mapping
> option in the camera's setup menu. Olympus is one, and I'm only
> assuming that other brands also offer the same feature.

I believe that not many offer the pixel-remapping feature - it is not
common.

David